Jew Fish Hot Spots

knapers

Flint & Steel, Juno Point, Walker Point and the two Hawkesbury Bridges are commonly known but have you personally had success at these spots or do you find you have better luck at places that not everyone knows about.

Personally i have only ever caught two soapies and they were both at F&Steel.

Tell us what you think.

Cheers, Knapers.

Flint & Steel, Juno Point, Walker Point and the two Hawkesbury Bridges are commonly known but have you personally had success at these spots or do you find you have better luck at places that not everyone knows about.

Personally i have only ever caught two soapies and they were both at F&Steel.

Tell us what you think.

Cheers, Knapers.

38075[/snapback]

Knapers,

I cant believe no one has answered you here. Although died in the wool Jew fishos can be pretty secretive. :1naughty:

I used to fish Flint and Juno regulary back maybe 6 or more years ago, and did for years previous to that.

Its not a matter of fishing an area, its a matter of fishing the RIGHT spot at the right time.

Before these websites started up, and people started to share info, it was very hard to learn how to catch big Jew without putting in MANY years of hard work of trial and errror.

When i told people we were fishing 80lb handlines on springers with 10/0 hooks & whole slimeys and yakkas, both live and butterflied, not only did they think that squid was better, but not many people used springers then either or knew what they were.

The Jewfishing fraternity was quite small back 10 yrs+ ago(thats serious jew fishos)

I even had mates that fished different areas for years looking for big Jew that could only manage up to 10kg jews with LOTS of hard work and fishless nights.

Why?

because they used squid and fished the wrong places.

Only this year did one of my good mates finally succumb to my ways(even though i dont fish for jew these days) and every trip he has pulled big Jew.

Its all about the moon, the tides, the right spot, using your sounder, sussing out eddies, positioning your boat in the right spot.

Our best fishing was always at Flint on the run out to low and Juno at the run up to high 1 hr either side is more then enough time to fish.

Daytime better than night.

The bridges SUCK I.M.O. :thumbdown:

If you want some more detailed info, email or PM me as i dont think splurging everything on here is fair on those that have done the hard yards.

There is big Jew around, and you WILL get one of you are serious about it.

cheers

changa

ps. most trips we would get at least 1 15kg fish or bigger with the biggest being 32kg. I know there has been some real thumpers this year. A mate of mine has got a couple over 35 and close to 40kg. :1yikes:

Changa I disagree with you on baits. I've used slimeys ,yakkas,mullet & tailor both live & butterflied alongside live & fresh squid over a 30 year period & squid came out miles in front on all sizes of Jew. We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

There are Jew anywhere you find eddies & any points sticking out in the current are worth fishing. When the Tailor are about & feeding on the surface slipping a live one down near the school is always worth a go.

Springers are a length of cane or fibreglass or someother type of material with a split or clip at the end for holding the line when you are using handlines. They are mounted either on the sides or stern of the boat. There's numerous ways of mounting them so they can be removed or moved around to suit the way the boat is laying in current. They are basically there to hold the line clear of the side & prevent current pulling line off the handcaster.

I used to use cane with a split in the end & depending on how & what I was fishing for the line would be either pulled lightly into the slit so it was just being held or place it in the split then a couple turns around the cane then back in the split so if a fish took off there was enough pressure there to pull a hook in.

They are very handy if you fish handlines & commercialy made springers are available.

changa see my PM

:biggrin2:  :biggrin2:  :biggrin2:  :biggrin2:

39399[/snapback]

Ken,

like many others, you will continue to use squid, and in certain places, it reigns supreme. Places like bar point and spencer, neverfail etc always did well on squid over other baits, but in the places where the big fellas hang out, the butterflies even outfished everything and more often than not, it was the yakka that got the bite.

Over the years of running the hawkesbury classic, and with our club predominantly based on and around the hawkesbury river, i have had the pleasure of not only catching some great fish, but also weighing many of the winners.

Some great fishos like the WANTUCH family, Steve Nolan, The PIERCE's have won time and time again with BIG JEW with most caught on fish baits and not squid.

I know many charter operators that also advocate similar methods.

Sure squid works, but its not the ultimate.

Yes, we will have to agree to disagree :biggrin2:

Lightweight.

We used to make our own springers out of polyethylene rods.

The ones available thru shops are just too thin and weak.

We would use 13mm rod and taper it to 1/2" and fit them into propper chromed rowlick holders that sut flush on the coaming. very neat and gave us the ability to fish many outfits for variety when using blood droppers also.

Breamnut,

check your PM.

Knappers,

you should be out there now.

Moon is good for hawkesbury Jews.

Col Buckley is a great bloke. He has great success with beach jew and certainly worth listening to.

The hawkesbury has been fishing exceptionally well this season for jew. I know of over 20 captures of 15kg + fish to 40kg in a small window of time and places.

There is monsters about on beach and river if you do what it takes.

