Warnings For Rock Fishermen

mrmoshe

Warnings for rock fishermen

* Daniel Lewis

* May 3, 2009

FOOLHARDY rock fishermen face being chased away from the water's edge by a helicopter with its loudspeaker and siren blaring warnings.

More than 200 rock fishermen in NSW have been killed in 40 years, including at least 50 over the past four years, so rescue authorities and fishing groups have joined academics in a bid to curb the rising toll.

The State Government's Safe-Waters website lists rock fishing as the most dangerous sport in Australia.

The Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter crew chief Tony Wood agrees, saying the statistics are "startling".

Two fishermen, aged 29 and 58, were swept to their deaths off rocks at North Bondi's Ben Buckler last weekend.

Working with the University of NSW, fishing and lifesaving groups plan to establish a public alert that can be broadcast when conditions make rock fishing treacherous. Multi-lingual warning signs will go up at popular sites, as research showed 40 per cent of fatalities were people from China, South Korea and Vietnam.

Mr Wood said the helicopter could buzz the cliffs between the Royal National Park and Pittwater urging fishermen to leave in high seas.

Putting the helicopter in the air costs $3850 an hour, with search and rescue missions plus medical care involving rock fishermen running into millions of dollars each year.

More than anything else, Mr Wood wants fishermen to wear life jackets. Although many popular rock fishing spots along the NSW coast boast "angel rings" - flotation devices that can be thrown to anglers - there are none at North Bondi or anywhere in the Waverley Council area.

A council spokeswoman said: "Council does not encourage rock fishing on Waverley's coastline as it is extremely dangerous and slippery. We have previously used measures similar to angel rings and we will certainly investigate the possibility of using them again."

Australian National sportfishing Association safety officer Stan Konstantaras, who co-ordinates the volunteer-run angel ring project, said the devices had rescued anglers at Avoca and Port Kembla this year.

Putting rings at North Bondi had been looked at, he said, but access was dangerous and Waverley was not as supportive as other councils.

Rings or not, Mr Konstantaras said the men who died at North Bondi should not have been fishing in such conditions: "If it's too rough, go home."

That message will be emphasised in an advertising campaign that will run this year in Asian-language newspapers and on SBS radio.

Fishing groups and governments have spent about $500,000 since 1994 installing angel rings and running safety education campaigns.

although i dont do much rock fishing, when i have done it it has been some of the most enjoyable fishing i have experienced. Its a shame the sport couldn't be made safer. Maybe mandatory wearing of cleats and life vests is the way to go, though i believe commonsense should prevail with rock fishing. If its too rough dont fish.

I would never have thought that many people had lost thier lives rock fishing, and yes the ring at Avoca has been used a few times to help out those fisho's that pushed thier luck too far.

I have witnessed people trying to fish in very dangerous conditions and unfornuately pay the ultimate price.

I really enjoy rock fishing because of the diverse array of fish that is there, but never put my life at risk.

I think bigger , better signage in several languages might help, but it is really up the individual to look and observe the conditions before proceeding.

Myself and other local fishos have actually stopped people at the observing rock and showed them the waves coming over the platform, we made them stop and look for 15-20 mins they did actually turn around and go back which was good but you cant stand there all day..

Cheers..

:1yikes: wow i wouldnt have ever thought that many people would die rock fishing, i know it can be very dangerous but i hope they dont try to ban it. i agree with tumra maybe mandatory cleats & life jacket.

Sad to say jackets will just make bodies easier to find.

Commonsense and watching and learing is the only thing that will save lives

You can't legislate common sense or experience. Many of teh deaths have a contributing factor of health or fitness as well but they have died fishing.

Once in the water - even youn and fit - chances are 50 50

With more participation and only so many places to go and the agression of some existing fishermen people will push teh limits and fish areas in the wrong conditions.

Stay safe everyone

• 1 year later...

i've been to many ledges where the ring doesn't exist. you see the placeholder but not the ring. some people take them so it deters others from taking their spot. lets hope one day they don't need it themselves

thats just wrong...nothing wrong with more people fishing at one ledge. In my experience...more bait in the water keeps the pelagics around for a wee bit longer.

Most peole that rockfish around my way are from overseas and proberly never grown up around water and understanding the way it can change isnt rocket sience but alot seem to think a fish is worth everything maybe they should start closing these fishing spots because its not going to stop they fish any conditions and die doing so.

Most peole that rockfish around my way are from overseas and proberly never grown up around water and understanding the way it can change isnt rocket sience but alot seem to think a fish is worth everything maybe they should start closing these fishing spots because its not going to stop they fish any conditions and die doing so.

Or maybe make them wear life jackets like is being imposed on the boaties

• 3 weeks later...