Larger Outboards On Small Tinnies

doug43

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows about regulations relating to outboard motor hp ratings on small tinnies.

I've got a 3.95 Quintrex Dart with a 15 hp and since fitting it out with ply platforms it is underpowered. I've tryed a mates 25 hp on the boat for a session and that was great but i'm thinking of putting a 30 hp yamaha 2 stroke on the boat... if only i had more space to store the boat i'd be upgrading the whole kit but i'm stuck with the Dart for now.

Does anyone know if there are rules that relate to putting motors of this size onto tinnies of this size?

Any help is appreciated.

Doug.

Edited by doug43

Hi mate, my family owns 2 tinny's. A 3.8m bluefin and a 3.9m bluefin both with marine ply floors. They are excellent boats and have preformed well for us over a number of years. The 3.9 has currently got a 30hp Yamaha, with electric trim and also electric start. i cannot be sure on the exact weight of it but it pushes the 3.9 nicely. The 3.8 (my boat) has a 25hp Yamaha with electric start/manual tilt. Coming back to your case i would defiantly consult quintrex to be on the safe side. Also your transom will be weighted for a certain weight and hp. I know the quintrex and bluefin are not the same hull, but they would be fairly similar in weight and thickness. I think the 30 would be a perfect combination for your 3.95 dart. But double check with quintrex or a local agent.

Hope this helps, Young Gun. :1prop:

Hi Doug, if the boat is only rated to 25HP then legally that is all you can fit. If you are insured or in warranty you will not be if you fit a bigger HP than the capacity plate. If not insured and boat out of warranty it still is a grey area and if you had an accident and injured someone you will be in a bad situation.

If it is rated to 30HP and you upgrade all 2-Cylinder engines are on par, but Yamaha with that 3 cylinder is a nice engine, but as mentioned heavier and dearer.

Cheers,

Huey.