Blue Water Lures

Hey Guys,

I am going on a trip to Vanautu soon and I was hoping for a little assistance regarding to what lures to take.

The fish to be caught are Yellow Fin Tuna, Dogtooth Tuna, Dollies, GTs, Wahoo and maybe Marlin.

I have currently 5 minnows, 3 poppers, 5 jigs and 5 skirts.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers

Hey Guys,

I am going on a trip to Vanautu soon and I was hoping for a little assistance regarding to what lures to take.

The fish to be caught are Yellow Fin Tuna, Dogtooth Tuna, Dollies, GTs, Wahoo and maybe Marlin.

I have currently 5 minnows, 3 poppers, 5 jigs and 5 skirts.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers

Try the Classic Bluewater F18

"The Classic Bluewater F18 Fishing lure will swim perfectly at trolling speeds up to 10 knots or more, and is great for trolling for species such as tuna, mackerel, wahoo, dolphin fish, reef fish, king fish, Gt's and more. The diving depth of the Classic Bluewater F18 Deep Fishing Lure is 15 feet Plus."

post-6058-1248049181_thumb.jpg

Try the Classic Bluewater F18

"The Classic Bluewater F18 Fishing lure will swim perfectly at trolling speeds up to 10 knots or more, and is great for trolling for species such as tuna, mackerel, wahoo, dolphin fish, reef fish, king fish, Gt's and more. The diving depth of the Classic Bluewater F18 Deep Fishing Lure is 15 feet Plus."

post-6058-1248049181_thumb.jpg

I dont have much experience in bluewater fishing in the tropics but i hope this helps.

I took one of those bluewater classics (same colour) to the solomons last year and caught good coral trout, bluefin trevally and about a 4ft reef shark on it. The split rings straightened and trebles fell off as shark was secured boat side. I replaced the spilt rings and trebles and the very chomped up lure kept catching fish. Other guys got small spanish and doggies on them too. For some reason where i was the fish would only hit the lure if it was at least 50m behind the boat. I think ill get more for my upcoming fiji trip. Also used Halco laser pros and x-raps in various colours and depths, and large bibless minnows. Fished all our lures on a foot of 60lb single strand wire leader.

One of the more experienced game guys might be able to help you with skirts.

Make sure you pack something with the red head

redhead1.jpg

h53.jpg

Which islands are you fishing?

Cheers for the info, fishing around Santo for 5 days. Thinking how ever many lures that I take I still won't come home with too many.

All lures that I currently have, I have put 150lb split rings on and owner hooks. All the fishing gear is supplied at a replace if lost of damaged basis, so I am trying to minimze the cost for lures prior to going.

I don't mind spending the for a decent that lure.

We swapped all the trebles for strong doubles and singles

This doggy was roughly 30kgs and absolutely smashed this lure on the troll

doggyv.jpg

Like spanner has said, run all your lures off wire traces and out of the wash and you shouldn't loose too many lures

2 lures that i would recommend you take for your trip that will catch big fish anywhere are

a Rapal X-RAP30 deep diving minnow in blue mackerel or bonito pattern and take at

least one, 6 to 8inch pink coloured jet head trolling skirted lure with a fairly heavy

weighted head & rigged with a single 10/0 mustad hook.Run it way out the

back up to 40 or 50 metres & hold on as tuna,mahi mahi & wahoo will

smash it if they are in the area.

Goodluck & hope you get some nice fish!!

cheers

Steve

Edited by nexus