Swansea

Kiwi Dan

Hello raiders,

On the last weekend of October a couple friends and I are heading up to Swansea for a couple days fishing. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me any advice for the trip. Like,

Is it easy to get outside or do you need to cross a bar?

Any info on the boat ramps, are they good ramps or do you need to dry winch off the sand and are they far from the heads.

What species are best to target up there at that time of year.

Any reserves or no fishing zones.

Any good places to catch live bait.

And anything else at all that you may think of.

I am only just starting my research into Swansea because I have no idea about the area. I will definitely be searching the internet to try and find out as much I can but I though I may as well start on raider with a few questions.

Any advice is appreciated, and im more then happy to shout you a couple beers if you are up in the area when im there!!

Edited by Kiwi Dan

Hello raiders,

On the last weekend of October a couple friends and I are heading up to Swansea for a couple days fishing. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me any advice for the trip. Like,

Is it easy to get outside or do you need to cross a bar?

Any info on the boat ramps, are they good ramps or do you need to dry winch off the sand and are they far from the heads.

What species are best to target up there at that time of year.

Any reserves or no fishing zones.

Any good places to catch live bait.

And anything else at all that you may think of.

I am only just starting my research into Swansea because I have no idea about the area. I will definitely be searching the internet to try and find out as much I can but I though I may as well start on raider with a few questions.

Any advice is appreciated, and im more then happy to shout you a couple beers if you are up in the area when im there!!

Gday Dan

You shouldn't have too many dramas with the bar mate, its one of the easier ones along the coast to cross, its wide and its protect fairly protected by Moon island which is just at the end of the crossing on the southern side. General rule with the Bar is avoid crossing in a Run out tide and Northerly winds especially a Nor Easter we've only been really horrified once lol and that was crossing it in the morning in flat conditions and a set of about 4 or 5 two metre breakers shot through out of nowhere and drenched us to the max :wacko: lol.

The Northern side of the bar breaks in the calmest of weather so its a no go and its normally chockers to with jet skiiers, so pick your run out starting at the south wall and just keep an eye on the channel markers

Coming in is usually a breeze in most conditions just wait for a set of waves and hop on the back of them and surf them back through the walls making sure not to fall down the face of the wave or let a wave hit u from the back

Ramps- there are no shortage of ramps in the area mate whether you want to lauch in the channel itself or launch in the lake is upto you as they're all fairly easy launches and good ramps but we tend to stay away from launching in the actual channel itself as the tides surge and it can be a real bugger trying to retrieve your boat in the afternoon and trying to fight the tide. We always launch over at fishing point in the lake which is a great ramp to use with heaps of car and trailor space and is protected especially when the southerlies come up and make the lake one giant washing machine.

Live bait- The channel marker at the start of the breakwall on the southern side where we get our livies- Slimies, Pike and Yakkas. Just burley up with bread, chook pellets and tuna oil and you should have them around the boat in no time , just becareful if any sort of swell is running.

Moon Island is also a decent spot especially for slimies just look for the bait on the sounder and drop your bait jigs into them.

Outside Swansea is just like one big flathead ground for about 5 kilometres out from the bar and they always seem to be there. Also Caves Beach about 3 Kms south off Moon Island has a huge reef area, floating baits out for snapper is the way to go about buisness there or look for Sambos and talior busting up the on the surface.

Will PM ya some GPS marks when I get home and if you have anymore questions would be happy to try and help you out futher mate

Hope this helps

Fisho5

i've heard theres some good squidding up around the Swansea area, just not sure around what time of year, but its always good to give it a shot, and get a seafood platter of fish and calamari :P

Good Luck with the trip, even though its quite a while away.

• 9 years later...

Kiwi Dan, where have you been mate?

Neither Greg or i have seen you out on middle harbour in years? Still got my number, flick me a sms or gimme a buzz,,, Greg's still donking a lot of kings at in the harbour, but the ratio is down to 5 rats for every good legal at 70cm+

Dan

On 7/25/2018 at 6:58 PM, Piss'n'Broke said:

Kiwi Dan, where have you been mate?

Neither Greg or i have seen you out on middle harbour in years? Still got my number, flick me a sms or gimme a buzz,,, Greg's still donking a lot of kings at in the harbour, but the ratio is down to 5 rats for every good legal at 70cm+

Dan

Guys this is an old post from 2009!

• 4 weeks later...