Longy Snappers

GregL

G'day Raiders.

Beautiful arvo off Sydney today.

post-3563-1254401709_thumb.jpg

Heaps of Bonito and rats out off Longy at the moment and plenty of little reds like these fellas

post-3563-1254401622_thumb.jpg

post-3563-1254401656_thumb.jpg

Couple of nicer ones before someone on the phone reminded me my phone is a camera to! DOH

Currents running in from the North and water was 18.5.

Things are heating up!

Greg

Nice looking fish Greg. Has that rod in the last pic been tricked up with an extra fore-grip? Longer grip's a nice idea to get some better leverage on the fish... the one drawback of the ideal snapper plastic tosser (which I like to be at least 7'6" - 8') is that they throw and work lures well but make you work when fighting a fish. Did you end up getting your 9' rod? How's it compare to the shorter rods?

Cheers, Slinky

hehehe ... lookout Reddies, NEXT is back on the water! :biggrin2:

Looks like its going to be a great season, Greg. Is that one of your Branzino reels? That is a very sexy-looking rod! Looking forward to some great reports in the future, mate. Best of luck on the water ... and don't forget the camera :biggrin2:

Cheers

Ian

Thanks fella's

It's so good to be back on the water :yahoo: and yesturday's Sydney weather just made it even better!

The rod, it's a "Millerods Beast Buster Toad Custom".

Usually a 7'6" rod but under request I had it brung out to 7'9" and I have a 8ft version on the drawing board as well.

My thinking is that long casts away from the boat are good. Fish are less spooky so more bites.

Longer the rod, longer the cast.

So far the longest I have and use is a 9ft rod made by UFM. Fantastic to cast with and nice on the fight but a bugger when a king jumps on, to much leaverage in the fishes favor! Only thing I didn't like about the outfit is not enough balls. It's my current Medium outfit.

The rod quest has been a long process to find what I like in a snapper rods and a bloody expensive exercise! I think I'm on rod number 8 currently!

I started off fishing 8-14lb rods with 15lb braid but lost way to many fish.

Now I fish 30lb outfits and yesturday I still had my first smoking on that one......

The extended forgrip is beautiful in hand and the amount of power you can push threw the rod with the hi leverage is amazing.

The Branzino reels just look to cool, I love'm, and the hotted up Jap versions :wank:

I usually fish afternoons only because I hate getting up early! :biggrin2:

G

Nice fish there Greg....those reel handles look soooo good!Are you using pogys? I was also out with my dad on Wednesday for a last trip before he goes to China for a month(dont know how im going to survive without going fishing for that long!), we ended up with four the biggest was jus shy of 3kg, they were all taken on 6inch grubs

Edited by ACZ

Nice fish there Greg....those reel handles look soooo good!Are you using pogys? I was also out with my dad on Wednesday for a last trip before he goes to China for a month(dont know how im going to survive without going fishing for that long!), we ended up with four the biggest was jus shy of 3kg, they were all taken on 6inch grubs

Yeah mate, 4" Pogy's are my plastic of choice.

What size and weight head do you guys use on the 6" grubs?

The handle is an aftermarket "Bassart" carbon fiber job. Beautiful to use and the handle will spin for a good 20 sec, excellent engineering. Been on the hunt for a few more for my other ones but very hard to get, 12 months so far and nothing.....

Hey Jewgaffer, Payday is the best day of the month!

Boat gets refueled(6 trips to longy and back), plastics get stocked back up and I get to treat myself to 1 more piece of fishing gear :yahoo:

Now if I only could grow more kidneys I wouldn't have to wait for payday! hehehe

G

.....Hey Jewgaffer, Payday is the best day of the month!

......Now if I only could grow more kidneys I wouldn't have to wait for payday! hehehe

G

:074: That's a helluva good idea Greg don't worry about the waterworks or payday, just hire your kidneys out for research, and just think what your cloned kidneys would bring in Norway...:thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Yeah mate, 4" Pogy's are my plastic of choice.

What size and weight head do you guys use on the 6" grubs?

The handle is an aftermarket "Bassart" carbon fiber job. Beautiful to use and the handle will spin for a good 20 sec, excellent engineering. Been on the hunt for a few more for my other ones but very hard to get, 12 months so far and nothing.....

G

Yer i can imagine they would be in high demand and limited quantity...i use the stock standard 3/8 ounce and 5/0 size nitro jigheads.

alex

• 2 weeks later...

what contender are you running and does it live up to its hype.

Dan

Hi Dan

I have a 28fter or on the US site it's the 25 open.

I have owned it now for 11 months and have only really finished setting it up.

I went the Contender mainly for the deck layout. I didn't want casting platforms as that puts the front deck out of action out at sea. Fine in calm water but crap for fighting large fish, not a true centre console layout in my mind.

Ride is hard to compare as I haven't been in any other brand of the same size so I wont comment.

I have been in the 23,25 and mine, size is everything! ;)

Every time I go out in the boat it amazes me even more. It's comfy in most conditions, dry, it travels at speeds that you don't even relize your going that quick. It's a 30kn in near all conditions out at sea and a smooth cruze of 34-36kn with a side on swell. I have topped it out at 47kn out at sea and in harbour it's 51 fully loaded with 3 up.

Punching straight into a solid 15-20 NE the other day we still sat on 26 with trim tabs half down and no hard landings at all. I think Browney copped 1 light spray as we slowed down nearing the fishing grounds.

I have done dock to dock Port stephens to hunters hill in Sydney in under 3 hours, yep I recon they live upto there hype! Would I buy a new one? 33 step hull with tripple 300's please. If I hadn't just sunk another 25k into the boat and with the dollar the way it's going I would have considered it. House hunting stopped me this time.....

3 years Contender has been in the country, there is more than 20 boats here currently and a couple on the way, not 1 second hand Contender has hit the market yet! Don't know any other brand of boat that could say that!

Can't wait to see a new 31T that's been ordered with twin 350 yammies, that's gunna be a freaking weapon for the new owner :1yikes:

Greg

Nothing quite like a overpowered CC on the open ocean.........She is one lovely ride and a real eye catcher mate!!!!!!!!!!

Hope to see you at the next S.G.F.C meeting so we can compare notes........

Regards,

Steve

TunaUpoutwide.jpg

Lovely looking boat!!!!!

Nice catch Greg

• 3 weeks later...