2 Pbs In Half An Hour ..... On 1lb Crystal Fireline!

arpie

Hi all

Well - I'd heard that Crystal was addictive, but I didn't realise just how quickly you can get hooked! I only used it for the first time the other day ...... and now, I WANT MORE!!!

Headed out this morning in the yak, hoping to snare some blackies, but after returning home with 3 last night ..... it wasn't an urgent requirement, so packed my Starlo Stix & Loomis Repair job & headed to the leases at Tuncurry.

I cast the Loomis with 1lb Fireline Crystal around the 'flats' with no touches & then got a little game, actually throwing it between the floating leases! :tease: I had a Newpenny GUlp Shrimp on a 1/60th HWS & it got smashed as soon as it hit the water! It was nearing top of the tide & initially I thought it was a flattie, till, in the clear water I could see it was a very reasonably sized bream! Definitely mid to high 30's! I was only in just over a metre of water & I could see it shaking it's head as if to say 'What The' and at this point in time, I actually thought I was going to net it! It was that close to the yak, so I reached for the net & was just about to net it when ....... it made a lunge for freedom & I now realise that the breaking strain of 1lb Crystal Fireline is a lot less than the breaking strain of 6lb fluro! :ranting2: Now that WOULD have been a PB of note!!!

Ne'er mind, I re-rigged and continued casting, getting quite a few hits but no hookups. I figured they were flatties & just not finding the hook, as the jig head hook size was rather small. Next tap/bite, I left it there for a second go & YES!! I am on!! I had loosened the drag so that he could run a bit (had it too tight for the breambo! :( ) and even tho he had a couple of runs, I brought him to the net! A very nice flattie of 45cm!! A PB on 1lb line! :yahoo:

post-2231-1250922024_thumb.jpg

I continued casting & had another hit and this felt like a better fish again! I didn't want to fight him in the lease, so I allowed the current to take me away from the lease to the flats & as I wasn't putting too much pressure on the fish, he actually followed me out without protest!! Then I slowly started to reel him in & was very happy to get him in the net, as he went 48cm!! A double PB!!

post-2231-1250922554_thumb.jpg

and this is where I got them!

post-2231-1250922894_thumb.jpg

I headed off to another lease that I hadn't fished all year (had been busted off by a huge one there last year tho!) and was getting regular hits but I think they were just grabbing the shrimp by the tail, then letting go when I put pressure on them! :mad3:

Then I found the flattie paddock! I must have landed about 8 flatties over the next couple of hours, the biggest going to 45cm, with the others mainly being just legal or just under. After a while, I stopped taking pics of them all!! :1yikes:

And this is the new weapon!!

post-2231-1250922948_thumb.jpg

Some of the others!

post-2231-1250923324_thumb.jpg

What I brought home :D

post-2231-1250922803_thumb.jpg

All up, a terrific day on the water! Don't be afraid to give the lighter line a go - you don't have to go as low as 1lb ...... but, if you are careful, have your drag not too tight, you may just be surprised at what fish you land!! I must admit tho, I won't be putting any of my $20+ lures on it ... :wacko:

Out again tomorrow, before packing the yak up for our trip to Qld next week!

Cheerio & tight lines

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

well done Roberta. Good to see the fish on the bite. I love a bit of flattie action myself. I will have to take the boat out around the leases again. I took the boat out last week and got snagged around the leases by a decent blackie.

Well done on the flathead Roberta and a good effort considering you were only using 1lb braid :thumbup: ...The way I've been firing lately, I don't think 1lb braid would be good enough to even cast a litre of milk at the postman

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Roberta, there are certain centres you can go to get over that addiction, and hopefully you will be back to normal soon.

But seriously well doneon yet another fantasic report on your exploits on the water (and some pb's thrown in for good measure) Got to be happy with that.

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanager

Hi Roberta, great read again and nice pics of your fish too , that 1lb stuff must be really fun to fish with, wonder what the actual breaking point is.

Anyway congrats on your fish..

Great report Roberta! :thumbup:

Congrats on the PBs. 1lb is like silk :1yikes: Very sporting of you using that sort of line amongst the leases :biggrin2: How's the repairs holding up in the Loomis? Terrific session mate ... well done!

Cheers

Ian

Thanks guys! It is just sooo much fun!! Maybe we should have a 'superlight' section! Just for laughs! Nothing over 1lb!! Lots of the pros in the tournaments use 1 or 2lb mono/fluro right thru, specially here in Forster where the bream in the lake are very educated!!!

