Technical Advice

Evan Spary

Guest Jocool

I got a Question!

I have 2 old Jupiter rear drag reels. Are spares still available for them? I need to replace the drag washers...felts and metals....and I need a body for one of them as the clip retainer that holds the drag in place is broken! :badair:

Hi Evan,

Thanks for the quick reply. Lanox is virtually the same as Inox, ie a light lanolin base lubricant with similar viscosity to WD40.

I have a further question regarding lubrication of bearings. Do you use grease or oil on the larger bearings (such as the rotor bearing)?

Cheers,

Jeff

Joe, PM me the exact reel models. Should be something like JS2550 or JX3550 etc.. Most of those parts are still available, if not, in drags we can usually find something that will fit.

I got a Question!

I have 2 old Jupiter rear drag reels. Are spares still available for them? I need to replace the drag washers...felts and metals....and I need a body for one of them as the clip retainer that holds the drag in place is broken! :badair:

41214[/snapback]

G'Day Jeff

If its similar to Inox your on a winner.

In sealed (metal ring enclosing the face of the bearing) bearings for reels there are generally 2 types. Oil spec bearings and grease spec bearings. An oil spec bearing comes from the manufacture filled with oil. It allows for an extremely free spinning bearing, excellent for casting applications. The two or three bearings on Daiwa casting overheads that support the spool are generally oil spec. The only down side to these bearings is that they are not as corrisive resistant as grease spec bearings.

Grease spec as their name suggests are bearings packed with grease. Offering a higher level of protection but it slows the spinning of the bearing.

All open bearings (you can see the little balls) are grease spec.

If the rotor bearing is open faced pack it with a light grease. If it is sealed there is generally no chance of getting a helpful quantity of grease in. I will generally put a few drops of oil on them and let it soak in.

Evan

Hi Evan,

Thanks for the quick reply. Lanox is virtually the same as Inox, ie a light lanolin base lubricant with similar viscosity to WD40.

I have a further question regarding lubrication of bearings. Do you use grease or oil on the larger bearings (such as the rotor bearing)?

Cheers,

Jeff

41484[/snapback]

Hi Evan,

Just a query, have you heard of or used a product called "Salt X"

A mate has a spray bottle of this and uses it to spray down rods and reels after use in saltwater.

The blurb on the bottle says that it "neutralises the salt. " as used by the Armed forces etc.

Just wondering if it is any good,

Regards POGO

G'Day Pogo

I havent had any personal experience with it but it certainly looks good.

I have been meaning to get some to try it out but havent come across any yet in my travels.

As soon as i have tried some i will let you know.

Evan

Hi Evan,

Just a query, have you heard of or used a product called "Salt X"

A mate has a spray bottle of this and uses it to spray down rods and reels after use in saltwater.

The blurb on the bottle says that it "neutralises the salt. "  as used by the Armed forces etc.

Just wondering  if it is any good,

Regards POGO

41777[/snapback]

Thanks Evan,

My mates gear looks pretty good and the few times hes used it on mine it seems to have worked. We even put some on the used hooks and lures and I put some aside to keep an eye on them and they look fine. He got his at the boat show

I think Ken might have to fit you up a forum thread all of your own, your getting plenty of questions and heaps of hits.

Regards POGO

G'Day Joe

We are bringing in couple of extra cans. They will be in the 2kg size. Its still alot of grease, on average around 500 reel services per can.

Retail will be around $80 - $90 per can and like our spares available to the general public.

Evan

Evan...How much??? :thumbup:

I think if Fishraiders chip in, we can all have our own supply by sharing the tin! :biggrin2:

41014[/snapback]

Guest Jocool

Evan...Not sure if you got my PM...So I will list the parts I was after here!

The following part numbers are what I require:

6W006503 Body Assembly (1)

6W000201 Drag Washer (2...for 2 reels)

6W000401 Eared Washer (6...3 per reel) Are these the felt washers?

I don't think I need to replace the metal washers at this stage, or is it advisable I do so? If you suggest they be changed then I will require

6W000501 Key Washer A (4...2 per reel)

6W000601 Key Washer B (2...1 per reel)

Could you please advise the availability of these parts, and their cost. What oil, if any, should I use on the felt washers?

Cheers mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe I PM you the prices a while ago. I will resend for you.

Evan

Evan...Not sure if you got my PM...So I will list the parts I was after here!

The following part numbers are what I require:

6W006503 Body Assembly (1)

6W000201 Drag Washer (2...for 2 reels)

6W000401 Eared Washer (6...3 per reel) Are these the felt washers?

I don't think I need to replace the metal washers at this stage, or is it advisable I do so? If you suggest they be changed then I will require

6W000501 Key Washer A (4...2 per reel)

6W000601 Key Washer B (2...1 per reel)

Could you please advise the availability of these parts, and their cost. What oil, if any, should I use on the felt washers?

Cheers mate.

43858[/snapback]

hi fella's some good advise here and now some for you guys who talk about spending 50 dollars on a reel is a cheapo it might be for you guys but let me tell you for me or anne to buy a 50 dollar cheapo real we have to save up for 2 to 3 months as we r on a pension so u guys who spend big on gear good on you all and i am happy for you all but spare a thought for others who cant afford such things i to had trouble with a samauri reel saved for 6 months bought a squidgy spin stick and the diawa now still using the stick but real is :ranting2:

and rang diawa up and they said yeah not as goo as our top line reals

thats after sale service for you.

if they wont last you should be told look mate it not a bad real but u will be lucky if you get 12 months out of it or oh yeah i better tell you before you purchase this real the spool will corode in salt water

well thats my bitching done :074:

regards geoff