Electric Reels And Rod

I have a budget of about 3k and am looking for a setup which I can bottom bash browns . I have been looking at Miya epoch cx8s or the comand 8hp. The comand 8hp is the one I am looking at. Do you put it on a normal game rod like the shimano t curve 37kg game rod . Is this the best setup for this style of fishing . Or is there another option which I should look at. Help much appreciated thanks

Hi mate this might help you a bit I have a electric reel and I bought my rod from america there,s a company on blah blah poop called gulfsupply and go to deep drop rods it cost about 350 bucks or so and has ball bearings and roller bearings in the top runner that can be greased if your carefull when you take appart but seems pretty good so far other game rods use a bush and there,s nothing wrong with that but bearings have less friction with continuous load.

But in all that I also own a reef king alvey and I dont use the electric reel much anymore found the alvey is great just as quick and alot cheaper and give,s a bit of exercise as well hope this helps.

Mark, you will need a bent butt rod with a AFTCO swivel roller tip. I'm currently running an Epoch X8s and it hasn't missed a beat thus far. Top reels :thumbup:

Cheers

Red

look at the kristal range of reels and winches particully the winches they are much better value then the reels and will pull up anything, i have a 910 which costs $2000 and has 400kg of pulling power and retrieves at 80m a minute, the equivelent kristal reel is around the $3600 mark pm me if ya want details

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark

I recently bought a Miya X8S and a 37kg bent butt with Pacific bay rollers for all up $2030.00. The Miya with the bent butt is awesome at Browns, winching up from >500m. The pacific bay rollers help overcome risk of braid getting caught and the line getting cut.

Regards Kit

pm me if you want details.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Big-Banana

Not a fan of rollers on deep drop rods. Your fishing braid and there isn't a whole lot of friction as the retrieve pace is quite settled. No long, fast runs to contend with either. I fish with a 5ft custom bent butt rod with guides which has worked well. I have matched this with a Miya Epoch X8zz. Total cost, under $1750.

Not a fan of rollers on deep drop rods. Your fishing braid and there isn't a whole lot of friction as the retrieve pace is quite settled. No long, fast runs to contend with either. I fish with a 5ft custom bent butt rod with guides which has worked well. I have matched this with a Miya Epoch X8zz. Total cost, under $1750.

Mate i fish the same set up as yours for 2yrs and had no issues.Fished both rod types roller and guides and i stuck to the rod with guides found it more than ample to do the deep drops.

chris.

Hi Mark ,

I had a budget around the same and ended up with Miya Epoch CX15 with custom 6 foot 130lb bent butt rod. Got the reel from online shop from JApan with 1500m PE18 braid.

Its an awesome reel and the extra line can come in very handy if the current is running.

The set up is in the background with 19.8kg harpuka from Kiama.

Definatley recommend Miya Epoch.post-4064-065485100 1288598092_thumb.jpg

Also Guys Regarding everyone who has electric reels, our State government in all their wisdom are looking at banning them come the next review of fish sizes etc.

They say that ppl with electric reels are in effect destroying a fishery by easily being able to take too many fish.

Could anyone at Fishraider start a petition to give to the Government?

i contacted several members of parliament but it was around Election time and they all blew me off.

I know of several members of local Game fish clubs who use them, not to mention charter boats.

This has beem discussed here http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=47389

We need to make some noise here and hopefully it will turn out like the MAko thing.

Edited by lukeric