'monster' Fish Threatens Darwin Bathers

deano2233

A popular Darwin lake has been closed to bathers as authorities hunt down a giant fish that tried to bite off a woman's foot.

Lake Alexander is close to the beach but barricaded with a fence to protect swimmers from crocodiles and jellyfish that roam the nearby waters.

But a giant fish — believed to be an estuary cod — has driven Darwin residents away from their once-safe watering hole.

Darwin City Council spokesman Grant Fenton said a local woman was standing in the water when she felt pain coming from her foot.

"She told us that she looked down and saw her toes and half her foot were in its mouth," he said.

The woman kicked the big fish off her foot and escaped with minor lacerations and bruising.

Darwin City Council workers have closed the lake to swimmers and will now mount a sophisticated fishing operation to catch the underwater menace.

"They're going to string up several nets and long lines across the lake with hooks and bait," Mr Fenton said.

"The plan is to catch the fish and then release it back into the ocean."

The size of the fish is still unknown, although Mr Fenton said it would have to be a very large specimen to be able to fit its mouth entirely around the victim's foot.

Some species of estuary cod can grow to a length of over 1.2m and weigh over 150kg.

Locals are debating how the fish got into the protected lake, with some suggesting a fisherman may have dropped it in as a baby — not realising how large it would one day get.

The hunt for the fish is also provoking some cringe-worthy puns in the Darwin City Council office.

"We'll get our lake back, ‘cod’ willing," a staff member said.

It turned out to be an estuary cod, or something like that. i was expecting a huge fish or a scene from jaws.

Yer i thoght it was a 'monster' Fish, fair enough 80cm is big but not a monster.

Some species of estuary cod can grow to a length of over 1.2m and weigh over 150kg

in my books its big but not a monster