Squid Jig Brands

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to squidding.

Just after some advice on what brands of squid jigs are good out there in the Oz market? I don't want to be spending so much money on those Yo-Zuri ones, cuz they're so expensive. (~$20?)

Are there any other brands out there, where people are having success with? I've used a Yoshikawa one, bought it at #####tackle shop for $8each. Got me 2 cuttles, before snagging it.

$8 for me is still kinda pricey, but if there aren't any other cheaper and effective brands out there, then I'll give Yoshikawa another go...

Spending so much money on quality jigs and snagging it, is really depressing lol... and I know, spending more will probably yield better results.

Thanks guys,

G'day Zephi, mate I use the yamashitas and they are pretty good, if they inkers are there they smash 'em , a good squid jig.

If ou are snagging up then try a lighter weighted jig , or customise a heavier bigger jig by shaving some of the lead off..

Cheers...

Thanks a lot for the info so far.

I was thinking of getting some Yamashita's. I was looking at an online website located in Australia. They're selling some Yamashita for $9 each (7cm)... doesn't say anything about lead weights. Anyway do they only have one set of barbs?

Is $9 each considered cheap?? gotta include some postage fees... probably $5

I can get Yoshikawa's, not sure whether this is a good brand or not.... but on that same website they sell for $13 each. Where I can get em, theyre $8 each.

I've had success with it so far... Anyone else use these?

On that same site Yo-zuri go for $22 to $29 each.... (expensive!)

G'day Zephi, mate I use the yamashitas and they are pretty good, if they inkers are there they smash 'em , a good squid jig.

If ou are snagging up then try a lighter weighted jig , or customise a heavier bigger jig by shaving some of the lead off..

Cheers...

Well the area I'm fishing at, its about 2-3 metres deep... Weed I'm guessing is about 30cm high above the seabed. It takes about 5 seconds to hit the bottom, my retrieve is very slow, takes about 5 seconds for one revolution on my 2000 size reel.

The way I got snagged, was I accidentally left it in the water, while I went off to bucket the cuttlefish I had caught... stupid mistake to leave it unattended without fixing the depth first.

ive never been able to do it with the el cheapo jigs where as i have a tackle box of around 16 jigs ( mixture of yo zuris and yamashitas) and i never fail to catch a few squid with at least one or 2 of them working at any one time

Not allowed to post the direct link to this site... So I'll just copy the info from there...

Name : Yamashita squid jig Egi Sutte W1.8ND 7cm

description : Yamashita are legendary for making squid jigs that outperform the rest.

Egi Sutte is a slim, slow-sinking squid jig, very effective for boat or shore use. Available in five colours over a luminous cloth-covered body. Swivel nose ring.

This is the smallest size they sell, they don't mention what weight it uses... Is this about the right size? something along the sizes of a 2.0 - 2.5?

They also got (They're a tad cheaper too.)

Yamashita squid jig Toto Sutte WS90ND 7.5cm

Yamashita squid jig Toto Sutte WS95ND 9.5cm

I have no idea what all those letters and numbers mean. Anyone have these can tell me what size they are?

Edited by zephi

5 seconds to sink to the bottom of 2-3m water :1yikes: Thats a very heavy squidjig If you pay for the More expensive yo-zuris and yamashita it's going to catch alot more squid compared to some other brand.

So all in all its worth the money. Get the yamashita 1.8 pink sinks really slowly which the squid like and fairly cheap. Should be about $12 at the tackle shops

When I was using 3.5kg mono line I was losing 2-3 jigs per

squiding sesh, i changed over to 5.4kg line and have not

lost a single jig in my last 2 squid seshs. I get snagged in weed

heaps but the 5.5kg line is strong enuf to pull the jig out of the weed/kelp.

I lost an orange yo-zuri the other day, it caught me 10 squid in two outtings. It was starting to become a veteran with all these bite marks. I was stupid enough to use only 9lb mono and snagged it :mad3:

15-20lb next time! I'm going to yank the rocks out of the ocean hehe

For the extra little bit of casting distance it's not worth losing the $18 jig.

