Volero 16ft Rebuild

rmzbeast

Hi All

I am in the process of a total rebuild of my Volero 16ft half cab. I had bought the boat 2 years ago and i knew after a year there was a problem with the flooring. After several outings the floor started to creek and get soft so i am now left with the task of redoing the floor and while i am at it a total rebuild. I am not experienced with the reflooring part so any comments are welcome. :biggrin2:

Below is a few pics of the progress so far..

post-5466-1240137610_thumb.jpg

post-5466-1240137737_thumb.jpg

post-5466-1240137814_thumb.jpg

post-5466-1240138042_thumb.jpg

Hey rmz,

If you work as slowly as i do on a boat then that baby is going to take some time to repair. Will be worth it in the end. Take your time and figure out exactly what you want to do with it. Good luck with the rebuild. I think seeing photos of rebuilds is one of my favourite things on this site. Cheers. Mike.

ps. Was that middle stringer rotted as in your earlier picture it looked like you were keeping it and then it was gone?

Edited by Wantingaboat

Hey rmz,

If you work as slowly as i do on a boat then that baby is going to take some time to repair. Will be worth it in the end. Take your time and figure out exactly what you want to do with it. Good luck with the rebuild. I think seeing photos of rebuilds is one of my favourite things on this site. Cheers. Mike.

ps. Was that middle stringer rotted as in your earlier picture it looked like you were keeping it and then it was gone?

Hi Want

Thanks for ur comments...the middle stringer was gone whare u cant see part of it was because it was reduced to a mud type substance..all will be good soon i will keep u updated

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All

Just a few more pics of the floor have just finished cutting in the spine of the boat al ready to be coated and glassed in.The stringers will be done in a few days time and then the ply for the floor will be ready to lay.

post-5466-1246546182_thumb.jpg

post-5466-1246546214_thumb.jpg

Looking goooooooooooood. What wood is it out of curiosity ?

Big job but you'll be pretty damn proud when she's done.

If u end up needing a good fibreglasser and you're anywhere around the nth shore, i just had the best work i've seen done on a cuddy...magician that was almost half the price of another quote and right on budget. pm me if u need the name coz i can highly recommend.

She's gonna be a sweet ride...hey rip that old wiring out too...u gonna do all that work then use the old wiring lol :tease: ?

Hi Boomer

The timber i have used is h3 treated pine..I have had conflicting reports with what to use and what not to use.I have been told that as long as it has been over coated with apoxy properly it will be fine for years to come..And as for the glassing thanks for your thoughts but i have a friend that is a glasser and spray painter so he is going to do both...thanks in advanced Rob...The wiring is all going to be redone and new seats bimini rod mounts bait tank storage compartments and all other bits and pieces will be done also....cant wait.

• 1 month later...
Guest Aussie007

im joining in on this thread :thumbup: im also doing a rebuild on another sydney fishing forum i have mine full stripped down ready to rebuild it

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Sorry for the slackness i have been busy.I have progressed a little more all the stringers have been glassed 2 coats. Holes have been filled the ply floor has been apoxied up.This week end i am going to float the boat to double check for leaks.Next is to lay and glass the floor in at the joins and edges.Then i will prepare the body for new paint.

post-5466-1252417043_thumb.jpg

post-5466-1252417086_thumb.jpg

post-5466-1252417113_thumb.jpg

post-5466-1252417151_thumb.jpg

Todays job was to re-design my bait board to reposition it up on the spill tray to make it higher and safe for when we are out in swell..Too many time friends have been bent over cutting bait and not seen wave and have gone to grab onto the tray and not been a sturdy design nearly rip the thing off the wall.Now it is solid ....Very happy.. :biggrin2:

post-5466-1252768768_thumb.jpg

post-5466-1252768821_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally starting to get the floor layed the underneath and end grains of the ply have had 4 coats of apoxy the boards have been predrilled into the stringers and before being screwed apoxy has been squirted into the holes and fastened with stainless screws.Along the sides i have started to fill in using sikaflex.

post-5466-1253630522_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi All the floor is 95% finished all the sides have been sika flexed in floor layed and i have glassed in the edges sealing it in..Once complete the whole floor will apoxied a few times and to finish it off it then will all be flow coated......Getting closer...........

post-5466-1257420909_thumb.jpg

post-5466-1257420935_thumb.jpg

post-5466-1257420958_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello Rmz, I have the exact boat, which i bought as a stripped out hull, and its been sitting on my driveway for years as time got away on me. Im wondering what thickness ply floor you put down as I put 6mm in, because I didnt see what was there originally. I now have a little more time and wanted to get back into it, so I was thinking about starting all over again.

Regards

Davo

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Rmz, I have the exact boat, which i bought as a stripped out hull, and its been sitting on my driveway for years as time got away on me. Im wondering what thickness ply floor you put down as I put 6mm in, because I didnt see what was there originally. I now have a little more time and wanted to get back into it, so I was thinking about starting all over again.

Regards

Davo

Hi Dav

Off memory i have put 15 or 20mm ply into the floor as mine only had 2 layers of fibre glass as the floor and that was it.

Cheers Peter.

• 4 months later...

Hi All

Im now down to the business end of the rebuild ive added a few pics as boring as they are just a few little mods new seats in the cab and a box to hide the wiring and steering cables.

I need help in finding a booth for hire to spray my boat. If anyone knows of a booth that can fit 18ft of boat and tralor your help will be greatly appreciated as im itching to get her out once again.

post-5466-128283540954_thumb.jpg

post-5466-12828354346_thumb.jpg

post-5466-128283546368_thumb.jpg

Hi All

Im now down to the business end of the rebuild ive added a few pics as boring as they are just a few little mods new seats in the cab and a box to hide the wiring and steering cables.

I need help in finding a booth for hire to spray my boat. If anyone knows of a booth that can fit 18ft of boat and tralor your help will be greatly appreciated as im itching to get her out once again.

post-5466-128283540954_thumb.jpg

post-5466-12828354346_thumb.jpg

post-5466-128283546368_thumb.jpg

Looking the goods...

Theres a place in Mortdale that i've heard of that is big enough for trucks... Try googling them...

Good luck...