1 Magical Hour On The Tongariro River

Hi all,

two weeks ago headed up to Turangi with a mate and the wife, she was of on a half marathon we on a mission for Taupo rainbows, first day no luck on the Waitahanui loads of fish very wary, this lttle river is a spring fed stream so gin clear! And is also home to the famed picket fence!

Day two hit the TT after a freh and no luck so we decide off to Turangi and the Tongariro well the pics explain and it wa the best hour ever.....a 4.5lb jack from the Blue Pool and a rush i will never forget new PB for me.

Just a footnote in top condition that fish would have gone 6 - 7lb oh well next time!

Enjoy

LA

More pics

post-5131-1250194745_thumb.jpg

post-5131-1250194762_thumb.jpg

post-5131-1250194791_thumb.jpg

post-5131-1250195295_thumb.jpg

post-5131-1250195328_thumb.jpg

post-5131-1250195342_thumb.jpg

Edited by luderick -angler

Hi LA

hehe The Picket Fence rings a bell!! they were too good for my meagre attempts at fly fishing there .... so I went upstream & had fun in the fast water!! Got my share of 6-7lbers. It pretty well changes yearly, after all the floods. Some of the famous 'pools' get pulverised & other 'non fishy' areas, suddenly come good!

Well done on your PB!! Terrific day on the Tongariro there, buddy!!! Isnt it a lovely waterway? Can be a bit trecherous crossing it at times tho! I got pulled 'into' it by a friend who was 'helping' me cross it! I came up spluttering & freezing wet & cold & let him know about it!! I was not a happy chappy, I can tell you!!! He knew about it, too!! :ranting2::ranting2: His brother reckoned he'd never heard such language before .... especially aimed at his brother!!

I have actually seen fisticuffs on the river there, when people haven't behaved 'properly' in taking their turn along the pool ..... cast, retrieve & step left 2 paces, cast, retrieve & step left 2 paces ....... were you fishing nymphs below drys, or globug/nymph combos?

Fishing wets downstream work a treat as well, stripping them slowly along the edge. I fished it when it was sooo cold there one time, the runners were icing up & the line would not 'shoot'! You had to dip half the rod tip into the water to melt the ice so you could cast it effectively, even tho you have to do it every other cast!

I want to go back & do it again!! I am jealous!! Check into the auckland Freshwater Anglers Club (http://www.afac.org.nz) - they have access to a well priced lodge at Turangi & they often travel all over the north island for fishing weekends at different rivers & lakes. I was a member before I returned to Aussie!

Enjoy - it will only get better from now on!! :)

Roberta

PS Have you tried up around Murapara/Rangitaiki area? Some top fishing there too ..... just don't leave your car unattended for too long! :wacko:

Congrats on your fish L.A, what a nice place, your pics are great too, when are you coming back to Aus Royce, looking at those pics it will be hard to leave..

Edited by Ray R

Hi Roberta,

apparently the pools in the Tongariro have not suffered too badly in recent years and they have not changed a great deal, the Tauranga Taupo on the other hand can change in as little as a week! the Waitahanui changes very little as it takes a lot to affect it being spring fed and not in the catchment much like the Hinemia. The water was not too bad up there its in September October when the snow melt starts she gets cold!

Ray,

hopefully back in october 2010 money allowing and yes with fishing like that it's going to be hard I even have a trophy brown trout fishery 45mins from home being the Wainuiomata! It's tough :1prop:

Cheers

LA

Edited by luderick -angler