Got Any Stuck Zippers On Your Fishing Gear?

arpie

Hi all

Have you ever had the zipper stick like glue on a fishing top, fishing tackle bag or something else that has been close to salt water & it just won't budge? If you try to force it, usually the little tag busts off & you are in even worse trouble!

Bloody annoying, eh??

Fix it easily by spraying it with vinegar & wait for a while (white is probably best to prevent stains, but malt is OK too.) Then run a lead pencil along the zipper ( the 'softer' the better, eg 2B as graphite helps lubricate it.)

You'll be amazed at how easily it works!

Roberta

Have you ever had the zipper stick like glue on a fishing top, fishing tackle bag or something else that has been close to salt water & it just won't budge? If you try to force it, usually the little tag busts off & you are in even worse trouble!

This has happened to me several times! :1badmood:

It's so annoying!

Thanks for the tip Roberta. :thumbup:

I'll definitely give the vinegar a go.

Now if you can just stop me doing stupid things and breaking my guides and runners ... :(

(I have three rods to repair at the moment!)

Cheers

Peter

Great tip Roberta :thumbup: not many people would think that corroded zippers which are stuck would be able to be freed up simply by using vinegar ....... I have a few stuck zippers myself particularly on a favourite carry bag that can't be freed up by using boiling water and the convential sprays such as wd40 and inox ......I think we should have a handy hints section dedicated to boats and trailer hints and also a general fishing hint section where everyone would agree that the hints that are included in the fishing hints section are tried and proven common sense hints...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Tan i always find the zippers are stuck once the bag is closed

with gear inside.

one great item i use at work on machinery where metal to metal rub etc

is graphite powder which works great same as using a lead pencil

hehe I'm like you on this one Johnno - always got gear in it!

If you haven't got gear in them, just soaking them in water should work, but sometimes the metal to metal actually fuses & it is a shocker to break that hold.

The sp/hb zipper tackle bags (berkley etc) are a shocker!

Also if you don't close your zips alllll the way up, there is a better chance of them 'fixing' quicker, too! Specially the neoprene booties, I got one pair replaced because the zip 'fused' & they were only 1 month old ..... they had left too much of the bottom metal out & I took along my old pair to show them how they should have been sewn ...... they gave me a new pair that I vetted before accepting!

I have also used inox & wd40 but not always with success!! You just have to be a little patient to allow it to 'do its thing' without busting the tag off in the effort!

Graphite powder would work even better, I would think! I wonder if soap would? That is an old trick with sticky runners .....

Roberta

What a great tip :thumbup::thumbup:

I have 2 pair of neoprane boots at home that I will give this a go on - the zips on these babies just refuse to move....

Wish I had this tip 6 months ago. My Abu Garcia bag I use for the rocks has no zippers left..oh well does that mean i have to buy more gear..damn shame that

gav