A Day On The Water With Hodgey.son

Hodgey

The young bloke turned up Thursday and was keen for a fish. It's been a long time since he has wet a line and he hadn't had a crack at surface lures yet, so took him for a wander on Friday to teach him the basic techniques. Managed to nail a nice little EP and Bryce started to master the techniques of popper and pencil.

Borrowed a family member's tinny this morning. The lake was full of boats, leaving us no option but to hit the river. A hard day for surface lures as it was very bright and not a breath of wind ... no tidal flow meant almost no drift could be achieved :mad3:

Unfortunately, although Bryce had a few fish swipe at his lure he never connected, and I managed a paltry 3 bream and another damn mullet :1prop: Took him for a spin to the upper reaches and had a look around Bumbo lake. Came across two pair of magestic sea eagles :1yikes:

Decided to finish the last hour with some soft plastics to see if Bryce could salvage some semblance of pride :biggrin2: Found a narrow stretch of water away from the water skiers and tied on 5" Jerk shads in Camou and Lime Tiger. Took Bryce 5 minutes to hook up with the best fish of the day of 54cm (and a new PB)

post-3198-1239439678_thumb.jpg

With the slightest of breeze we managed to drift over this sandbar a couple of times and picked up 2 nice table fish each. The morning had been salvaged and the lad was grinning from ear to ear

post-3198-1239439793_thumb.jpg

Hope everyone enjoys their break

Cheers

Hodgey and hodgey.son

Top stuff Hodgey!

Nice to see Bryce get a p.b Flattie. It sounds like it would have been hard work finding some fish today with the Easter crowds roaming around.

Lucky for us the Easter crowds on the Gold Coast head down to Byron Bay for their break! :wacko:

It's also nice to see that Bryce didn't inherit his old mans' ugly mug!!! :074::074::074:

Cheers,

Grant.

Congrats Bryce on your Flattie PB .... well done!! It takes a while to master the old 'walk the dog' lures ..... but the old SPs are usually soooo reliable! :thumbup:

Downtown here is like the Easter Show - people everywhere! We even had to wait at the Roundabout for about 5 cars to go thru before we could enter it! :1yikes: What is the town coming to??

I bet you'll be getting into some gooooood fish over the next few days, Bryce! :)

CHeerio & tight lines

Roberta

Enjoy your time on the water together ...... I even got my sister out in the yak today, just paddling, tho! :biggrin2:

Water temp is about 22 degrees Rob. Went for a wade through the shallows briefly this morning. Flathead lies EVERYWHERE. Landed one small one, dropped a 65+ at my feet and was connected to a beauty

... VERY briefly :074:

Cheers

Hodgey

Thank you for all your kind words. I'm having a GREAT time here. Surface lure fishing is more difficult than i suspected, however, I have a very experienced teacher to mentor me ;) .

I'm glad I had the chance to christen my 'Raider cap.

Hey Slinky, I caught my fish on one of your outfits (Symetre/Silstar) :thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers,

Bryce.

Bryce, what a terrific way to spend the easter break, coming home for a visit and getting to spend some quality time with the old man doing what you both enjoy......Fishing.......

The Raiders cap looks good on you. Congratulations on your pb, and hopefully that will be the first of many. Its good you and dad having the same love for fishing, it makes it easier to plan outtings when you are together.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your stay.

Mrs Flightnanager