Blackfish Floats

blacky

Just wondering if anyone out there makes there own floats for catching Blackfish ? If so could you give me some ideas etc etc or show a step by step guide on making them . i thought it would be nice to make them while the weather isn't so good .

Hi there

Roosterman, Kolaboi & I talk about making floats on the Blackie thread below

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=23679&hl=

Simple red chopsticks make good 'light' floats - just cut the 'top' off some hooks, and carefully hammer them into the sides of the chopsticks (lining up the holes) - one at the bottom (fat bit) of the chopstick, the other about 6-10cm below the top of the chopstick. Make sure the tip is painted bright red or orange (to be seen easily.)

Experiment on any other items that you think may work!

Cheerio & good luck

Roberta

mate give me a buzz tomorrow..

i also got some real nice weed hanging in the shed :1naughty: ..

Chris ill be cheering if we can manage to escape that dreaded wooden spoon :1prop:

what a shocker of a year,very surprised freddy hasnt been axed,i think his rep is saving him and having big Artie taking the helm could help i think.

cheers..steve.....

Edited by roosterman

.....i also got some real nice weed hanging in the shed .........

ooooh that sounds good, Steve!! Bring some up next time you visit the outlaws!! :1prop: Good stuff is rarer than hen's teeth just now!

Roberta

.....i also got some real nice weed hanging in the shed .........

ooooh that sounds good, Steve!! Bring some up next time you visit the outlaws!! :1prop: Good stuff is rarer than hen's teeth just now!

Roberta

yeh its pretty lean at alot of spots and is first time in sooooo long i have looked...

my first neverfail spot was clean as a bubs bum and second spot was luckily holding plenty...

was getting worried as 3rd spot is a bit of a hassle so luckily didnt need it..

i will get a fresh batch & send some with jaime when she takes kids to see mum during holidays...

cheers...steve.....

hehehe many thanks, Steve - I will owe you!!

I guess some of the more 'regular spots' would have been cleaned out with all the rough weather? Haven't even started looking for cabbage yet, as our beaches/rocks here have had a pounding since I have been away! No sand left at all on the beach side of Burgess beach! Same thing happened here 10 years ago when we first arrived, so all the rocks have been exposed & the cabbage either knocked off or burnt off in the sun.

May have to see if the 'berry weed' has been left unharmed! :1yikes: Bloody cold & windy here today. Haven't stuck my nose outside yet, but will have to shortly!! :wacko:

Cheerio

Roberta

hehehe many thanks, Steve - I will owe you!!

I guess some of the more 'regular spots' would have been cleaned out with all the rough weather? Haven't even started looking for cabbage yet, as our beaches/rocks here have had a pounding since I have been away! No sand left at all on the beach side of Burgess beach! Same thing happened here 10 years ago when we first arrived, so all the rocks have been exposed & the cabbage either knocked off or burnt off in the sun.

May have to see if the 'berry weed' has been left unharmed! :1yikes: Bloody cold & windy here today. Haven't stuck my nose outside yet, but will have to shortly!! :wacko:

Cheerio

Roberta

its sunny here but windy and im in bed with bad case of flu..

the weed is estuary string stuff,i didnt bother looking on the stones due to rough weather and i was passing my ol fav weed spot anyhows...

if i do come up with family we will catch up...

but as always ill do my best to stay here. :1prop: ...

as for the original topic...

get some cedar wood and pop over and we will knock a few up...

very easy to do...

cheers...steve...

Edited by roosterman

mate give me a buzz tomorrow..

i also got some real nice weed hanging in the shed :1naughty: ..

Chris ill be cheering if we can manage to escape that dreaded wooden spoon :1prop:

what a shocker of a year,very surprised freddy hasnt been axed,i think his rep is saving him and having big Artie taking the helm could help i think.

cheers..steve.....

I remember reading one of your posts somewhere that said "I think it will be the final that didnt happen in 08- roosters v manly" - - - -What happened?????? :074: Thank god we dont have to survive on what we make from tipping footy we would all starve!!! Lucky we know how to catch fish!

Pete.

P.S. i just couldnt resist having a dig being a panthers fan! hope you have a sense of humour. :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

It feels good to make a nice float yourself or just buy them if you have a spare $1.50.

These are priseless becauce each one are made for any kind of fishing.Some are for lakes ,off the rocks for drummer,garfish,mullet.you name it ,It can be made .So see if you can buy that.Thanks

Just wondering if anyone out there makes there own floats for catching Blackfish ? If so could you give me some ideas etc etc or show a step by step guide on making them . i thought it would be nice to make them while the weather isn't so good .

Blacky,you need a set up.

IMG_0065.jpg

chilli ,

Do you use a lathe to make your floats ?

Blacky,I use a lathe and a grinder with sandpaper on it,I use heavy paper to start then fine to finish.If you can blow up the photo of my shed you will see the lathe and sanding gear.Thanks.

Edited by sweet chilli

Blacky,I use a lathe and a grinder with sandpaper on it,I use heavy paper to start then fine to finish.If you can blow up the photo of my shed you will see the lathe and sanding gear.Thanks.

Blacky,PM me tell me what you want made and I will make you a few.So if you want black fish floats I will send you a couple.Thanks mate but the season is almost over but hit the drummer they all work the same.

Here's a few of mine and and my late Dad there are some in here which are 40 years old made by hand or on a lathe in blasa redwood orAustralian red cedar, all the decoration is hand whipped gudebrod yjr ones done by hand were formed using a small plane all the stems are tonkin cane hand turned using a plane each float took about 10 working hours to make

post-5131-1255511098_thumb.jpg

Here's a few of mine and and my late Dad there are some in here which are 40 years old made by hand or on a lathe in blasa redwood orAustralian red cedar, all the decoration is hand whipped gudebrod yjr ones done by hand were formed using a small plane all the stems are tonkin cane hand turned using a plane each float took about 10 working hours to make

Hey Royce.. I still have that hand made one you gave me. Haven't lost it yet despite getting Surgeoned a few times this year... :1prop: