Old Fishing Reels

Tim

Hi guys

I was recently given my late grandpa's fishing rod & reel. The rod is a beautiful 2 piece split cane rod that he made, and his overhead reel to match.

The reel looks quite old, and I was just wondering if anybody may have heard of it before. I think it's all stainless steel, and on one side it is stamped with "Manly Engineering Ltd", and on the other side it is ingraved with "The Graeme" (atleast I'm pretty sure that's what it says). The gear ratio is around 4.3:1. It could do with a polish, but other than that it is in very good condition inside & out.

One other question re the reel is that it has no drag. Is this common on old reels? The only drag would be my thumb on the spool. I could imagine getting bruised knuckles from a fish making a sudden run whilst winding, as the handle spins when line is being pulled from the reel.

Cheers

Tim

i had a graeme dolphin which i sold to a collector in SA for about 70 bucks. He works for jarvis walker and I traded him for a $70 new reel. They aren't worth a great deal, anything from $50 to $100.

i had a graeme dolphin which i sold to a collector in SA for about 70 bucks.  He works for jarvis walker and I traded him for a $70 new reel.  They aren't worth a great deal, anything from $50 to $100.

37677[/snapback]

Yeh, but it's sentimental value is through the roof! I don't think I'd ever sell it even if it was worth a lot.

G`day Fellas ,

I dont remember "The Graeme Reels" , but I did buy my ist " Surfmaster " overhead about 1957 and matched it to a Solid Fibreglass Slazenger Rod to Fish from the Bondi headlands ( Mermaids) .

A pic from ebay Appears below

Also from Ebay is this Graeme Reel and a few Stats on them.

But one can only assume the reel you have , by not having a drag system , must be an earlier model to the one below.

This " The Graeme Supreme " Model 200A Revolving Drum Multiplier Fishing Reel was made in Australia by Bennett Engineering of Manly New South Wales c1956.

The Reel diameter is 2.75 inches and has a spool width of 1.75 inches.

The Reel has a chrome plated brass body, duralumin spool , counter balanced handle, gear ratio of 3:1, free spool lever, ratchet check, quick take-apart screws, anti-backlash, star drag and line wind .

Mick

Edited by OWZAT

That's a similar looking reel apart from the drag. Mine's got a different handle though. They really built them to last back then didn't they! My Pa was a really keen beach fisherman so this reel would have had a tough life, but internally it is like new. All the gears are in excellent condition.

I don't know if anyone here will know about this, but there's a bit of green oxide growing in some patches particularly around the reel mount. If I polish this off, is it going to come back worse?

G`day Fellas ,

Tim , when my grandad passed away , we inherited two Rods and reels , plus some other gear.

My father kept his fathers pride and Joy , a beautiful split cane rod , fitted with an immaculately kept wooden reel that was a dream to use.

I on the other hand was given the second outfit , which was a whippy 9 foot tubular steel rod Made from can you believe it ( A World War 2 Tank Aerial ! ).

Now when my dad and I fished side by side for blackfish , it was always a battle royal , but over the years I think honours were pretty even.

I have to tell you though , My Tank Aerial worked like a charm , wether fishing for big bluenose bream, Blackies or even Garfish , the rod handled like a dream , and its probably why I will always have a liking for long whippy Rods.

I forgot to mention that My rod , was fitted with a bakerlite reel , which I still had up untill two years ago when I dropped it on the concrete floor in the garage and it shattered into about 5 pieces.

Gees it was tough throwing that reel into the bin , collection day was 4 days away , and nearly every day I was tempted to retrieve the bits and hoard them away .

Mick

Edited by OWZAT

I inherited my Grandpa's Graeme reel. It sounds almost identical to yours, apart from mine has drag, but no anti-reverse. They obviously didn't use rod holders in those days. :1prop:

Very good nick, no wobble or visual signs of rust. Have seen a couple of Graemes on ebay, but I think I'll hang onto mine.

Cheers, Steve.

• 10 years later...

Graeme Reels are from Cairns. Fishy story is strange but true.

I found this out when I went to buy a pair of shoes in Mareeba!

It seems that Bruce ?? started selling fishing line locally and then designed reels and had them built to his specifications.

With the money he made from this, he started a shoe shop in Mareeba.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

• 2 weeks later...

I inherited my Grandpa's Graeme reel. It sounds almost identical to yours, apart from mine has drag, but no anti-reverse. They obviously didn't use rod holders in those days. 1prop.gif

Very good nick, no wobble or visual signs of rust. Have seen a couple of Graemes on ebay, but I think I'll hang onto mine.

Cheers, Steve.

Very interesting Steve. Possible to post a photo of reel?

Fritz