Fishraider Tuna Day?

alasdair

How did use go yesterday Steve.

Knowing my luck use probably smashed it!!

How about the dam chooks on Saturday !#$% I took them as well.

Dan it was a great day weatherwise but was hard going fishing...

we had 2 strikes on stripies with one of em being skull draged in by me :1prop: ...

setup a cube trail n/e of the mount and soon after one of the lines was sharked...

didnt lose a bait after that...

i know of 3 boats that did good that day,2 confirmed and one 3rd hand...

we were not far from one of them that got 5 to 30kg and another boat was closer than us and still missed em..

lotta water between fish but they are good fish if ya get lucky..

there was some gemmies caught bottom bouncing as well..

all up there was quiet a few boats out and only a few got lucky that i know of...

i had a great time with old and new friends...

thx for the company guys,shame the fish didnt want to play but was good to be out there ....

cheers...steve....

ps:go those mighty ea.... i mean chookies...... :074::074:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan it was a great day weatherwise but was hard going fishing...

we had 2 strikes on stripies with one of em being skull draged in by me :1prop: ...

setup a cube trail n/e of the mount and soon after one of the lines was sharked...

didnt lose a bait after that...

i know of 3 boats that did good that day,2 confirmed and one 3rd hand...

we were not far from one of them that got 5 to 30kg and another boat was closer than us and still missed em..

lotta water between fish but they are good fish if ya get lucky..

there was some gemmies caught bottom bouncing as well..

all up there was quiet a few boats out and only a few got lucky that i know of...

i had a great time with old and new friends...

thx for the company guys,shame the fish didnt want to play but was good to be out there ....

cheers...steve....

ps:go those mighty ea.... i mean chookies...... :074::074:

Thanks for organising the trip Steve, it was hard going but it's always good to be fishing, catching or not.

Good to meet Geordie & George as well, a grand day out.

Cheers,

Neil

Ditto for me too!

What really hurt was that another boat [smaller] turned back from going to Browns because it was rough & jigged the reefs closer in with EXACTLY the same size ,weight,and colour Williamson Abyss Jig as I used at Brown's for some cracker Kingfish!

Thanks for organising the trip Steve, it was hard going but it's always good to be fishing, catching or not.

Good to meet Geordie & George as well, a grand day out.

Cheers,

Neil

it was great day as i said and nice to meet you Chris and George...

its amazing we were so close to other boat but the fin just didnt want our offerings...

top day out in my books and hope Glenn realises that even though no fin came aboard we still enjoyed the day out..

success should not be measured by the fish you catch,just easier to measure by fish caught i think...

cheers...steve.....

it was great day as i said and nice to meet you Chris and George...

its amazing we were so close to other boat but the fin just didnt want our offerings...

top day out in my books and hope Glenn realises that even though no fin came aboard we still enjoyed the day out..

success should not be measured by the fish you catch,just easier to measure by fish caught i think...

cheers...steve.....

If there is one thing that you can be sure of steve is that glenn would have put his all into it for you guys. I organised a group for last years raider tuna day and we were also fishless for the day except for a last ditch effort of a troll home after cubing for the whole day landed us a single 30kg fin. The hunters know their stuff and you know if they couldn't come up with a fish on the day that not many others would have either!

You guys will get into them next time for sure!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Not good. Trolled for about 4h30m hours from Botany to Browns for zilch in ordinary conditions. 2 meter swell.

Cubed for about 3 hours once we got there for a single run, no hook up.

Then back again, only faster, in the dark with bigger swell. Quite disappointing really. In my view, we should have turned around once we saw how bad the swell was and stayed closer in, maybe for kings or bottom bashing.

On the way out we only heard a single report over the radio of a single yellowfin being caught. Another boat reported some albacore, but mostly just nothing.

I realise there are no guarantees and it's a risk we take when we go on a charter. But we could have pursued other options - and it was like that idea was never even on the table. It will be a long time before I part with 240 bucks for a charter again. I could have almost hired my own boat for the day for that, which has the added bonus of being fun even when I don't catch anything!

Perhaps I'm just being naive, but I would have thought that the worst thing that can happen is for clients to go home empty-handed. There should always be a plan B.

On the other hand, I got to meet some more raiders which is always a good thing :)

How did you boys go today??