Awesome Fishing On Wallis Lake

yartz

Sorry if this report is a bit long but I tried to cram 3 days of fishing in!

I got up to Wallis Lake (near Forster) last week, unfortunately for a funeral but I had a few days spare and used the time to wade into the lake and have a cast from my aunt's property up there.

Day One Arvo saw me hitting an oyster lease. I was using a Berkley 3" minnow in pumpkinseed and a big bream hit it hard and smashed it straight into the lease and I lost the rig, lucky I hadn't gone for the SX40!

Once the wind picked up, I abandoned the lease and hit a point to score only one 38cm flathead that I chucked back.

Day Two I hit the lake right around midday. My hopes were low as I was fishing at relatively low tide in the middle of the day and in wind and rain that was driving straight into my face. But believe it or not I reeled in a few good flatties, all going at over 40cm. My reel had been playing up since the day before and seeing as I couldnt work the Gulp minnow as well as I would have liked I swapped to a 3" grub in watermelon, which has a tail which provides pretty nice action.

This lure worked wonders for me. I was soon on a continuous run of flatties. Despite the weather, my old man came down to wet a line also and he used a squidgy fish in bright gold. At one stage we were going fish for fish and must have picked up at least 5 or 6 fish in the space of an hour, with the wind and rain pouring down. 8 hours later we had 6 keepers, a few found themselves on the Webber that night...

Day three and I hit the water early in a yak to try my hand at some drifting. I found a nice channel that worked around a point and dragged into a bay. The drift was nice and steady, fast enough to avoid the wee on the bottom. Straight away and I had a few good hits and brought in two 50cm+ models. I found a likely spot and on my first cast hooked up a nice 36cm bream which had great fight in it.

The trip produced around 30-40 flathead for me so I was stoked. But not all stories end perfectly. On two separate days I had absolute monsters hooked. The first one was pretty sizeable, at least 60cm I would guess, but I never set the hooks properly and it kicked off about ten metres away. The second fish would have been my biggest flatties ever. Having picked it up on a drift in the yak, i thought it was a huge snag but hang on, there was a head shake...HOLY S**T its a fish!

After a real good fight I had it on the edge of the bank, having gotten out of the kayak after realising I didnt have a net. I fought the fish into the shallows and right to the edge of the lake, but there was a bit of a bank and when I went to pull the fish out, the line snapped under its weight and it fell right on the edge of the bank. The next moments were like an eternity as I got ready to lose some flesh picking the monster up. As I went to grab for it the fish kicked back into the water and lazily swam away...

It would have been my first 70cm+ flattie so needless to say I was gutted, particularly without getting a photo and with the old man pissing himself from the house after watching the fight through binos.

All in all though a brilliant trip with some great fish.

Apologies for the photos, the missus had my camera so i had to resort to the phone.

post-8798-1234787046_thumb.jpg

post-8798-1234787111_thumb.jpg

The fish are sitting on a washing machine that measured around 85cm across.

post-8798-1234787189_thumb.jpg

My one bream!

Well done Yartz!! Terrific results in awful conditions!!

Shame the big one busted off, even before you could release her yourself!! :( I have hooked flatties here where their head has been to big to fit in the net! :1yikes: I have seen even bigger ones!!!

Supposed to be even more rain over the next few days :mad3:

Jani & Saija are supposed to return at the end of the week ..... hope it has stopped by then!

Cheerio

Roberta