Squidding In The Georges River

zephi

I just want to know whether Squid can be caught in the Georges River, I've been reading a lot of posts and most people recommend the Hacking River.

I'm new to squidding, so any tips would be helpful. I've had a look at those squidding articles already. I've seen a squid at Lugarno once, one night feeding on the surface. Back then I didn't have a jig so I couldn't confirm whether there was a shaol of squid around or just this one was alone.

Thanks

I couldnt catch a squid in the entire Georges river/botany bay system for love or money!

hahaha

Musty

Then I'm guessing Georges doesn't hold much squid then. I've only seen 3 squid in all my time fishing in Georges River. Twice was at night, one was during the day, it swam into the mangroves.

when i chase after flathead around capt cooks bridge, i see them follow my sp. occasionally i see ink all over the wharf. they're there but not often

You will certainly get them around the bridge as well as over near the public wharf but I am not sure about any further up into the river.

Dave

I probably wouldn't bother specifically targetting squid anywhere upstream from Captain Cook Bridge. You will get arrows around the bridge at times but probably better off focussing on areas in the bay such as any weedy or kelpy areas near kurnell, yarra bay, Laperouse. But the bay definitely isn't as good as the hacking for squid.

Good luck

thanks for the replies, I was assuming Georges wouldn't have too many squid, if they did they'd probably be regularly migrating up and down stream. Which would be hard to find and chase.

Caught one on a prawn a few years ago drifting for flatties just near the mouth of Oatley Bay. Pure fluke I think. We freaked out that mych we didn't know what to do with him and he eventually spat the prawn and swam off. There is some weed around those parts so you may have some luck in between Oatley Bay and Caravan Head.

Good luck.

C'n'R

interesting post. i fish for my squid around la parouse in the kelp. i have caught a few around captain cook. there is kelp on the taren point side of the bridge. one night fishing for jews, there was alot of splashing from taior and herring. noticed a few weird movements..... threw a jig and i was on. it was around early summer when you see the splashing around the lights and off the pylons.

interesting as i was thinking the other day about whether or not you will find squid in ribbon weed around kernel to towra?? anyone tried??

interesting post. i fish for my squid around la parouse in the kelp. i have caught a few around captain cook. there is kelp on the taren point side of the bridge. one night fishing for jews, there was alot of splashing from taior and herring. noticed a few weird movements..... threw a jig and i was on. it was around early summer when you see the splashing around the lights and off the pylons.

interesting as i was thinking the other day about whether or not you will find squid in ribbon weed around kernel to towra?? anyone tried??

Well today was my first time on a boat in Botany, even though it wasn't a very long squidding session, we tried squidding off Kurnell. Kept fouling the hooks from the weed, there's so much weed on the surface.

Looks like a good area which should hold some though.

Anyway, I was looking for more land-based squidding areas. Would you happen to know any?

Well today was my first time on a boat in Botany, even though it wasn't a very long squidding session, we tried squidding off Kurnell. Kept fouling the hooks from the weed, there's so much weed on the surface.

Looks like a good area which should hold some though.

Anyway, I was looking for more land-based squidding areas. Would you happen to know any?

yea i know a few..... pm me and i'll tell u where i go

Bundeena Wharf always seems to produce decent squid if you have patience and can be bothered to travel.

:biggrin2:

Well I've got patience, but travelling to Bundeena is really inconvenient. We're going to try around Lilli Pilli sometime this week. Same river system.