Port Stephens

fishhunter76

Hi Raiders,

Went to Port Stephens on the 3rd, 4th and 5th for the Marlin trip onboard BillFisher.

DAY 1:

Arrived where the boat was at 7:00am and meet the crew. Onboard BillFisher was Gary(Brickman), Mitch(Boban), Shaun(sponot), Kane, Sal, and Me self(LALA).

Head out and trolled for a few hours and nothing. The crew was a bit tired so some of us fell asleep. ZZZZZZZZZ goes one of the reels and everyone was up and excited, then line slackens and the first strike was gone. We were all awake and already for the next hit, but for the next few hours it was dead as. And that was the end of the first day. Before I go to day 2 I must tell you the story that sort off may a few of us laugh.

Not mentioning any names( “Mitch”) had :puke: and gotten really sick all-day an went all white after starting the day with a meat pie and chucking down a move drink.

After arriving at the port, Captain Glenn told us not to worry as he will plan it for tomorrow’s trip :1Lighten: . We were a bit confident as the weather report for the next day was perfect for what we were after, and also it was OUTDOORDAN and my Bday arriving in the morning.

DAY 2:

Headed out confident and excited as the weather turned out perfect. Head out wide and started trolling. Nothing was striking and the crew got really tired and some had fallen asleep. ZZZZZZZZZZZ goes one of the reel a beautiful sound indeed and up gets everyone and the hot seat was on for Sal. The beckie jump high up at the rear of the boat “ saying hi” down it goes and back up on the left hand side of the boat, then says “good bye”, and was gone. every one was in a buzz and already for the next hit up. Around half an hour or so the sound of the line screaming again, everyone runs to the back of the boat, but gone it was. :ranting2: The trolling then begins again. And no bull the line screamed ZZZZZZZZZZZZ and Gary (brickman) was on the hot seat this time.

Gary was reeling in for dear life as you can see the poor bloke sweat from every part of his body, about 15mins later we saw colour as the blue head to the surface at the back of the boat. She stuck her head out and looked at Gary and bang she was gone.Gary had the biggest smile on the boat at that moment, as he sat back and rested.

What a great sight it was to see a creature so beautiful right next to you live.

Lures back and away we were again. No shit but about five minutes later ZZZZZZZZ again as it was my turn to get on the hot seat, as I hoped on, gone she was. What disappointment. Lures out again and no bull a minute later ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, this time the reel was SCREAMING, and Kane gets on the hot seat. The line goes, and goes. Kane reeling in the monster with all his might but still the beast runs, after a tiring 30 min fight up comes the beast 200kg blue :1yikes: . Hi five every where and photos and cameras where out. What a day four strikes and two hook ups, what more can you ask for. Headed back with heads high and a closer crew, we were all pleased with the effort of the Captain and his deckie. :1worthy:

Got to the pub for dinner and a few drinks as Stewy and Donna had surprised Dan and myself with a beautiful mud cake to end the night. And Rosco with his singing.

DAY 3:

Head out around 7:30am and again lures out, A few hours went by and nothing so I decided to go down deck had have abit off asleep due to a few too many drinks. Around 1pm I wake up to the sound of one off the reels screaming again, and up on the hot seat was Mitch. Mate this bloke was a machine. He bought his blue up in 15 mins. Like a pro he was indeed. Hi fives and cameras and filming of the beast again. Lures were out again as I looked at the plot chart I can see that we were done for the day and the trip itself, Disappointed I was because I did not get a taste of how it felt to pull one up. I fell asleep. The reel screams one more time ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ as I woke up to that beautiful sound and looked around to see who was going to be on the hot seat??? “Its you” Sal screams and in all the excitement I have never move so quick and leaped onto the hot seat. The reel continues to scream and lose more line.

Reeling in this beast, I’ve never felt so much pain in my life reeling in a fish . 25mins later the 140kg blue was landed. :thumbup::thumbup: Hi fives every where. And what a great feeling it was. I will never forget this trip. It is funny how when you hear the sound of the reel screaming that you automatically just jump up no matter what you are doing, if that makes sense to anyone. Everyone on board were no longer marlin virgins in three days 6 strikes and four hook ups. Tell anybody and the would not believe you.

Thanks to the great skipper Glenn for doing what he does best, And Matt(Get the f**k out of the way) deckie for the assistance and guidance.

To the crew onboard BillFisher Gary, Mitch, Shaun(the spinner shark), Sal, and Kane for being great mates and good company.

Here are some pics that I took with my camera. More great shots will pop up as the others onboard will post up soon.

If you get a chance, just do a trip with these boys and you'll never forget

Cheers LALA

post-7346-1233921456_thumb.jpg

post-7346-1233921463_thumb.jpg

post-7346-1233921497_thumb.jpg

post-7346-1233921506_thumb.jpg

post-7346-1233921515_thumb.jpg

post-7346-1233921534_thumb.jpg

post-7346-1233921543_thumb.jpg

post-7346-1233921636_thumb.jpg

post-7346-1233921827_thumb.jpg

post-7346-1233953730_thumb.jpg

Edited by lala

Well done on the report Lala.

I will say I really enjoyed the company as much as the fishing. Great blokes the lot of you.