The rod is performing really well, Ian - the repair is holding up well. I LURV it. I was hoping to put an 'internal sleeve' on it, as the break was right at the handle! Unfortunately, they had filled up the handle/rod blank with white stuff, which I tried to drill thru to acces the break. No luck there, so I had to put the insert in from the rod end, not the handle end. This meant the insert would not fit as snuggly as it would from the other way. It took a few goes, but believe it or not, I ended up using a bit of S/S rod, as it really needed to be VERY STRONG at that point! :1yikes: I had to wrap it with plumbers tape & try to get as snug a fit as I could. First go (before gluing it in), when casting, I could hear the click click as the insert was moving & hitting the inside of the blank ..... overcame that and glued it all up, bound it, coated it, coated it again & again & tried it! Sweet as!! Just need to put a good coating of epoxy on it now, to protect the binding, really ....... one day! :wacko:

Here is the repair - right between the handle & the hook holder!

post-2231-1250979502_thumb.jpg

Rowley (the guy who gave me the rod) suggested I do heaps more 'knot' on the braid side of the leader/mainline join to build it up to the same thickness as the thicker leader part of the knot (even 6lb fluro looks thick compared to the 1lb braid!) It really does look like cobweb & actually 'floats' in the air when cast!

Good on you for downsizing, Johnno - I first downsized last year after fishing with Starlo down Tuross way. I went to 3lb Stren & really liked the extra distance & sense of touch you get from it! I reckon you feel the slightest twitch.... 'specially with the 1lb! A bit of a hoot, really! But fun! If I was relying on it for a feed tho, I would probably go up a pound or two! :biggrin2:

Undecided where I should go to fish this morning ..... do I do the main lake with all the boats, or go to Tuncurry again, where there are none?? Decisions, decisions!!

Cheerio & tight lines

Roberta

Wow .... that is amazing work, Roberta :1yikes: I would have ditched that rod, considering where the break is. I daresay it may have lost a little 'something' in so far as strength or sensitivity, but it sounds like it has been well and truly salvaged! Well done mate. I hope it continues to bring you great success :thumbup:

Cheers

Ian

hehe I have salvaged a few rods now, including my really bendy flicky 5 piece spin/fly rod that met with disaster on our last trip north! Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I reckon! I even salvage the runners from really stuffed rods & keep the busted blanks for internal 'sleeves'!

The Loomis, I reckon, has not really lost any action at all!! They already had a double graphite down near the handle anyway, as I reckon it would have been a noodle rod without that ...... and with what I drilled out of the handle trying to access the break for the sleeve ...... may actually have 'balanced' it again! It is a lovely little rod! 6ft6" - a bit shorter than I usually like, but it is sweet as! :yahoo:

Another PB today! Breambo this time! Initially, I got a small one, on a mouldy cheese minnow

post-2231-1251014190_thumb.jpg

Then I switched rods & tried for some blackies after seeing a bunch of them in one spot ...... put one back & then got busted off by another one that did a big circle from the pole I caught him on, to the pole i was tied up to ..... and skunked me! :ranting2: He didn't know I was putting everything back today, obviously!

Back on the 1lb line, I hooked into a bunch of flatties again, but none of any size ..... a couple of them downright small with one downright tiny!! the biggest one (legal) busted me off as I was trying to get the hook out of his mouth (all the fish yesterday were caught on the one hook & sp! :1yikes: ) Next time I will use the lipgrips to subdue him first!

Then, I put on a pumpkinseed minnow .... and tossed it beside one of the floating racks! Something jumped on immediately & I called it for a flattie, but it was taking me all over the place, making me lay the rod almost horizontal to the water, as it was diving under the floating racks, but didn't (luckily) find the pole! :biggrin2:

This is the little puppy!!! Just on 31cm & a new PB for me, for bream on 1lb Crystal Fireline!! :yahoo:

post-2231-1251027496_thumb.jpg

Nice set of teeth!

post-2231-1251027549_thumb.jpg

With the rod in the background & if you use a magnifiying glass, you may just make out the line!!

post-2231-1251027611_thumb.jpg

I continued flicking around & caught some more small flatties, (one of which launched itself out of the water in an effort to get the lure, but I was too quick! :( ) but no more bream, altho, I think I did miss one nice hit.

All up, another terrific day on the water & what a wonderful day it was! I think I am quite sunburnt (and I put sunscreen on my face too!)

