Bushfire Song

Berleyguts

My song, Summer Weekend Terror, about the horror of bushfires experienced by so many Australians each summer. My heart goes out to all those so heavily impacted by the recent horrific fires in Victoria. It's good to see so many Aussies digging deep!

I recorded this in 1994 about the Sydney bushfires that January but never really did anything with it. Now, with the wonders of technology, I can publish it on the web for anyone to hear/see, if they're interested!

Hope you like it:

Cheers,

Baz

• Like 5

Baz that is fantastic stuff :thumbup: you are very talented. Do something with it now!! This is a terrible tragedy and has hit all Australians and indeed the world. The Australian spirit of survival and mateship will pull us through though.

Ever thought of doing a fishing song :biggrin2: call it "Raiders on the Storm"

PLEASE SEE PM Baz

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

After spending 6 days on the fireline down there

KF

Well done KF :thumbup:

That's an fantastic job you guys are doing down there!!

Enjoy your well earned rest.

Hey burleyguts, you should submit that to some of the melbourne news sites..I wouldn't be suprised if one of them ran it.

Very good indeed, expresses exactly what a lot of people are feeling right now.

Well done KF :thumbup:

That's an fantastic job you guys are doing down there!!

Enjoy your well earned rest.

Hey burleyguts, you should submit that to some of the melbourne news sites..I wouldn't be suprised if one of them ran it.

Very good indeed, expresses exactly what a lot of people are feeling right now.

:dito: to both sentiments. Thank you for your efforts on the fire line KF, and congrats on a fabulous song Baz. Deserves recognition from a National audience :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

I went to Victoria with the RFS very early on Sunday morning and returned Thursday evening.

That song and the images hit the nail exactly on the head, mind you there were a couple of very scary images there for those who know what to look for.

Lasty

Baz, I just listened to and watched your amazing film clip and song. It bought me to tears.

Although it was written a few years ago, it could depict any number of the bushfires that we have had here in Australia, especially in light of recent events in Victoria.

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanager

Baz, I just listened to and watched your amazing film clip and song. It bought me to tears.

Although it was written a few years ago, it could depict any number of the bushfires that we have had here in Australia, especially in light of recent events in Victoria.

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanager

Thank you all for your kind comments. I tried to be generic in the lyrics and hope I was successful in creating "pictures for your ears", to pinch a phrase from one of my favourite songwriters. I still remember the day I wrote it - it was Monday 10th January 1994. The fires had ravaged the outer suburbs of Sydney all weekend. My son was about 18 months old and I drove him from my home in Macquarie Fields to his grandparents at Seven Hills, where he was looked after while my wife and I worked in the city. I pulled into the driveway at about 7-7.30am. The sky was black, the sun was red and there were scores of choppers overhead, some were TV choppers, others were carting water from Prospect Reservoir. Seven Hills was not in a fire zone at all but, still, the smoke choked us, cinders rained down us as I carried my son into the house. One or two cinders fell on my arm and gave me very slight burns. I listened to the stories on the radio and watched the footage on TV. I wrote the lyrics that day.... every bushfire season, I see images of people fighting the same battles... but the fires in Victoria this time round have generated the most horrible scenes and stories I have seen. Still, the people find strength to fight and go on and the community support that has been offered is just amazing.

Thanks for listening.

Baz

a record company should jump on that wonderful song? it deserves national recognition - perhaps the proceeds from the song could be donated to the poor families in VIC who desperately need all the help we can muster. I am sure it wouldnt take much for radio stations to start playing it with the right people pushing it. Maybe you should think about sending a copy to someone prominent in the media?

You are truly talented - well done.

Pete.

a record company should jump on that wonderful song? it deserves national recognition - perhaps the proceeds from the song could be donated to the poor families in VIC who desperately need all the help we can muster. I am sure it wouldnt take much for radio stations to start playing it with the right people pushing it. Maybe you should think about sending a copy to someone prominent in the media?

You are truly talented - well done.

Pete.

Thanks... but it's only one song... and I guess I'm my own harshest critic! You should realise that a lot of magic can be performed in a professional studio with a 24 track desk! ;) I am happy with all but my own acoustic guitar part - I would play that differently if I had the opportunity

I have circulated the song to a few different radio stations, including in Vic, plus a couple of TV programs, so I will wait and see with baited breath (since this is a fishing forum!). You never know... but I'm just happy that a few people get something out of it.

Cheers,

Baz

Hi Baz,

Just a thought - If everyone on fishraider got behind the purchuse of your CD and purchased 1 Cd each the profits raised could be donated to the bushfire victims on behalf of fishraider members. what do you think?

Maybe the mods can arrange some sort of appeal here with your help.

Pete.

Hi Baz,

Just a thought - If everyone on fishraider got behind the purchuse of your CD and purchased 1 Cd each the profits raised could be donated to the bushfire victims on behalf of fishraider members. what do you think?

Maybe the mods can arrange some sort of appeal here with your help.

Pete.

Pete - it's just one song. I don't know how many people would buy a CD with just one song on it. I know people buy single songs on iTunes & BigPond Music etc., but I'm still old school and I've always been an albums man! I wouldn't even know how to go about organising the logistics of organising sales of a CD or mp3, although I would happily make the song available for charitable purposes. :)

But I thank everyone for their encoragement. :)

Baz

• 10 years later...

Great work Baz! If you were half as good at fishing as you are singing/songwriting  you’d be brilliant. Lol 😝 

Mate, I lived in the blue Mtns during the 1994 bush fires and watched my community burn around us. It’s a terrifying sight and one of shear anarchy! 

My heart goes out to all those who have been affected by these fires. 

A great tribute there, well done 👍 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1