Rock Fishing Safety Study

mrmoshe

Rock fishing safety study

MORE rock fishing deaths could be avoided as a result of new research being conducted at a Manly Vale lab.

Research engineer Tom Shand said stage one of the study for a warning system and safety program for rock fishers was complete. Mr Shand worked with Dr Bill Peirson, director of the Water Research Laboratory, one of the University of New South Wales research centres.

After being approached by the Department of Primary Industries, NSW and the NSW Recreational Fishing Alliance, Mr Shand undertook the study.

He is now hoping for more funding for the second and final stage to verify the predictive model.

For the researchers, studying the environment was a risk.

“We had to identify the dangerous areas and survey the sites,” Mr Shand said.

“It was a bit hairy at times since it is a high energy environment but we went out when conditions were calmer and kept our eye on the ocean at all times,” he said.

The research would allow fisherman to use a hazard-prediction forecast, which could be incorporated into daily weather forecasts.

Wave and water level conditions were identified as contributors to significant and potentially hazardous waves over rock platforms that are used by fishermen.

The forecasts would be site specific, using local platform measurements.

A number of high-use and high- risk platforms around Sydney - including Avalon, North Curl Curl, Harbord and Blue Fish Point on the northern beaches - were used in the study. It’s an area where at least 24 rock fishermen, including at least seven at Whale Beach and North Avalon, have perished since 1990.

The NSW Coroner has identified rock fishing as having one of the highest fatality rates of any sport in NSW. On average, eight people per year lose their lives.

A video documentary can be viewed online HERE

Just curious here and this may be abit funny to some and may save a life in the process,if people want to risk there lives fishing off rocks that are known to be hazardous for fishing,why cant they wear a life jacket?

most these lives that have been lost,what was the cause of death,drowning perhaps?

It may seem funny to some,but i think the idea of wearing a life jacket at a dangerous rock fishing spot,could ideally one day save another life,well thats my 2cents.

A predictive model or study can't read a fishermans mind, more money wasted on useless studies imo.

Cheers,

Leo

If ther persons dumb enough to go out in the weather after knowing the prediction that's their own fault.

I am sure however that for those smart enough to understand whats what, that it would save lives. :1fishing1:

Just curious here and this may be abit funny to some and may save a life in the process,if people want to risk there lives fishing off rocks that are known to be hazardous for fishing,why cant they wear a life jacket?

most these lives that have been lost,what was the cause of death,drowning perhaps?

It may seem funny to some,but i think the idea of wearing a life jacket at a dangerous rock fishing spot,could ideally one day save another life,well thats my 2cents.

I agree with you on that simple and easy.. :thumbup:

i can tell you guys from 20 years experiance off rock fishing there no way i would wear a life jacket

wearing a life jacket means you can't dive under breaking waves and swimming is also impaired

golden rule off the stones is unless your a strong swimmer in surf conditions do'nt go rock fishing

most people lose the lives trying to clamber back up onto the rockes after getting washed in and get smashed

gary

i can tell you guys from 20 years experiance off rock fishing there no way i would wear a life jacket

wearing a life jacket means you can't dive under breaking waves and swimming is also impaired

golden rule off the stones is unless your a strong swimmer in surf conditions do'nt go rock fishing

most people lose the lives trying to clamber back up onto the rockes after getting washed in and get smashed

gary

I kind of thought there would be a disadvantage to it,cheers for the input mate,i guess it could be used for those that are not strong swimmers at all perhaps....on the fishing and acquaculture site its on the recommendation list to wear one,it does not directly say to who exactly,but id suppose there talking about all rock fisherman in general for there own safety.

A predictive model or study can't read a fishermans mind, more money wasted on useless studies imo.

Cheers,

Leo

Lots of money seems to be spent paying lots of 'consultants'... Did they think to ask the real experts? Like Angling clubs maybe?

Bit like the spit bridge saga......... it keeps someone in work i suppose.

