Bait

capo dei capi

hey fishraiders just thinking about using some chicken, and meat on my next trip out fishing... i fish of a wharf that produces some nice bream whiting flathead trevallies and a mixed bag of pelagics.. ive heard that the chicken can produce some nice bream ive never tried it though i was wondering what part of the chicken should be used and what type of meat, and also if anyone knows any other different types of baits besides the usual prawns squid n pilchard

hey mate

ive never used chicken or meat for bait either but from what ive read use the chicken breast and steak is also suppose to be a decent bait, other alternative baits you could try are live poddy mullet, whitebait or whiteyes ,nippers, mullet fillets ect...hope this helps a bit

cheers steve

Hey guys,

recently I was wondering the same thing about the chicken and steak, after some advice on here and some experimenting I reckon straight up raw chicken breast kicks @ss! stays on hook well and easy to shape and size. caught bream, tailor, herring, yakkas, snapper, whiting and more on chicken.

I only used steak once, and i dont think it was skirt steak(which is meant to be best), but I didnt have many hits.

also beach & blood worms are buyable and gr8

Hope this helps,

Simmo

mate with chicken, chicken breast is the way to go.

With steak i use silverside steak. When you go to woolies in the steak section of the meat fridge look for steaks that are called something on the lines of " Steak eye Heart smart" on the sticket docket. I can never remember its name but i will take a photo of it when i go to woolies next. It costs about $24/kilo and they sell it in 400-500g serves. The good thing about this steak is that it is very veiny and will never get off the hook unless you physically rip it off yourself. It works wonders and have been using it for years in the georges river without fail for bream, flatties and the odd jewie...

I have found though with both chicken and steak that it works better in muddier, murkier waters like the georges. I have tried it in the hacking with some limited success, though baits such as pilchards are still the better way to go there.

I have been using chicken, pork and beef for catching yakkas and slimy macks for several years and the occasional trev, flattie, bream etc is handy throughout the harbour. Doesn't matter what type just get the cheapest as they are often the tougher cuts which last longer. I did try minced meat (rolled in flour) like the old Mediterranean guys do but the bait is very easily lost.

As the meat is very hardy it takes a while to lose it unlike pillies or prawns (especially with sabiki bait catching rigs). The :wife: or kids also love fishing with this as the smell is magnitudes less on your hands.

Just don't expect to be catching monsters of the deep but I find these meats excellent at catching bait fish and always have a burley stream going (can be bread, meat offcuts even old cooked meat shredded/minced).

When I first started fishing early last year, I fancied a fishing session but had no bait - but there was some out of date steak in the freezer so I used that. Caught a flattie on it on my first cast :)

I have never tried since then, as I have gotten better at making sure I always have pillies or prawns in the freezer for an unplanned sesh, but might give it another try after the positive reports here. :1fishing1: