Daiwa Sensor Surf

Kirks

Hey Guys

Thinking about to getting a senor surf because its a 2 piece for easy of transport and its got the balls to handle a jewie of some size.

Looking at the 30-40lb overhead version.

Reel will be a saltist levelwind.

Pros.....

Cons....

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Kirkby

Hi young Kirks and Brownie May as well buy a good used Alvey 650cc and a Snyder 7144, rather than spend your pocket money on luxury gear that's going to get knocked about when the best rock and beach fishermen use Alveys with rods to suit.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

People spend $300 on reels to catch bream on soft plastics, $200 on rods to do the same. A jewie off the beach (or a big salmon for that matter) wil pull harder than any bream, so why not use expensive gear off the beach?

People spend $300 on reels to catch bream on soft plastics, $200 on rods to do the same. A jewie off the beach (or a big salmon for that matter) wil pull harder than any bream, so why not use expensive gear off the beach?

Serious fisheman use Alveys off the beach and the rocks because of their low maintenance, the fact that they accomodate much longer distances of heavier monofilant line, they are built so robust that from the 600 size upwards, they can handle anything that swims without falling apart, and cost a fraction of the price of equally rated spinning reels, and Alveys having simple components which are readily available, are a lot less to worry about in genera,l and also hold the world record for distance casting a beach rod.

Cheers

I think most of the casting distance records are held by overhead reels. Where absolute distance is required serious fishermen usually use overheads - eg snapper fishermen off the rocks. Alveys have some advantages as Jewgaffer pointed out but also a few disadvantages. Depending on the model fixed handles can be a hazard to your knuckles on fast running fish (overheads are hard to beat on big fish). Alveys are not much good for spinning as they are too slow and line twist will build up quickly. They are very bulky (though not so heavy now with graphite models), so having a couple of reels will take up a lot of room in your haversack.

Threadlines are very easy to operate. They will stand up to beach fishing quite well (some have special seals to keep water out). I wouldn't make a habit of dropping them in the water though. Most come with spare spools which makes them very versatile. They have less line capacity than an overhead or alvey, but a large one will handle the run of a big jewie. You can increase the line capacity these days with one of the fine lines like Platypus Super 100 or you can bottom shot with braid.

I started fishing the beach with alveys, for all manner of fish inluding jew.

Then I seen the light. :thumbup:

Alveys do cast well, but theres not many gutters i cant reach with my Calcutta 700B. :thumbup:

Alveys can suffer from line twist issues. Even using double swivels you get the occasional drama. :thumbdown: No such problems with overheads.

I use braid off the beach (less effected by wind and water, not to mention more sensitivity)in conjunction with 4-5m of 50lb shock leader, No capacity issues there :biggrin2: Iv'e got bout 200m of 30lb mono backing and 300m of 30lb platapus braid, If a jew can take that off me under full drag he can have the bloody lot!

Plus the drags on the mid to high end overheads, make it an absolute pleasure to fight fish with. Beats palming anyday... and the best part, no bleeding knuckles.

My calcutta has had two years of HEAVY use, and never experienced ANY reliability issues, I do however meticulously maitain my gear. This is the key to reliable service, when using threadlines and overheads off the beach.

I agree with what your saying Byron, Alveys represent remarkable value, and many great fish have surcome to thier simplistic yet effective design. For many very accomplished anglers the Alvey is their weapon of choice, But many of these anglers come from a period where there wasn't many other options available to them.however even with all the choices today, the Alvey is still whats comfortable for them, But i find an overhead much more comfortable for me. Even if my Calcutta shits it self tomorrow, I go straight back to the shop and buy another :biggrin2: Theres no contest for me

Kirkby and Browney, All I can say is find whats most comfortable for you before you outlay all your cash. Wheather its Alvey overhead or Thready.

Cheers

...Ive got Ron Arra's book on distance surf casting in front of me.

This bloke was 5 times U.S. surf casting champion. In 1988 he set the US record of 758.44ft Using an ABU 6500C3 CT MAG and 5 1/4 ounce weight

thats 231.17 meters :1yikes:

not much relevence, but pretty cool anyway

Dan

i have used both overhead and alvey reels for jew off the rocks [abu7000 alvey 650 c5]

i found the abu great for distance for casts over 90mts to reach the sand for reds off most northern beachs rock platforms but try casting big slabs of tailor with 3ozs of lead thats where the alvey comes into its own

also night time you may get a backlash which cuts down on fishing time

caught a lot of jew with the alveys but my pb was

caught with the abu [64lb]

i favour the alvey slightly over the overheads its what you feel comfortable with yourself

peter :1fishing1:

i have used both overhead and alvey reels for jew off the rocks [abu7000 alvey 650 c5]

i found the abu great for distance for casts over 90mts to reach the sand for reds off most northern beachs rock platforms but try casting big slabs of tailor with 3ozs of lead thats where the alvey comes into its own

also night time you may get a backlash which cuts down on fishing time

caught a lot of jew with the alveys but my pb was

caught with the abu [64lb]

i favour the alvey slightly over the overheads its what you feel comfortable with yourself

I used to use my ABU 7000 off the rocks at North Garie, shoulder to shoulder with the pillie lobbing brigade! It worked very well, though I never saw anyone else use an overhead there. Most used threadlines and there was the occassional alvey. With a big ball sinker and a whole pillie it absolutely refused to backlash despite mostly fishing of an afternoon with a often strong N/E wind.

I used to use my ABU 7000 off the rocks at North Garie, shoulder to shoulder with the pillie lobbing brigade! It worked very well, though I never saw anyone else use an overhead there. Most used threadlines and there was the occassional alvey. With a big ball sinker and a whole pillie it absolutely refused to backlash despite mostly fishing of an afternoon with a often strong N/E wind.

my abu was an original swedish model with brake blocks and level wind taken out for distance casting so rig had to be balanced like 3oz snapper lead and 3/o with occy leg to cut down on wind resistence with this set up casts of up to 120mts can be had [with a lot of practice at the local 100mt footy oval] i also had a 9000 and 10000 as well but the 7000 was the favourite

my abu was an original swedish model with brake blocks and level wind taken out for distance casting so rig had to be balanced like 3oz snapper lead and 3/o with occy leg to cut down on wind resistence with this set up casts of up to 120mts can be had [with a lot of practice at the local 100mt footy oval] i also had a 9000 and 10000 as well but the 7000 was the favourite

The 9000 used to be very popular with snapper fishermen. I used a 4oz sinker for snapper fishing off the rock. I recently tried a new rig called the 'pulley rig'. The sinker rides with the bait with this rig and is released with the rig hits the water. The rig has much less air resistance and is a big boost to distance and ease of casting.

snyder glas v/s daiwa sensor surf

well u will get more feedbacks on the snyder glas as its been on the market for years and its the rod of choice for many aussie anglers for rock and beach fishing. no dout that they are strong, very strong. however, they are heavy, hence not comfortable for long hrs fishing.

i owned a daiwa sensor surf rod (the one rated 40lb line). its approx half the weight of an equivalent snyder glas, hence very nice to fish with all day. strength? i winched some good size fish with that rod, so trust me, that rod is a strong rod. on top of that it is a good and smooth caster. my local tackle shop owner told me that lots of groper fishos are moving from the heavy snyder glas to the lighter weight sensor surf. well, the decision is yours. both are good value for money

cheers

bert

While you're there Kirks, I would see if Go fish Pete has a few sand spikes in stock to use as rod holders and to keep your hi tech reels out of the sand.

Cheers

Yeh Not letting my reels come in close to the sand.