I am reallly enjoying flicking my little rod around with the real light line ..... I will take it with me when we head north later this week! Who knows what adventures will unfold!!

Cheerio & tight lines

Roberta

I will be a bit quiet over the next month as we move around - should find an internet cafe somewhere tho, to get you jealous (hopefully!)

Edited by Roberta

Awesome stuff again Roberta. :thumbup:

You'll have to give the 1lb stuff a go on the Bass up here next time we hit the dam together.

The fishing & fish size will only improve in Forster from now until Xmas. I'm looking forward to plenty of more reports. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

1lb on bass would be fun :thumbup:

Talking about Rods Roberta

have you seen the new rods out by berkley just for yakers at about 4'6"

They look not bad from what i see.

it is a interesting concept but not sure about the length in general

Look forward to catching up again, Grant .... hmmm methinks 1lb for bass would be slightly under gunned! :1yikes:

Johnno - I haven't seen the Berkley ones, but UglyStik put one out about 5 years ago & I got one .... but they are so short, your casting is seriously compromised! Great for just dropping down with bait & pulling up a fish, but for casting any distance, you can forget it! :wacko:

Cheerio

Roberta

:Funny-Post::Funny-Post::Funny-Post:

hahaha I was wondering about reducing the leader strength down to 2lb, to give the fish a fighting chance! :074::074:

Now wouldn't that be a sight to see ....... catching a jewie on silly stuff! :1yikes:

Roberta

Awesome report Roberta! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm still amazed at the 1lb line and your incredible pbs. Well done!

Have you had any problems with it or are there any negatives? Does it tangle easily or what's it like to tie knots?

Can you get line less than 1lb?

Congratulations with the rod too. Good job.

Hope you have a great trip and take lots of photos!

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter

The line is so light, the slightest puff of wind will have it billowing ...... catching any oyster rack wire nearby, so you have to try to 'pick up the slack' even whilst it is in the air, laying the line on the water as the lure lands! I lost count of the number of times it caught the racks ...... but remarkably, didn't seem to scuff or rip! :thumbup:

I mucked up the first few knots I did & they caught in the runners a lot ..... but now using the double uni knot, building up the Braid side a lot more, it worked much better yesterday.

I didn't get many tangles otherwise ...... maybe one or two over the 2 days, but was able to untangle it quite easily. I would love to know the actual breaking strain of it!

I am sure you can get 'less than 1lb' lines ....... not sure if I would try those tho! My heart was in my mouth the whole time as it was!! :1yikes:

Roberta

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter

The line is so light, the slightest puff of wind will have it billowing ...... catching any oyster rack wire nearby, so you have to try to 'pick up the slack' even whilst it is in the air, laying the line on the water as the lure lands! I lost count of the number of times it caught the racks ...... but remarkably, didn't seem to scuff or rip! :thumbup:

I mucked up the first few knots I did & they caught in the runners a lot ..... but now using the double uni knot, building up the Braid side a lot more, it worked much better yesterday.

I didn't get many tangles otherwise ...... maybe one or two over the 2 days, but was able to untangle it quite easily. I would love to know the actual breaking strain of it!

I am sure you can get 'less than 1lb' lines ....... not sure if I would try those tho! My heart was in my mouth the whole time as it was!! :1yikes:

Roberta

According to a website that can not be named, Berkley Fireline Crystal 1b broke at 4.95lb.

Can i ask, what type of knot did you use to the leader / jig heads?

Edited by GeekFisherman

Hi GF

THanks for that link! Lots of intersting stuff to look at! :)

I usually just use a standard uni knot for tying hooks/jigs to leaders, with 5 turns.

Since doing about 12-15 turns of the 1lb braid onto the leader & only about 4 turns on the leader to braid, no more stuffups going thru the runners. I have also downgraded to 3lb leader now, too! Still only had the one bustoff, too - my biggest flattie to date on 1lb is now 58cm (Gold Coast) and 33cm bream (Sunshine Coast!)

Even Slinky has converted to it now, as well as some yakking buddies! Got a nice 31cm bream today, too, plus a smaller bream & flattie.

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

I've taken to using a 3 turn surgeons knot as my silly-string to leader connection. I wrap the Fireline around the leader about a dozen times before tying the surgeons knot. I haven't had any problems with breakage except when getting snagged and having to bust off deliberately.

1lb is not the outfit to use where there are any snags... at least not if you want to keep all your lures. :mad3:

Cheers, Slinky