Cricket

LittleNoah

So you'd rate Ponting over Barry Richards, Graeme Pollock, Neil Harvey, Everton Weekes, Sunil Gavaskar, Frank Worrell, George Hedley, Len Hutton and moderns such as Sachin Tendulkar, Mark and Steve Waugh (who ground it out against far superior bowlers in their day)

As far as criticism goes Ponting has got a few players that would make any test side Hussey, Clarke, Stuart Clarke, he is far from inspiring as a captain a least Frank worrell and Richie Benaud made a sporting gesture of the 1960 - 61 tour and they were gentlemen of the game in the true sense!

Yes, statistically I would rate Ponting over those mentioned and by the time he retires so should you. He's just been voted equal best cricketer in Australia for the last season and that was a bad year by his standards. Your trying to tell me he's rubbish. Get a grip. Ponting would be one of the first picked in any test side in the world.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed on the AB medal that in the last 12 months we beat the windies 3 nil and one of those games came down to the wire, been beaten by India, smashed by sth africa, there was another ( shri lanka I think) someone will correct me if i am wrong and now bloody KIWIS!!!! KIWI DAN must be loving it!!

How do you replace glenn mcgrath and shane warne?? get used to it guys our reign has come to and end! did anyone else feel that we were getting enough runs but just couldnt stop the opposition from getting more? In years gone by our bowlers would have won most of those games for us. full credit to sth africa but I cant help feeling some of our strike power just isnt there anymore with the ball. what do you guys think?

pete.

I agree our current bowlers have got nothing on the likes of warne and mcgrath, but, I reckon they're also pretty good. If you look at the last game against the kiwis for example, we only got 181 with the bat, then it took every ball of the 50 overs for the kiwis to get the required runs to beet us, so the bowlers didn't do too bad there, I reckon it's the top order batesman where our problems lie.

Just heard Phil Hughes has been selected as Hayden's replacement for the SA tour :thumbup: . Great young cricketer who's going to get a lot of runs in international cricket, in my opinion.

Good to see that the collective minds of the selectors is a better cricketing brain (only just though) than Ponting who wanted to go with experience, in the likes of the recovering Jacques who hasn't performed since his return.

Cheers.

Mate, im not saying ponting is a bad cricketer, Im saying he is a terrible captain.......those are two different things......

And mate a measure of a man is how they hold themselves, no way and i mean absolutely no way would Steve Waugh or Allan border have bowled part timers to catch up an over rate to save a suspension, especially when the game was there for the taking...Mate they would have done everything to win even if they got suspension for 10 matches.....

Mate i will always rate Players like Steve Waugh as better batsmen then Ponting, Waugh face them all and succedded......Hadlee, Botham, Ambrose, Akram, Younis, Walsh.....he faced the best of the best and became one of the worlds best.....and dont foget....waugh was actually selected in 85 for his bowling more so then his batting...

Mate, im not saying ponting is a bad cricketer, Im saying he is a terrible captain.......those are two different things......

And mate a measure of a man is how they hold themselves, no way and i mean absolutely no way would Steve Waugh or Allan border have bowled part timers to catch up an over rate to save a suspension, especially when the game was there for the taking...Mate they would have done everything to win even if they got suspension for 10 matches.....

Mate i will always rate Players like Steve Waugh as better batsmen then Ponting, Waugh face them all and succedded......Hadlee, Botham, Ambrose, Akram, Younis, Walsh.....he faced the best of the best and became one of the worlds best.....and dont foget....waugh was actually selected in 85 for his bowling more so then his batting...

Agree with what you say, except Mark was a classier batsman than Steve. Steve was tougher, though.

Yes, statistically I would rate Ponting over those mentioned and by the time he retires so should you. He's just been voted equal best cricketer in Australia for the last season and that was a bad year by his standards. Your trying to tell me he's rubbish. Get a grip. Ponting would be one of the first picked in any test side in the world.

Ponting - Tests 128 average 56.87

Pollock - Tests 23 average 60.97

Ponting - Tests 128 average 56.87

Pollock - Tests 23 average 60.97

exactly right luderick angler Pollock only played 23 test and 41 innings for his 60.97

Ponting has managed to play at the highest level for 128 test and an astonishing 215 innings and is still maintaining an average of 56.87.

If Pollock had of managed to play for that long who knows what his average would have been. Could have been higher but as a general rule most averages come down over time due to form sumps etc.

Yeah Steve Waugh was a great cricketer that's for sure. I just wonder how he'd go with the current crop with no Warne and McGrath to come to the rescue.

Yes I agree that Ponting made a mistake using those part timers.

We all try to compare batsmen or captains. I spose the only way to get an accurate messure is from stats.I'm sure Ricky Ponting has faced some decent bowlers in 128 test and 215 innings.

Could have been higher but as a general rule most averages come down over time due to form sumps etc.

Mate from memorie Steve waugh averaged over 65 in his last 70 Tests, if you look at most great batsmen they tend to average alot more in the later part of there career, not the other way around

Graeme Pollock and co from that Sth African side went on to become mercanaries and if you remember Barry Richards scored 300 in a day for Sth Australia against a coming of age Lillee and they had a Tony Lock!

Sachin Tendulkar has played 30 more tests and averages 54 and is still scoring centuries! Remeber the last series, i do not argue Ponting is a great player but to rate as the next best behind Bradman he is no where near Bradman who was that Bradman referred to as the batsmen most like himself? You forgot Sobers who in 1971 scored 254 in a day against what was the best side behind a sanctioned Sth Africa an innings lauded by the don, and arguably sobers at the time had marital problems was known for his battle wit h the drink and only had 3 years remaining in his career but could score that on the MCG for the World XI even lillee praised that one!

