Beginners Luck!

jewgal

Dioxins are a group of chlorinated chemicals. They are produced by industrial processes.

There used to be many factories along the parramatta river, particularly around mortlake and homebush (still industrial zones, but not dumping directly into the river).

The jewies would most certainly have the dioxins in them. Especially a predatory fish with a slow growth rate, they would have accumulated quite a bit one would think. There are no specific facts on jewies from the harbour as of now.

Personally i release all fish caught from the parramatta river, be it bream, flatties or jewies.

The dioxins are the reason for the closure of commercial fishing in the harbour.

I also did an experiment a few years ago, testing for dissolved heavy metals in the water using a precipitating agent (makes the dissolved metals form solid carbonate compounds). Basically i found a crap load of dissolvd lead, zinc and other compounds (this testing was conducted at Banjo Patterson).

All that said, many people eat plenty of fish and have done for years, and there is nothing wrong with them...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for all the replies guys and girls.

As I sit here listening to the rain it looks like i was lucky to pick monday night instead of any other this week. The weather has been TERRIBLE.

i ate the first fillet yesterday and it tasted great. what is the go with dioxin in Sydney harbour? is it in jewies? i tried to look it up on fisheries but couldn't find it?

cheers.

Great work Jewgal. I just put a link in the fishing chat section but here it is again see chart page 11.

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/_srcfiles/...arch%202007.pdf

?

it's a bit hard to take a photo of myself. here's a pic of the tasty morsels sitting in my freezer now. i even dated it.

post-10879-1247224975_thumb.jpg

:tease:

Good stuff!!!

Were u landbased?

Bet u didnt expect these many responses from your post!

yeah i was landbased. I can't believe how many replies there were. great site isn't it?

cheers,

brenda.

Edited by Jewhunter

Nice jews jewgal. Well done.

Guys, please keep your replies to the capture of some nice fish.

Stupid remarks will not be tolerated. I have already edited this thread. The next post I have to edit will see that member having a holiday from Fishraider.

Jewhunter,

Admin.

?

it's a bit hard to take a photo of myself. here's a pic of the tasty morsels sitting in my freezer now. i even dated it.

post-10879-1247224975_thumb.jpg

:tease:

yeah i was landbased. I can't believe how many replies there were. great site isn't it?

cheers,

brenda.

how are you gonna top that? :1fishing1: