The Bad News: Get Ready For More Jellyfish

mrmoshe

The bad news: get ready for more jellyfish

PREDICTED global warming will bring warmer waters to Sydney but those waters could bring some unwelcome hitchhikers - venomous jellyfish in larger numbers.

Research by CSIRO scientists has shown the waters off south-eastern Australia will warm faster than any other part of the southern hemisphere.

While that will mean more tropical fish - and sharks - coming our way, it also means more box jellyfish and irukandji jellyfish.

Box jellyfish - one of the deadliest creatures in the sea - can have as many as 60 tentacles up to 3m long with up to 5000 stinging cells.

They have already claimed at least 60 lives in Australian waters in the past 60 years and people can’t swim in the sea off northern Queensland during summer because of them.

According to CSIRO scientist Dr Andrew Richardson, overfishing and nutrient and sewage run-off are also boosting jellyfish numbers.

“Fish normally keep jellyfish in check through competition and predation but overfishing can destroy that balance,” he says.

Dr Richardson says the southward-flowing East Australia Current is strengthening and the waters off south-eastern Australia will warm faster than in any other part of the southern hemisphere.

“That will bring tropical fish and jellyfish into sub-tropical waters,” he said.

Interesting post Pete - but I reckon the leather jackets will take the sting out them, they will eat anything that moves :1prop:

Does that mean in the future we will be praising leather jackets instead of cursing them? :P

i caught a long finned or honeycomb cod the other day off the rocks at terrigal... i looked them up n there a great barrier reef fish, so its all happening.

Edited by humkyle

The current up here turned to the south late last week & for the 1st time we saw a stack of jellys on 9 mile reef. :(

If you haven't been inundated by jellys yet I doubt whether the EAC has brought them down to Sydney this year.

Hope they haven't invaded up here! :wacko:

Cheers,

Grant.

are u denying the concept of global warming and its effect on flora and fauna?

Yes

The weather changes we are seeing are caused by the changing ocean currents La Nina and El Nino which are cyclical

Polution is a problem as is the cutting down of vast rainforests Trees are the lungs of the earth

It was only thirty years ago that global cooling was supposedly a real problem

Dont get fooled by media sensationalism or political agendas

Yes

The weather changes we are seeing are caused by the changing ocean currents La Nina and El Nino which are cyclical

Polution is a problem as is the cutting down of vast rainforests Trees are the lungs of the earth

It was only thirty years ago that global cooling was supposedly a real problem

Dont get fooled by media sensationalism or political agendas

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0034-4885/68/6/R02

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v421/...ature01333.html

Sure its not as "world ending" as media reports say, and acknowledge that i am not part of the average demographic who bases their knowledge bank on the media and/or political vote encouraging announcements.

Global warming isnt a case of walking outside in the middle of winter n realising its 34'c, but it truly is having an effect on plants and animals, and therefore will affect the way we live, not tomorrow or next week, but soon enough.

my rant for the week, lol.

peace