Wiseman's Ferry/spencer Spots?

Captain_Birdseye

Hey everyone,

First time poster but have been checking out the site for a few months now.

Am heading up to Wiseman's Ferry/Spencer for a land based session mid-morning til early arvo (would prefer to do early morning or dusk but getting my mates to agree to that is a deal breaker on coming out) and am wondering if there are any goodish spots to try out.

Just checked out Google Maps and there seems to be a wharf at Wiseman's below the car ferry as an option and is there another wharf at Spencer? Can you fish off them?

Will be trying a combo of bait (prawns/pilchards) and soft plastics and hard body lures but obviously being land based - need options to make it not entirely a waste of time.

Any ideas, tips or suggestions most appreciated. Happy to do a bit of walking if required - but just a decent directional tip would be great.

Thanks

Captain_Birdseye

There is a wharf just down stream of the boat ramp which can become crowded at times.there is a small beach just up stream from the ferry, accessable via picnic area which fishes well at times. The road between Wisemans ferry & Spencer runs very close to the river with some nice rock platforms right beside the road. Singleton rd runs along the sothern bank of the river & also has some fishey looking rock platforms. This road is dirt at the bottom end & is a no through rd. However being on the sothern side will get the sun first if your planing an early morning. hope this helps. good luck

There is a wharf just down stream of the boat ramp which can become crowded at times.there is a small beach just up stream from the ferry, accessable via picnic area which fishes well at times. The road between Wisemans ferry & Spencer runs very close to the river with some nice rock platforms right beside the road. Singleton rd runs along the sothern bank of the river & also has some fishey looking rock platforms. This road is dirt at the bottom end & is a no through rd. However being on the sothern side will get the sun first if your planing an early morning. hope this helps. good luck

Thanks for that - my mate has failed to get his 'permission slip' signed in the affirmative (shouldn't be too hard to translate that) so I will be going out by myself.

The upside is I'll be heading off earlier than originally planned so should get the both sides of the high. Will be trying the rocky spots on the wiseman's to spencer road and see what's doing.

Just looking forward to trying out a new spot - if it shows promise with the land based stuff - could be back with the brother and his boat in the very near future.

Appreciate the tips. Will upload a report and hopefully some photos post-trip.

Thanks for that - my mate has failed to get his 'permission slip' signed in the affirmative (shouldn't be too hard to translate that) so I will be going out by myself.

The upside is I'll be heading off earlier than originally planned so should get the both sides of the high. Will be trying the rocky spots on the wiseman's to spencer road and see what's doing.

Just looking forward to trying out a new spot - if it shows promise with the land based stuff - could be back with the brother and his boat in the very near future.

Appreciate the tips. Will upload a report and hopefully some photos post-trip.

Well that was a nice scenic drive...

Not a single bite but it was a glorious day to be out and... well at least out.

Tried wharf at Spencer, a nice rock with rod holes about 2km west of Spencer and the little beach up from the ferry at Wiseman's and just wondered - what was on telly at home?

Haven't lost faith in the area - be foolish doing that - but will probably only be back with a boat and the freshest Hawkesbury prawns in the universe!

Well that was a nice scenic drive...

Not a single bite but it was a glorious day to be out and... well at least out.

Tried wharf at Spencer, a nice rock with rod holes about 2km west of Spencer and the little beach up from the ferry at Wiseman's and just wondered - what was on telly at home?

Haven't lost faith in the area - be foolish doing that - but will probably only be back with a boat and the freshest Hawkesbury prawns in the universe!

You should've had a sherbert at the Dunkirk Hotel (the tables and chairs opposite the shop)

Mate, wait till the end of sept beginning of october - you wont believe the difference! the river pretty much shuts down at the wisemans end over winter but come spring it can be a great spot. I have seen many years where the fish actually come on the bite in good numbers at wisemans before they come on the bite at brooklyn - hard to comprehend when you consider that they have to swim through brooklyn to get to wisemans but my theory is that the prawns start to run at that end of the river in spring and the fish travel upstream in anticipation, as soon as the prawns start to run, the fish are already there, and automatically come on the bite. Some years are better than others but generally speaking sept and oct then again in march april may are the gun times to fish that area and anytime during summer not to bad either.

My advice is put the rod in the rack for another month or two then get serious about fishing wisemans!

hope this helps.

pete.

Mate, wait till the end of sept beginning of october - you wont believe the difference! the river pretty much shuts down at the wisemans end over winter but come spring it can be a great spot. I have seen many years where the fish actually come on the bite in good numbers at wisemans before they come on the bite at brooklyn - hard to comprehend when you consider that they have to swim through brooklyn to get to wisemans but my theory is that the prawns start to run at that end of the river in spring and the fish travel upstream in anticipation, as soon as the prawns start to run, the fish are already there, and automatically come on the bite. Some years are better than others but generally speaking sept and oct then again in march april may are the gun times to fish that area and anytime during summer not to bad either.

My advice is put the rod in the rack for another month or two then get serious about fishing wisemans!

hope this helps.

pete.

Sounds like a good idea, Pete! (I have been watching this thread with interest). :thumbup: I'm planning to spend a lot of time at Wisemans from late September, so am hoping to finally get to know how the area works! Hope I can get my boat situation sorted out by then... :wacko:

Maybe one day, I can hook up with you and you can give me a few pointers! ;)

Baz

hope this helps.

pete.

Helps a lot - thanks.

Just wanted to go somewhere last weekend and hadn't been up to Wiseman's in who knows how long...

Live in Galston so its a fair distance to fish anywhere which is annoying, so am keeping my ears open for a spot relatively close!

Helps a lot - thanks.

Just wanted to go somewhere last weekend and hadn't been up to Wiseman's in who knows how long...

Live in Galston so its a fair distance to fish anywhere which is annoying, so am keeping my ears open for a spot relatively close!

Hi Captain Birdseye You mentioned Spencer... Spencer has more of the Bar Point / Marlo mid upper scenerio than Wisemans has and wouldn't take you all that long to drive up the gorge and go down via the side of mangrove mountain... It is a good place to fish landbased in general and it would be good place to try out a few times and find out what's happenening down there as the weather gradually warms up.....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: