Squid Fishing Leaders

slayer666

G'day Joe, i think we give the humble squid too much credit. Any old leader will do the job. In saying that, we mainly use flourocarbon between 12 and 16lb in order to avoid losing jigs to weed, rocks etc. You need enough strength to straighten the prongs.

There was one time where we had a jig rigged on 40lb pink Ande leader and it took most of the squid that day......strange???? I think there are more important fators such as jig size, colour, sink rate, retrieve style.

Cheers

Red

I usually fish anywhere between 4lb and 8lb leaders on squid...

But as others have mentioned, i don;t think they are that fussy/finesse not such an issue...

All depends the areas you're fishing for them... if there are just weedbeds, and no rocks about you should be fine.. i've lost a few jigs in the rocks on 8lb... If fishing near the rocks, I wouldn't tie directly to the jig...

My two cents..

:1fishing1:

AJ

I usually tie my braid straight onto the jig. Yozuris are finely balanced and heavy leader upsets their balance and they dont work so well. I dont seem to hv trouble with the squid seeing (or not) the braid - I use 6 kg black or yellow

i also have found that ive been able to get squid regularly without any leader.

just tie my braid straight onto the jig.

im more curious about what knots everyone uses to tie braid to their jigs?

i personally use the half blood, i find thought it slips pretty easily..

I always use flouro leader, 10 lbs to match my mainline. Been using Linesystem, now use the pinkish Sunline Egi-Leader. Very supple..... I don't believe flouro leader affects the jigs balance, as all the good ones dive at a 45 degree angle

Squid aren't genius', but not stupid either. Sure you'll catch some with braid straight to the jig, but I believe that you'll get more if the jig 'looks' natural.

I've also notice that if you pull a few from a school, they wise up to jig and stop biting. Change colour, and they start again, so they're not that silly after all.......

Cheers,

Pat