The Hunters need no praise but I will say if the radio reports where anything to go by, we were in great hands. As Shaun noted, Glenn stuck to his plans and got the blues he was looking for.

As Lala has said, if you can do this trip, then do it at least once in your lifetime.

thank god some one finaly posted well done mate and great pics

lala may be a short ass but he is built like a brick shithouse and mate seeing you in the house off pain

was the highlight for me

i drove up with lala and chatted all the way and our expectations were to see a marlin and best case sernerio was to see one boat side

i had sat in the chair for a good hour starring and hopping that we would get i more strike i gave up and saw lala with his head down and new what he was thinking

then within 2 minutes all hell broke loose funny how every one snapps into action in 2 seconds

are you still grinning mate cherrs to you and the family la la

gary

What a great read ... top stuff Mick! :thumbup::thumbup:

The photos are terrific. Gary looks like he had his hands full :074: (I've seen pergolas smaller than your fishing hat Gaz!) Congrats on finding a couple of beakies to play with fellas. They look superb in the photos

All the reports from the trip away are filled with great photos, PBs and a shared sense of great company. I reckon that speaks volumes for the Hunter Boys, and the camaraderie that exists on this forum. :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks to all for the fantastic reports. If you can't make it there ... it's the next best thing ;)

Cheers

Hodgey

Well done Mick - great report and congrats on catching your first beaky!

Sounds like you're a bit of a pro at the old "sleep till the fish turn up tactic". Good on ya mate - will have to try and catch up for a fish soon.

Cheers

Jim

Great report Lala and it's good to see you all getting onto the blue marlin on Billfisher. Mitch and Gary are both very capable blokes to fish with and Gary is a real diamond of a bloke to have with you when fishing a full weekend session.

I think the closest I can get to marlin fishing these days is asking if there are any of those straw hats left over that I can use use to wave at the pelicans. :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

What an awesome trip guys, will not be forgotten at all.

Mitch was definately a machine in the hot seat, made it look so easy. I dont even think he worked up a sweat.

I think we should do it again soon if not atleast have a get together drink, and for those who cant attend sal and i will be drinking on your behalf.

Will get the discs with all the pics out to you guys next free moment we have away from work.

Cheers

Guys,

Thanks for your friendship over the four days, I had a blast watching you all lose your virginity.

On another note, I almost fulfilled my goals for 2008 in one arvo. On Sunday I had a small striped marlin take a halco giant trembler I was using to test some adjustments I made to my outriggers. After 10 min I was starting to think I would not only have the first marlin for the new boat but have done it single handed as well.... then that horrid slack was felt and it was all over. Some good images etched into my mind though..

Still, I have another three weeks up here so as long as I can put up with the caravan for a month there will hopefully be a few more chances.

BTW Lala, you forgot to to mention the moment you cursed your wife for not ringing you on your birthday only to discover later that day that you had the wrong day!!!!! CHAMPION STUFF MATE...

:Funny-Post::Funny-Post: hey shaun a stripy single handed that must have been a blast and a bit off a worry

how were you going to get your lure back, fighting the fish is one thing but pulling it close to remove the lure

mate you would have had your hands full

did you get out with the old man for the flattys hope you got a feed

even know we put shit on each uther all 3 days it was a great trip and your a laugh a minute

looking forward to fishing with you again mate

gary

Great trip mate and great friends made along the way. Shaun and the others were so easy for me to call friends in just a short period of time. Hope to catch up with all of you again and share some stories and discover new fish(spinner shark) :tease: .

To all you other FishRaides out there, If you get a chance do this Marlin trip with the Hunter boys and you'll have a time of you life and make great friends along the way. Loves you all.

Cheers LALA :yahoo:

Lala,

The only spin you can catch is the "spinning s**t", which you seem to be quite good at.

Bricky,

I managed a couple of reds with the old man. He had a ball drinking at the pub with Ross and the boys, I have never seen him so drunk. It was the first time I have had to take they keys to the car from him. Johnny Holmes may have had endurance in the bed but with the beers, no chance..

Congrats on the close call there 'spinner shark' shaun, i could only imagine the fun you wouldve had if you got it to the side of the boat and it started dancing like lala's beast.

I hope the weather holds out for you up there and you dont get a week of rain as predicted.

Thanks for the help in bringing my fish up too mate, one cool head amongst all the screaming helped a great deal.

Not only did i pop my marlin cherry but i think i did a nut too!

And for gary, our fishing union deligate, we will have to organise a day out fishing with all the crew and i think your the man to get the ball rolling.

Lala just incase i forgot mate :1happybday:

cain thats a top idea and just to be fair sal and shaun are the first one's up

i'm thinking sharks 3 boats[shauns,sals,and mine] and a shit load off berly

mitch has been very quiet but i'm shore he'll be up for it and la la will be in for shore

gary

Boys Mitch is waiting for the highest bidder for the video of us catching the marlin.LOL

MITCH WERE ARE YOU MATE. :1prop:

Cheers LALA

Mitch has been busy catching up with the work he was supposed to be doing while he went fishing for Marlin.

I'll list the video on ebay and see how I go.

I don't think I can say it enough times, but save for the first day, I had an absolute ball of a time. I like blokes that can dish it out and take it.

Sean was especially a good sport with the spinner shark comment. Trust Ross to shut us up after 15mins of paying out on Sean.....