Gas Heater Conversion

glennmreid

I just moved to Forster and brought up my gas heater which ran on natural gas. We don't have gas at this property in Forster. Is is possible to convert a natural gas heater to run on LPG? This heater is only a couple of years old so I don't want to go out a new one if it can be converted.

I just moved to Forster and brought up my gas heater which ran on natural gas. We don't have gas at this property in Forster. Is is possible to convert a natural gas heater to run on LPG? This heater is only a couple of years old so I don't want to go out a new one if it can be converted.

Glen, I had a natural gas heater converted over to LPG by a certified gas fitter for $100 .... the conversions can be done either way and the service divisions or their agents in Forster charge around $150 ... the LPG internal nozzle/s and the pipes that go into the house from the cylinders, which you would be aware of, can be done by a plumber..... You should be able to get a free LPG cylinder set up - request a spare cylinder from them in case you ever need it, as they only want to sell the gas and get your ongoing business.....The suppliers should be able to help you with advice and provide a list of converter/installers for you...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Check out the price of bottle gas as it has gone up significantly and unless bottles are in place and hotwater already on gas it might not be worth it.

The other thing is make sure that the person changing it over gives you all the parts and a spare sticker if it needs to be converted back. We had a agency who thought the parts they removed belonged to them !!

Check with the manufacturer as well as one we thought of changing we were told that it was easy to do but then they also mentioned that the specific LPG version had other differences that affected performance that weren't avaliable as conversion parts even though the cases and model numbers all look the same. Can't remember which way it was but the heat output changed and we checked part numbers and it wasn't just marketing to sell us another heater.

In a lot of cases it is just the jet and the sticker on the back but then as above you have the issue of cylinders and the plumbing. Local gas supplier or heater shop will know it all.

Check with the government rebate that is on at the moment.

The final cost (after rebate) to change from electric to a solar heat pump/gas system is reasonably small.

Maybe the rebate is for bottled gas as well and you might be able to get a new system for hardly anything.

Dave