Dam Bass!

G'day Raiders.

Headed up to Clarrie Hall Dam with Roberta y/day to see if I could put her onto some bass action.

It was a bit blowy from the south & conditions weren't great. :(

We spied a couple of sunken trees in deep water & headed over for a few casts. I'd fished this area before for no result but it always looks the goods.

Roberta cast to the right & I went to the left. 1st cast I got a couple of subtle nudges but nothing serious. Next cast nothing. My next cast sees the rod nearly ripped out of my hands from a smashing hit. " Ohh, good fish" I say. This thing went like the hammers on 6lb & wrapped me in some reeds for a bit but I managed to wrestle it out. Fat, fit & 427mm. Very happy & a great start. We headed over to the opposite bank & Roberta got a nice hit that failed to connect. :1badmood:

The arse then dropped out of the barometer as a rain squall came through & the fishing just shutdown.

We fished until dark casting at everything but failed to get another hit. Grrrr.

Anyway a nice afternoon. I would rather that Roberta nailed that fish though. I would have loved to see her get into some beaut bass but it wasn't to be.

Here's some pics of the lone bass.

Cheers,

Grant.

Very nice fish mate, carrying some great condition. Betts Spinners are dynamite on the Bass aren't they? You can fish the whole water column with them. :thumbup: What a shame Roberta didn't connect, but with all the surface fishing she does she would have taken it all in her stride. The damn barometer can switch a session of quick as a flash :ranting2:

Cheers

Skip

Excellent fish Grant!!! What a ripper! :thumbup: How hard does a 40cm+ bass go on 6lb? I can only imagine that it's similar (or probably better), than a 4kg stripey on my old Charter Special!!

Bad luck for Roberta, and that quick weather change was a bummer. Maybe next time ...

Great report and pics.

Cheers

Peter

Thats a nice & healthy looking bass,would've been nice to see Roberta get one of those as well.

Im sure it wont be too long before she is back there for another shot at them.

Well done on a top fish & nice photo's too!!

Steve

Hey Grant, that is a good looking fish, from what I've on TV shows they really fight hard and aim for the nearest snag, shame you couldn't get Roberta onto one.

Cheers..

I'll tell you what Ray this thing was on roids!

There was a small patch of lily pads & stems near that tree & when it bored off into them I couldn't turn it.

The only time it behaved itself was on the 'measure of success' & posing for pics. It didn't move once. As soon as I poked it's nose back towards the water it went nuts again on release.

I've just knocked my line down from 10lb to 6lb braid for some fun. Well, it worked!! I have bumped the leader up to 14lb flouro though as sometimes they bury themselves in thick lily stems & you can't budge them. All you can do is pull on the leader & do some 'gardening' to get them out.

Roberta should be fishing Somerset Dam in QLD today so I hope she gets into a few.

Thanks for the replies all.

Cheers,

Grant.

Betts spins ay!!!!

What a healthy lookin bass mate... Give Bessy a bit of grief, i bet :1naughty:

Wishin I was up there with ya, guess till the i'll just keep :drool::drool::drool: and :1beer::1beer::1beer:

Mate I was just happy that I beat your p.b for the dam again!

Your turn to show me up once more next time. I'll make it harder for you & reverse into the prime possies. :074:

BTW, that fish pulled harder than any trout you've caught of late!!!!

Cheers,

Grant.

What an elegant lookin fish.. Just like us poms hahaha

Mate that's a very good catch there, you've definitely outdone yourself (and almost anyone else for that matter)

G'day mate.... sorry I missed this report.

Nice to know that you obviously only take the good looking Raiders to the spots in Clarrie Hall that hold fish. You were obviously just terrified I'd show you up by catching better fish than you if you took me to the good spots.

Next time out at 9 mile I'm going to make sure you don't get any easy drifts. :tease:

Cheers, Slinky