My Boat Fit Out

spence

After recently having remote steering replaced with a tiller I started to remove the steering wheel and cables....just kept going and stripped boat clean. It was past time for a new fit out;

post-5101-1254216574_thumb.jpg

Wiring stripped out and new terminals/plugs for nav lights. Wiring for nav lights, sounder and electric motor run through conduit;

post-5101-1254215394_thumb.jpg

Cut some aluminium box tube and angle and had box tube welded in on ribs and I pop riveted angle over them. Angle welded at the stern and more pop riveted to back of rear seat;

post-5101-1254216941_thumb.jpg

post-5101-1254215556_thumb.jpg

flooring from 15mmm ply which was coated with waterproofing and carpeted;

post-5101-1254215726_thumb.jpg

post-5101-1254215764_thumb.jpg

Then I cut front casting platforms- they are split in two and I had to move the sounder up under bow with switch for nav lights; - the flappy carpet on seat has now been glued down now cabin light wired up so now looks better than photo

post-5101-1254215862_thumb.jpg

post-5101-1254215941_thumb.jpg

Then rear hatches cut and fitted (they house bucket, esky, battery and petrol tank);

post-5101-1254216047_thumb.jpg

It came up well and looks like this;

post-5101-1254216105_thumb.jpg

post-5101-1254216151_thumb.jpg

Then I re-fitted the old livie tank which works really well, but this time it is set well back in the boat. It doesn't hold too much water to affect boat. A switch is fitted (can't be seen in photo's) behind the tank. The hatch it sits on is bolted on and the livie tank is bolted to that hatch with wingnuts. It can easily be removed to empty/or clean; The band on the livie tank is just a headlite which I use as a stern light.

post-5101-1254216418_thumb.jpg

post-5101-1254216454_thumb.jpg

The boat is an older 385 quintrex with 30hp honda. The aluminium is light. The ply replaced some older ply that was just screwed straight to ribs so no more than 20 - 30kg added. The under floor storage will house a hose/attachments and ropes etc. The costs were $200 for the welding, $60 for metal, $80 for the ply and $150 for carpet and $50 for glue. Waterproofing membrane I got for free. Other bits and pieces meant total cost of $600.

Edited by spence69

Looks like a really tidy job. Will no doubt make your fishing that much more pleasurable.

Well done.

One Question,,, is that just a small bilge pumping fresh water into the livie tank? and if so, what size ? I've been thinking of getting a decent one on my boat

Cheers, Dave.

Looks like a really tidy job. Will no doubt make your fishing that much more pleasurable.

Well done.

One Question,,, is that just a small bilge pumping fresh water into the livie tank? and if so, what size ? I've been thinking of getting a decent one on my boat

Cheers, Dave.

Dave it is just a cheap water pump purchased locally - $50. Because it has such a short distance to pump it does it very easily, it comes out just like a hose and makes a good splash, circulating the water enough to keep poddies, yellow tail and squid alive

great job mate.....i basically did the same thing last season on mine and i love it. the underfloor storage is awesome seeing as storage in a tinny is non existent.

any chance of a photo of how u mounted the elec motor to the front grab rail? i plan on something similar in the following weeks.

any chance of a photo of how u mounted the elec motor to the front grab rail? i plan on something similar in the following weeks.

ditto..I like the the look of mounting an electric motor directly off the bow rail, rather having to shorten the rail to make room for it....any more details regarding an adaptor, a bracket or a clamp? and how does it perform and what length shaft do you have?

Nice workmanship on the new fit out Spence69.... That type of bass bream boat hull is very sort after these days and your attention to detail has already added big dollars to the value of your boat as well.....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Spence,

Boat looks fantastic.

I can see that you have written a few words about how the bait tank is attached to the boat - but Im a little hazy :wacko: as to exactly how it attaches to the boat. I can see that there is a bracket that somehow attaches to the bait tank. How does this work? For the life of me I work out whats stopping it from falling over :wacko::wacko: .