Btw, you will feel more confident with the more expensive jigs so on the days when it's quiet you know that the squid are not around rather than blaming it on the jig!

Edited by fibbo

Are most people squidding with such heavy line (20pound)? i usually use 6 pd braid with a ten pound leader. i do get the odd snag and lose the odd jig and thought that too heavy and that would effect your squid catching ability just like smaller fish. Can anyone who catches a lot of squid confirm whether or not it affects the number caught? Cheers. Mike

thanks for all the input, anyway like I said, it got snagged on the net. I have 10lb fireline attached directly to it, without a leader.

Caught on to a swimmin net, and I thought if I pulled hard enough, it might bend the barbs and come off, but I was wrong.

I don't mind spending, but I just wanted to make sure I'm spending my money on the correct jigs.

Are most people squidding with such heavy line (20pound)? i usually use 6 pd braid with a ten pound leader. i do get the odd snag and lose the odd jig and thought that too heavy and that would effect your squid catching ability just like smaller fish. Can anyone who catches a lot of squid confirm whether or not it affects the number caught? Cheers. Mike

G'day Mike...

It definitely has an effect on the number caught... and on the size of jig you'll need to use to get down to the right depth. It's good to use heavier line when you're inexperienced with squidding as losing jigs can get expensive.

I use about 10lb Super 100 mono straight through for most of my squidding. I rarely lose jigs but I get a lot more takers than going any heavier. I prefer to fish the smallest jig practical in the conditions (deeper water, bigger jigs etc) and with heavy line I might have to up a 1.8 to a 2.5 or thereabouts in the same conditions... again from my experience reducing catch rates.

If you're not losing the occasional jig you're probably not fishing effectively for squid but I only lost 2 jigs I can remember in my last 12 months in Sydney... and that was a snagged paternoster rig under the Spit Bridge, not casting over the kelp.

Cheers, Slinky

I have found the Yamasheetas if snagged can be pulled off as the prongs are very soft and can bend backwards whereas the Yozuri's dont, but I find the Yozuri's far better than any others when it comes to catching squid.

I have found the Yamasheetas if snagged can be pulled off as the prongs are very soft and can bend backwards whereas the Yozuri's dont, but I find the Yozuri's far better than any others when it comes to catching squid.

That's interesting, I like the fact that it can be saved if its stuck dead on a rock for example.

Off course your main line must be strong.

The yoshikawa jig I had, bent slightly , withstood more than 10lb of force without bending until it came off the snag.

Had 10lb fireline, tied directly to the jig. Broke at the knot.

Cheers Slinky. I think i might try and get my spare spool rigged up with some 10pound mono. Not sure how much will fit on a 2000 sized spool though....? i think Zephi started this post and for him i think you might try using mono or using a leader with your braid. Braid is the most visible underwater and may deter the squid from attacking your jig. Just a thought. Cheers. Mike.

Just want to add here.... the sink rates for a yamashita size 2.0....

Can anyone give me a rough estimate how long it takes to sink 1 metre of water?

The jig I'm comparing to is the Yoshikawa, which takes about 7secs/metre.

sorry......... but did you say you are fishing braid directly to the jig :1yikes::1yikes::1yikes:

big no no... use a mono leader!

Chris

What happens if I fished braid directly to jig? pull out the hooks?

Or is it, squid can see the braided line? or maybe the jig's action is affected?

It does seem like squid can see the braided line if you go without a leader.

Afew times the squid swam right at my feet and other people would be trying to jig it with straight through braided line but often times they would just stare at other people's and then go for mine when it sinks to the bottom (this was 9lb clear mono straight through). Might be just luck though :1prop:

What happens if I fished braid directly to jig? pull out the hooks?

Or is it, squid can see the braided line? or maybe the jig's action is affected?

Just another thing to consider - Firstly, definately get the good jig brand that have already been mentioned. Secondly, they are a bit more expensive but if you pay $25 for a jig and then catch 20 squid on it before you lose it, then you are getting those squid at just over $1 each. Thridly, although snags are a common occurance, losing a jig isnt because they have no barbs and most of the time you will be getting stuck in soft kelp...