Eating Eels Out Of The Harbour

hcwang

Hey raiders

Does anyone eat the scary green eels in the harbour? I hear they can be smoked and eaten and isnt too bad.

They are moray eels right?

I have read that if they eat a certain algae then they can give cig poisoning. Not sure if thats the case with our harbour ones though

x1hwOl.jpg

cheers

Haha seeing that picture brings back memories - down at Currarong a few years ago and a mate was washing his fingers in a rockpool (they were covered in pilchards as he had just baited his hook) and suddenly lets out this almighty scream (just like a girl in a horror movie haha) .... one of these eels had bitten his finger to the bone!

When we dangled a pillie in there x3 evil little heads came out and savaged it!

The best bit by far was the scream though hahaha still makes me smile today :D :D :D :D

It was a nasty cut and we were worried about infection but he healed up ok after some TLC from the girls :D

We did take one for the table but by the time we got home it stank and no-one wanted to eat it. Horrible creatures I reckon best to leave them be!

Edited by Andy Loops

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

As far as eating moray eels out of anywhere goes you may as well collect a few mushrooms and simply add the mushrooms to a boiled up cow pad for your stock..

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Let the eels go, yes you could eat them but I think the mushrooms and meat pie would be a better option.

Twin 1 :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

I caught one couple of weeks ago. It was a longfin eel. I thought that I caught some weeds, dead weight, but then, this massive green snake wrapped itself around my line. At first, I was going to eat it because in Portugal I caught a large eel which the locals cooked up and that one tasted good. But after reading all the above posts, I am glad it never made it home with me.

• 3 years later...