Would you mind taking a piccie or to of the actual bait tank install ? I need to do something similar but cant work out how it works.

Cheers

Steve

ditto..I like the the look of mounting an electric motor directly off the bow rail, rather having to shorten the rail to make room for it....any more details regarding an adaptor, a bracket or a clamp? and how does it perform and what length shaft do you have?

Nice workmanship on the new fit out Spence69.... That type of bass bream boat hull is very sort after these days and your attention to detail has already added big dollars to the value of your boat as well.....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Jewgaffer; the electric motor is a cheap one $200. It is a stern mount, but I have turned the handle around. I will take a picture and put it on, but am going away tomorrow morning for 4 days. Basically fitted a piece of plastic to the bow and bolted the electric straight on. It doesn't move or anything because the clamps are wedged under the rail. You will see what I mean when I put pictures on. I have had it for a few seasons without a hitch. It is only 32lb or something like that and medium shaft. The tinnie is only a punt and the motor still gets in the water...just.

Hi Spence,

Boat looks fantastic.

I can see that you have written a few words about how the bait tank is attached to the boat - but Im a little hazy :wacko: as to exactly how it attaches to the boat. I can see that there is a bracket that somehow attaches to the bait tank. How does this work? For the life of me I work out whats stopping it from falling over :wacko::wacko: .

Would you mind taking a piccie or to of the actual bait tank install ? I need to do something similar but cant work out how it works.

Cheers

Steve

Evets, this was easy. The hatch is bolted to the aluminium angle. The lbt is screwed to a separate piece. The separate piece is bolted to the hatch - here I have used wingnuts for easy release. (It sits flat because I have countersunk underneath )

great job mate.....i basically did the same thing last season on mine and i love it. the underfloor storage is awesome seeing as storage in a tinny is non existent.

Here's photo's of elec motor

front

post-5101-1255067909_thumb.jpg

rear

post-5101-1255067947_thumb.jpg

Hi Spence,

Boat looks fantastic.

Cheers

Steve

Steve

Long thread

post-5101-1255068119_thumb.jpg

countersunk to fit over first nut

post-5101-1255068146_thumb.jpg

then wingnuts for easy removal to empty and clean.

post-5101-1255068181_thumb.jpg

I have used this set up since last post and it works fine

post-5101-1255068160_thumb.jpg

I like your live bait tank.

Do you just pump water into the tank and then let it flow over the side through the overflow pipe?

Do you still need aeration?

Cheers

Yes on both questions. There is a small battery operated aerator that goes all the time and depends on what bait I have as to how long bait pump runs

Very nice looking work. Well done.

Going back to your first post in this thread, do you mind telling me why you changed from a steering wheel to tiller steer? I am curious because I am looking to buy a bigger boat (current boat is a 10ft punt) and was leaning to a side/centre console or forward steer set-up rather than tiller but am finding it hard to find something suitable in my limited budget. Maybe a tiller steer set-up may be more affordable. What do think are the pros and cons of tiller steer?

Thanks,

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

Very nice looking work. Well done.

Going back to your first post in this thread, do you mind telling me why you changed from a steering wheel to tiller steer? I am curious because I am looking to buy a bigger boat (current boat is a 10ft punt) and was leaning to a side/centre console or forward steer set-up rather than tiller but am finding it hard to find something suitable in my limited budget. Maybe a tiller steer set-up may be more affordable. What do think are the pros and cons of tiller steer?

Thanks,

Baz

Baz, the steering wheel and throttle took up too much room on a small tinnie. 3 cables running front to back as well and it was after market, which didn't help - Forever mucking around with it. The tiller is heaps better. rod

Baz, the steering wheel and throttle took up too much room on a small tinnie. 3 cables running front to back as well and it was after market, which didn't help - Forever mucking around with it. The tiller is heaps better. rod

Thanks Rod. That may give me broader options, then.

Cheers,

Baz