Newbie Lbg Nut

Hi All

I've been fishing for yers but, just recently, I've decided to get into LBG.

A mate of mine does a fair bit of it on the Central Coast, and he's got me hooked.

It's about time I got myself some suitable gear, which is the reason for this post:

I'm unfortunately ona tight budget and needed to know what are some good, entry level rod/reel combos (prefer OH) for LBG?

My budget is..... now, don't laugh..... around the $150-200 mark. Before you roll off your seat laughing I'm also considering pre-loved equipment as a fallback.

Any suggestions, ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Hi All

I've been fishing for yers but, just recently, I've decided to get into LBG.

A mate of mine does a fair bit of it on the Central Coast, and he's got me hooked.

It's about time I got myself some suitable gear, which is the reason for this post:

I'm unfortunately ona tight budget and needed to know what are some good, entry level rod/reel combos (prefer OH) for LBG?

My budget is..... now, don't laugh..... around the $150-200 mark. Before you roll off your seat laughing I'm also considering pre-loved equipment as a fallback.

Any suggestions, ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Judging by the massive number of responses I AM dreaming with the budget I've got to work with. Ah well :1badmood::05:

Hi stoli72,

I dont know much about the tackle side of things, but someone who may be able to help you out is Pete at GoFish Dural, one of our sponsors.

Why dont you give him a call, or send him a pm. I am sure that Pete will set you right. If you are unable to get to his fantastic store, I am sure that he would be able to come to some sort of arrangement to get any gear that you may purchase from him to you.

Pete is always quick to help out fellow raiders with fantastic specials and terrific discounts for Fishraider members.

You can find all his details under A Word From Our Sponsors.

Good luck with getting what you need.

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanager

Mate, better get some gear in a hurry. Peak seasson now for a few more weeks, then it is a long wait between runs, but they will still come. Entry level rod possible for around $100. You will want a TLD 25 to put on it. That will be tough to get second hand with that butget but. Spooled up with 15kg covers you for Blues, Cobes and Kings.

Good luck

what exactly are you after?

tuna, kings, marlin, cobia etc

live baiting or lure fishing?

Mate, ideally ALL of the above. I've had a lot of land based success catching things like bream, flatties etc from wharfs and so on.

Just want to get into something bigger, bit more of a fight. Any pelagic would be fantastic, even smaller models that I have to throw back in, just something to enjoy a bit of a fight.

Thanks.

Paul

Mate, better get some gear in a hurry. Peak seasson now for a few more weeks, then it is a long wait between runs, but they will still come. Entry level rod possible for around $100. You will want a TLD 25 to put on it. That will be tough to get second hand with that butget but. Spooled up with 15kg covers you for Blues, Cobes and Kings.

Good luck

I've gotten my hands on a Shimano Beastmaster 12', suitable for spin reel, what reel would you guys recommend?

The TLD25 would be great but I need an eggbeater, and the TLD is out of my price range anyway. Unless any fishraider members happen to have an old one they're looking to flog off cheap...haha :1prop:

As a general rul, LBG game gear is anywhere from 7 foot to 7 foot six and 8 foot at the max. LBG spin rod is 10 foot max.

Cheers

Chris

So is it safe to assume LBG gear is similar, if not the same, as boat based game fishing gear?

• 1 month later...

So is it safe to assume LBG gear is similar, if not the same, as boat based game fishing gear?

Not quite. The rods are a bit longer. Get your mate to take you out a few times. Rigging is pretty simple and the most important bit is your bait catching ability.

As well as the ability to drive for hours, sit on a rock for hours, and carry some large fish + your back pack on some pretty serious hikes.

You will love it, just gotta get that first run.

P.S Live baiting with a threadline don't work, you need an overhead preset at strike, but left virtually out of gear until it starts screaming away, then push into strike and hang on

• 1 month later...

How have you gone on the LBG gear?

Just be careful of the places you fish. I also fish LBG and the rubbish and idiotic behaviour is getting way too many places closed down, and the places that arnt being closed the regulars are getting a bit uptight and making it hard to fish. There are things in play that will hopefully change all that for the better given time and the right support from those in power.

Good luck with the LBG. Get any fish?

• 10 months later...

I agree with the Shimano TLD 25. I am looking for one myself as i am also just getting into LBG. For your budget 150-200 it would be a bit difficult to get a combo. The TLD 25 should be no more then $200 according to all the research I have been doing. In regards to your rod, you should check out the Wilson range, I think they start around 150 and up depending on which one you get. I don't have much knowledge in LBG but so far that is all i can tell you. I hope it helps mate. I recommend you save up for another 1-3 weeks and get yourself something decent. An extra 100-200 dollars shouldn't hurt the pocket that much. Even if you are on centrelink..lol.. thats only one fortnight. Anyway Good luck with everything.

Hey Newbie,

Fishing with live baits of rocks with a 12 foot ro an thread line is asking for trouble.

You will either get spooled, ruin your equipment, break your back or all of these.

Get yourself a TLD 25 an something like a Live Fibre LBG Rod.

Then get out there with someone to teach you the art of controlling your bait's direction etc.

There is a lot more to it than you might think..

Amart on Tuggerah straight have/had TLD25s' for $150-$170 last week.Only had a couple left.

I agree with all the above, accept what Nick said lol, p.s nice catch today mate, great work on it and i hope it eats well dude.

One bit of advise with LBG reels is to get the best you can afford, however its not a cheap sport and its ot an easy sport either.

Be prepared for long days of waiting and waiting and waiting a bit more. However there are rewards, the things you see and experience on the rocks even without getting a fish are worth coming back for again and again!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Unfortunately that budget probably wont even cover a gimbal belt and terminal tackle. You are better to slowly get the gear second hand as you need it and miss the season to have the right stuff. Spend a bit more and buy it once rather than spending a bit less and having to upgrade every 6 months.

If you want some used reels I have a few you may be interested in that I no longer use. I have a used TLD25, A Daiwa Sealine (never used) or if you are after a tough egg-beater I have a tough as nails Daiwa GS-9. Shoot me a pm or call me on 0406 684 237 if you are interested.

Maybe look for used Penn spinfishers if you have to have a egg-beater as they are also pretty tough, the Penn and Daiwa (in my opinion) are good hard bodied, tough reels that will handle being dropped on rocks and both have the line capacity you will need.

• 4 years later...

All the advice above are great including the etiquette on the rocks.

Before buying the tackle, may I suggest that you get safety gear such as cleats, life vests and ropes if you haven't already.

Think this thread is a little cold - see dates

I used to use an FSU4120 which had been cut at tip and but to 8ft, all Silicon carbide runners and a roller tip. Had a Penn Senator 116, whole thing was uinbreakable and a bit of a crowbar. Still got spooled a couple of times - with smoke coming out of the reel...must have been a submarine..