Our club is looking to hold a jew night in the coming weeks which will cover baits, rigging and what to look for etc. Interested people can PM me and i will give you more details.

changa

Changa your a champ, i thought it must have been a shit subject :biggrin2: i have been fishing the Hawksbury with Dad for a couple of years and we havent done much more than fish the places i mentioned in the original post plus Danger Island. Dad and i have only ever caught school jews but we always live in hope of catching the monster Jew. We have fished with everything from Live squid to live tailor and slimmies and yellow tail. so it must be the fish arent there , coz we have fished every moon tide and whatever. Thanks again, Knapers.

Ken,

like many others, you will continue to use squid, and in certain places, it reigns supreme. Places like bar point and spencer, neverfail etc always did well on squid over other baits, but in the places where the big fellas hang out, the butterflies even outfished everything and more often than not, it was the yakka that got the bite.

Over the years of running the hawkesbury classic, and with our club predominantly based on and around the hawkesbury river, i have had the pleasure of not only catching some great fish, but also weighing many of the winners.

Some great fishos like the WANTUCH family, Steve Nolan, The PIERCE's have won time and time again with BIG JEW with most caught on fish baits and not squid.

I know many charter operators that also advocate similar methods.

Sure squid works, but its not the ultimate.

Yes, we will have to agree to disagree :biggrin2:

Lightweight.

We used to make our own springers out of polyethylene rods.

The ones available thru shops are just too thin and weak.

We would use 13mm rod and taper it to 1/2" and fit them into propper chromed rowlick holders that sut flush on the coaming. very neat and gave us the ability to fish many outfits for variety when using blood droppers also.

Breamnut,

check your PM.

Knappers,

you should be out there now.

Moon is good for hawkesbury Jews.

Col Buckley is a great bloke. He has great success with beach jew and certainly worth listening to.

The hawkesbury has been fishing exceptionally well this season for jew. I know of over 20 captures of 15kg + fish to 40kg in a small window of time and places.

There is monsters about on beach and river if you do what it takes.

Our club is looking to hold a jew night in the coming weeks which will cover baits, rigging and what to look for etc. Interested people can PM me and i will give you more details.

changa

39405[/snapback]

Hi Changa,

What club are you talking about ,I would luv to be part of it.

Regards Jewie Hunter

Knapers,

Too many people chase a fish in the HOPE of catching other species also.

when hunting BIG jew, you cant do this.

I remember when i was learning the ropes from a legend Jew fisho, sitting watching our rods etc and watching the tips THUMPING now and again.

My question to him was......"what the %@&^% is biting on our rods here"

his response?

"There is whoping big bream down there"

then i say..."why cant i pull that in and drop down a bait on a 2/0 and clean up"

he says...."you fishing for bream, or fishing for Jew"?

not long after that we had a 16kg Jew boatside and lost another bigger fish.

All in the space of 90 mins.

It taught me a valuable lesson, target ONE species and you have much more success, especially when the fish are bigger.

Jew dont just hang out everywhere when they are larger fish. They school in large numbers when soapies or schoolies but become more independant when older.

The bigger fish are big because they are smart.

they dont waste energy swimming into current to catch a feed, they dont fall for shonky rigs(usually) either. they are opportunists that feed when a feed presents itself with little risk to them.

They hang out of strong currents and have large appetites. In order to get enough food they must be in areas that suply that food.

The closer to the river mouth(lower reaches) the more bait will pass by.

This is why Juno and Flint have become popular spots to fish.

Its funny to watch people fishing these places as 90% of them are not in the right spot. Take some time to SOUND and area with your sounder before fishing or take a spin around juno and sound it whilst looking at eddies and current etc and work out where the bait will hold and the fish can stay out of strong current.

I used to sound places that i had heard of if i was going past and no one was there. you find some great structure and can then mark it with pin point accuracy on your GPS.

Presentation of baits and rigging plays a big part too but im sure you have that area sorted out.

good luck.

Jewie hunter, check out the post under FISRAIDER SOCIAL EVENTS titled LURE PRESENTATION etc.

changa

Changa wicked info, i know what you mean about the Bream, and when we fish for Jewies we only fish for Jewies. But we just havent been lucky. YET

Telco i have met Col a heap of times and he is a great help and a top bloke too. He would want to be a top bloke, getting paid to fish and teach fishing, what more could you ask for? :biggrin2:

well here you go.....

patience............

all the spots have been listed and when there are schoolies hanging around and you are there you will catch one, but not the big one......as if they are not there people generally go elsewhere if they arent there.

i have caught big jew in many areas not mentioned and they arent worth mentiong as my point is i have sat in a spot as long as it is deepwater from 8pm till 5am with a big bait out and not one bite till say 3am and caught the big one.. now all ask yourselves would you have still been there in that spot at 3am most i would suspect not!!!

Now there is an advantage of a place like this no pickers and if a big one comes past you have bait there (and you can relax and wait) with several baiots out.

remember patience and deep water and when you think about it that is why catching them stands so high amongst our community as you will really earn the ones you catch but they will come. You are more likely to be succesful this way than carrying on the way most fishos do and snagging the luckyone