Dave

The only I've worn my life jacket at a spot I knew was a bit dangerous, eventually I woke up to myself that that I shouldn't fish there ever, even wearing a jacket and wetsuit. That life jacket actually saved my life in a canoeing accident but is no substitute for that thing between your ears.

It was quite interesting to visit WA last year and see people tieing themselves to the rocks, this is definitely the way to go cliff fishing although you'd look pretty stupid doing it over here and your mates would rib you till you had to go home .

gary

Not sure if I entirely agree with you there Gary. While I definitely see your point about a life jacket stopping you diving under waves I think on the balance they would probably help. Chances are if you end up in the water you might be injured off the rocks so even if you are a strong swimmer it might be hard work. And although a life jacket will impair your swimming, it does mean you don't have to work at keeping afloat which could be appreciated on a long swim to shore.

That said, I entirely agree with your comment about people getting hurt or worse trying to clamber up onto the rocks. I haven't been unfortunate enough to take a spell in the drink but I think if it happened I'd be heading for the nearest beach if possible to get dry...

I think the thing that people who are thinking about doing a spot of rock fishing need to know is that it's only really as dangerous as the conditions you fish in. The first point of safety is to check out where you're fishing, the swell size and direction, wind and tide and then decide if it's safe. Then observe before fishing. If this is done properly then chances are any of the other safety gear will never be needed (which is ideal).

What would be nice is to maybe get a thread going giving some tips about rock fishing safety for newbies to the sport. With the likes of Gary and his experience, along with countless other raiders, it might be an easy way for someone to find out what they need to know to keep safe. The info is there at the moment, but it seems fragmented.

That's my rant for the week, hope there's plenty of tight lines for the long weekend!

A.

I'd just add the point that rock fishers who get washed into the water are usually clothed, unless there's an extreme sport of nude fishing that I don't know about :1prop: . Wet clothes weigh you down and restrict your movements no matter how good a swimmer you are.

Best solution is to educate people to the dangers and this is being provided in the languages of those who are strongly represented in the fatalities. This site has all the information you need to keep safe when rock fishing including the purpose of angel rings and wearing life jackets.

Grew up rock fishin most weekends with my dad and I quickly learnt to respect the conditions. Its definitely not worth your life and the lives of your loved ones.

Cheers.

Edited by royboy

starting a topic on the does and do'nt with rockfishing is a good idea but may have some legal ramifercations

and the owners off this site may not wish to go down that path

i've fished all the worst spots when i was young and stupid and thought i was invincable once i had kids there was to much to loose

just for the record i used to fish in a steamer wetty with slip on sandles with cleets

cherrs gary

• 2 years later...

Anecdotally a lot of deaths are due to people who can't physically swim.

You see their friends regularly starring in Bondi Rescue. A lot of times the media will dramatise the swell even if they just slipped on a rock and fell in. I don't for one second deny bad conditions claim many lives just emphasising that if you can't swim be careful on rocks or near deep water if you fall.

It's frustrating to see people die when a buoyancy vest would have saved them. Nearly as frustrating as bike, skate.., scooter riders with no helmets on.

starting a topic on the does and do'nt with rockfishing is a good idea but may have some legal ramifercations

and the owners off this site may not wish to go down that path

i've fished all the worst spots when i was young and stupid and thought i was invincable once i had kids there was to much to loose

just for the record i used to fish in a steamer wetty with slip on sandles with cleets

cherrs gary

Same legal ramifications as putting up maps and details of how to get into the worst fishing spots along the coast in sydney. Putting spots up is the same as discussing safety in this thread. There seems to be a misconception that all members are cluey as to how to rock fish, but how many members of this site actually post here, or just read to find out where locations are and go there to fish with no prior experience on the rocks?

Re lifejackets - if its rough enough to warrent when fishing landbased, you shouldnt be fishing that spot. They give some people a false sense of security . Jacket or not you can still drown.

Any modelling that can be read 'in conjunction' with actual marine conditions helps.

Edited by caranx