Wiring Boat Trailer

Dhutchy

Hey Raiders maybe there is a sparky out there, or a knoweldgeable raider who might shed some light. I need to wire up a new connector from my trailer.

The Narva 7 pin flat connector comes with a handy wiring diagram for the seven pins, matching wire color to pin number. Easy peasy. Well it would be if my existing wires matched the colors as specified by the wonderful Narva people - I have two lots (4 wires in two cables ) of red, white, green brown - no black, blue, violet, pink or any other specified by Narva.

Is there an easy way other than trial and error to get the things right? :wacko:

Rgds

Dhutchy

Its not just about catching fish, but it helps

Yeah mate the easiest way is to buy a test light from a spare parts place and use that to pin point which wire is what

Hey Raiders maybe there is a sparky out there, or a knoweldgeable raider who might shed some light. I need to wire up a new connector from my trailer.

The Narva 7 pin flat connector comes with a handy wiring diagram for the seven pins, matching wire color to pin number. Easy peasy. Well it would be if my existing wires matched the colors as specified by the wonderful Narva people - I have two lots (4 wires in two cables ) of red, white, green brown - no black, blue, violet, pink or any other specified by Narva.

Is there an easy way other than trial and error to get the things right? :wacko:

Rgds

Dhutchy

Rgds

Dhutchy

The way i see it, you have 2 options -

1) Use of a multimeter

2) The system method (one pin at a time, left to right -> Disconnect one from the old connector, then connect that to the new connector etc etc)

Hi

It is unusual to have 4 core cable ...are you sure there is not another colour that has been cut off at the plug end ? does not really matter if those are the colours that are being used already

Standard colour codes are red stop light...brown tail light....yellow left indicator ..green right indicator and white is earth,if there is no yellow you could try using the colours as above but use the green as the indicators in the plug spots 1 and 4 for each side depending on which cable runs down each side.

Hope this is of some help

Kev

Edited by sorro

Hi

It is unusual to have 4 core cable ...are you sure there is not another colour that has been cut off at the plug end ? does not really matter if those are the colours that are being used already

Standard colour codes are red stop light...brown tail light....yellow left indicator ..green right indicator and white is earth,if there is no yellow you could try using the colours as above but use the green as the indicators in the plug spots 1 and 4 for each side depending on which cable runs down each side.

Hope this is of some help

Kev

Thanks Kev,Sorro, Toxicifish and Blacky,

all very good info. I will keep you posted as the saga continues... I am trying to avoid calling in a mobile auto electrician...

Rgds

Dhutchy

To add to Sorros helpful post I would have a look at the light board.

You will quickly see which coloured wire belongs to what light.

Should be easy then to match it up to the wiring diagram.

Alteratively look at the old plug and assuming it was wired correctly just copy it wire for wire on the new plug.

Steve

To add to Sorros helpful post I would have a look at the light board.

You will quickly see which coloured wire belongs to what light.

Should be easy then to match it up to the wiring diagram.

Alteratively look at the old plug and assuming it was wired correctly just copy it wire for wire on the new plug.

Steve

Hey Guys thanks for all your help - The reason for this rewiring is that the trailer popped off the tow ball on the weekend - pulling the wires out of the old connector :mad3: . So I having nothing to go by other than whats on the narva plug.

I will keep persevering. But if anyone knows of a reasonable mobile auto/boat electrician it might be handy.

Cheers all

Dhutchy

Its not just about catching fish, but it helps.

I will keep persevering. But if anyone knows of a reasonable mobile auto/boat electrician it might be handy.

Hi Dutchy

Auto Electrician I am lol :biggrin2:

It really is fairly straight forward to sort out (most of the time ) try putting the white wires into the 3 pin (centre) plug into the car and turn on the tail lights ,then put the other colours one at a time into pin 7 and see what lights up on the trailer .I would be reasonably confident that the colours would be as i described previously if done by anyone that had any sort of an idea so maybe try that first.

If you are still in trouble let me know

Kevin

Another option is to take the covers off the lights and see which colour cable operates what light.

Geez Fishraiders are good, particulary with sharin' their smarts.

Thanks to all for the help, trailer lights now functioning. :thumbup: There is a link a found that has the standard wiring diagrams and configs for Australia. If anyone wants it pm me ( i don't want to upset the mods here). It was helpful, but pretty much the Fishraiders, the labelling on the connectors, and patience won through. Trial and error won the day.

Thanks again.

Rgds

Dhutchy