Beach Rig?

pocko79

Hey Raiders,

I have been thinking about getting a beach rig set up

I all ready have a rod and reel for the job... that I grabbed off my dad :D but i was wondering what sought of set up to use?

I was think 30lb mono line, double paternoster set up with gangs and a big star sinker.

I have been beach fishing before but only when I was younger so any tips on a set up would be great EG what sinker, knots, hook size.

OH! and I live in Newport on the Northern Beaches so if anyone could tell me a good spot that would be much appreciated to

Thanks alot

Bass Master

Hey Raiders,

I all ready have a rod and reel for the job... that I grabbed off my dad :D but i was wondering what sought of set up to use?

I was think 30lb mono line, double paternoster set up with gangs and a big star sinker.

I have been beach fishing before but only when I was younger so any tips on a set up would be great EG what sinker, knots, hook size.

OH! and I live in Newport on the Northern Beaches so if anyone could tell me a good spot that would be much appreciated to

Thanks alot

Bass Master

Hi Bass Master...I would say the beach rod and reel your Dad passed down to you would be a good one from the days when they made good fibre glass rods for the retail outlets or custom built figreglass rods that were all much around the same price.... I dont like gang hooks at all and you can make them up youself by snelling hooks closer together using three or four wrap centauri knots dependent upon leader size.... It would be ok to use a sinker running to the head of say big tough baits say streamlined at the end towards the rod tip and use the the weight of the bait itself at the end of the line to give you a decent cast... if there was a run in tide with the wind behind it or a cross rip running you could use a claw sinker on the bottom and have your bait set up like a running snapper sinker... Some of the northern beaches have good natural outs and fish well and the idea is to fish a beach where you see a lot of other people fishing with similiar gear on week nights .... :thumbup:

Hope this helps

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

30lb is too heavy off the beach unless you're specifically targeting jew - I wouldn't go above 15lb for normal beach fishing species (and even lighter if you're after whiting and bream). My beach gear has 12lb line.

As for rigs - patternoster for tailor/salmon and running ball sinker for everything else.

Just get a line in the water and it will all become clear soon enough.

I agree with Mondo, for a newbie to beach fishing if you keep it simple you should

produce some nice bream, tailor, salmon etc.

15-20lb main line, ball sinker running to a swivel, 25-30 inches of leader to your hook.

This is where you can decide on line strength, 10-15lb for bream and if it's tailor you

are chasing step up to 30lb.

Most beach fishing rigs are decided as you are fishing, I will often change rigs after a

couple of casts if the water is moving quickly or the gutter is close in or further out,

and change sinkers accordingly, for example 2 weeks ago I was playing with salmon

at Avoca Beach, the lateral gutter was only 15 meters or so from the edge and I was

casting unwaited ganged pilchards, this worked and I caught heaps of salmon and tailor.

So you really need to assess the conditions before you rig up and after a cast or two

change it if necessary.

There are heaps of other rigs for specific species and different hardware combinations,

but for a new beach fisher just stay basic and enjoy what it brings to you..

Hey Raiders,

Thanks alot

Bass Master

Depends what your targeting bud. I agree that the older rods are tougher and made to last. I have a couple of hand me down 12fts. yes they are a little heavier to hold but boy they do the job.

Again it depends on what your fishing for. I think 30pd mono is overkill unless hunting big jews. I would stick with 10-16pd mono and would fish a paternoster on a star or jinker. if you want bream/whiting, try fishing a lighter trace say 8pd on a single hook with worms etc. For bigger fish, nothing wrong with gangs for whole pillies, or snelled 2 hooks for whole squids or slab baits. Obviously if your fishing whole baits, use a heavier trace prob about 50pd fluro.

Hope it helps.

Mate like you I got a hand me down home made rod my dad made back in the 70's

Made from an original Butterworth PowerBlank (it was 14foot lonk and is not 13 and a half) cause I broke the tip running repairs on the tip guide, lol.

Mate I reckon same as Ray

I have fished a lot of beaches since I was real young and I started off on 12lb which was fine for Whiting, Bream and the odd Soapie.

Recently I was using 30 and I was getting bricked a lot by some monster Jew, Sharks and big Rays.

I reckon you should have 15lb main with 12 backing so you get some extra line on the spool, and if you are chasing toothy critters that will shear your line (like Taylor, Jew and Shark) then put on a 1m leader of 30lb running to the hook.

Best rigs that work for me up in Broken Bay are:

1. Running sinker down to 3 X 2/0 ganged hooks (no swivel needed- let the sinker run all the way to the hooks)

2. Paternoster with Snapper lead and 2 X 2/0 or 3/0

Have tried other rigs like single long shank with a light leader and this is OK for Whiting and bream (as mentioned by other members) but if you want the GUN BIG fish you need to fish accordingly.

I still get bricked regularly on bigger fish but I habe taken some good Sambo's up to 65cm and Taylor up to 58c from the same rig (2.) above aswell as some nice 68cm Croc's and a nice Soapie Jew of 56cm all on same night- full moon, mid-sumer, 1.65m midniht high tide.

Goos luck with it all, I hope all the replies have assisted you make an informed decision.

Maybe also ask locals when you go and watch and ask questions what they use, their line strength, baits and rigs- most beach fisho's are happy to help out and answer any questions you shoot if you ask nicely.

As for spots on Nthn Beaches- I havent fished that area but my Sister live @ Bilgola Beach and I have some good mates who live and fish the area, they reckon the following palces work well:

Palm Beach

Whale Beach

North Narrabeen

Again good luck- hope to hear some reports of your adventures in the next few weeks

Also, PM me if you want to dangle a line up that way one day- I am always keen to try new palces and I have a few in mind which are fairly easily accessed and are not all that crowded.