It is the case great players and those in this calibre of Tendulkar et all produce even the great Clive Lloyd did not let the captaincy affect his batting and he was arguably the best captain of the modern game the fact his four prong pace tactic was derived from the admiration of an Australian side that thrashed hishere in the 74 - 75 series!

I rest my case Ponting may be a great player but he does not produce or inspire when required at the crucial moment he fails to take the bull by the horns and treated individuals appallingly at times!

this has all been coming for years as no player will honestly retire without a whisper in their ear first,except probably warnie who might of seen what was coming and thought he had better be the first to go.

Consequently a generation of players never played top level cricket and the lot playing now dont believe in themselves and have a captain who wouldnt die for them like steve waugh or kick their arse like allan border would.

Ricky Ponting is only as good as his advisors and without warnie,lehman and gilchrist doesnt know where to turn when it gets tough.

this could be unaustralian but if the aussies keep being favourites ill back the other mob. . again.

ps Ricky Ponting and others, how many times do you need to spit on a cricket field?

series prediction NZ4-1

At the end of the day, all these guys are and were great players. There is alot of variables you could argue over who faced the best bowlers from which era. Some say the great fast bowlers like the West Indians. What about the greatest wicket taker of them all Murali. Wonder how the old greats would fare against him? You could go one all day about old vs new. I guess we can only judge Ponting's record when he retires.

At the end of the day, all these guys are and were great players. There is alot of variables you could argue over who faced the best bowlers from which era. Some say the great fast bowlers like the West Indians. What about the greatest wicket taker of them all Murali. Wonder how the old greats would fare against him? You could go one all day about old vs new. I guess we can only judge Ponting's record when he retires.

dont get me started on murali!!!! they changed the rules so he could keep bowling - if hes not a chucker I will eat my hat!

In my opinion, the rot began to set in when we lost Justin Langer to retirement. Hayden and Langer were simply awesome openers, perhaps the best ever! They almost always got us off to a huge start and they'd put the fear of god up the opposition bowlers.

Now we can't take wickets, our bowlers score more runs than our batsmen.......oh i feel ill :wacko:

Cheers

Red

• 1 month later...

After having previously roasted our aussie skipper in this forum, i am happy to revive this old topic to give Punter a wrap. Aussies are whoopin ass and it is great to see the youngster (Hughes) flogging those Africans with the bat and Johnson tearing them apart with the ball.

By all accounts, punter's leadership off the paddock has been first rate. Maybe because he is no longer influenced by the old guard. Great to see a new breed of keen up and comers who are not yet full of themselves, playing with unaffected confidence and deservedly winning. There is a good collection of honest toilers who have earned their opportunity and are making the most of it.

Edited by humesy

............ it is great to see the youngster (Hughes) flogging those Africans with the bat and Johnson tearing them apart with the ball.

Thanks for the update on the bat tactics Andrew. No wonder those Africans run so fast and it's good to hear that those non performing regulation balls have been replaced with something with spikes on.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

After having previously roasted our aussie skipper in this forum, i am happy to revive this old topic to give Punter a wrap. Aussies are whoopin ass and it is great to see the youngster (Hughes) flogging those Africans with the bat and Johnson tearing them apart with the ball.

By all accounts, punter's leadership off the paddock has been first rate. Maybe because he is no longer influenced by the old guard. Great to see a new breed of keen up and comers who are not yet full of themselves, playing with unaffected confidence and deservedly winning. There is a good collection of honest toilers who have earned their opportunity and are making the most of it.

Its great to see the aussies on the right track again - one swallow doesnt make a summer though!!!

having said that, maybe I am just a little too hard as we seem to be really kicking their butts atm.

One thing that never ceases to amaze me about this great country we live in when it comes to sport is, for such a small country we keep producing champions. When 1 goes it doesnt take too long for another to emerge, this is what seems to be now happening in SA! Lets hope so anyway - I love living in a country that is no1!!!!

Pete

I knew they would come good again. Mitchell Johnson was not happy with just breaking Smiths little finger on one hand, he had to even it up by breaking the little finger on the other hand, and also breaking some South African hearts. Him combined with Hughes have made us yet again the ones to beat.

Heres to the next umpteen years of the unbeatabkle Aussies.

Go you good thing

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanager

Yes the Aussies appear to be back on top. Interesting to see how these young guys handle their first Ashes series. Australia still should dominate but I feel it'll be a true test to see where they are at.

Great to see the Aussie team get back to some winning form, but in all honestly SA has been dismal so far this series, Bad bowling and some Terrrible batting have contributed to the result, I think the real test will be when we next play India as i really beleive them to be the 2nd best team at the moment.

But have to admit, Johnson is becoming a Great Test bowler....hopefully his form and growth continues

Looks like everyone is back on the Ponting/Aussie bandwagon ! Amazing turnaround .. very impressed with the performance of this 'young inexperienced team'.

I am not a cricket diehard but do enjoy watching the tests. Peter Roebuck can go eat humble pie !!

Little Noah'

mate you need your head read. either that or you dont know stuff all about cricket.

all you need to do is look at pontings stats both as a player and as a captain to see that he is the best player by far in Australia and has close to the best captaincy record an australian captain has ever achieved.

:1prop:

Edited by frangkie