Requirements For Offshore Fishing

framedtrash

ive had a look around the net and i think i have all the correct gear

is there any thing else im missing i want to make sure im as safe as possbile and no chance of getting fined

type 1 life jackets for each person

2ltr water for each person

flares

epirb

marine radio

compass

charts

oars

horn

torch

vsheet

buckets

first aid kit

is there any thing else im missing ?

ive had a look around the net and i think i have all the correct gear

is there any thing else im missing i want to make sure im as safe as possbile and no chance of getting fined

type 1 life jackets for each person

2ltr water for each person

flares

epirb

marine radio

compass

charts

oars

horn

torch

vsheet

buckets

first aid kit

is there any thing else im missing ?

I always carry spare fuse,hydraulic oil {steering}

and a hot and cold running BLONDE.

I always carry spare fuse,hydraulic oil {steering}

and a hot and cold running BLONDE.

rickb,

We have found that in situations at sea, where the BLONDE has begun to misfire you must act quickly. Immediately deploy the emergency stash of Red Bull, beer (Corona most effective), chocolate bicuits or assorted glucose lollies (the brighter the colour the better). If this is done successfully before the whining sound starts, the fishing trip can still be saved. Failure to deploy these essential safety items in the required time can lead to overheating and in more serious cases, end of fishing due to a blown head gasket and a broken rod.

Framed Trash,

I had trouble downloading the maritime pdf file but I believe you are meant to have a hardcopy of the chart of the area where you are as well, GPS doesn't count. I think you can get these charts from most major boating stores and probably some fishing stores and it would probably be a good idea to somehow protect it from water. eg plastic coating or at least a water tight bag.

The stuff i'm about to mention is not necessarily part of any laws but it is stuff i take anyway and somehow fit it in a 15ft halfcab with all my fishing gear. I also take all of the compulsory stuff as mentioned in this thread.

I always take a full spare set of clothes, thermals, jumper, shorts, shirt, towell etc. and no matter what the conditions are i always take full wet weathers because conditions can change and also in case someone gets soaking wet or cold for whatever reason. I keep this stuff in a bag, up in the cabin so it stays dry.

I now also always carry a pair of wetsuit booties for unpleasant situations like pushing the boat off sand bars or oyster covered rocks etc.

Other items include Mask and Snorkel, Gloves and a pair of boardies so i dont need to get my fishing clothes wet. Different sized cable ties, gaffa tape and duct tape, spare torch batteries, cigarette lighters, whistle, rechargeable air horn, mannual bilge pump, spare anchors, extra anchor rope, spare shackles, sea anchor, Inox, Spare Oil and small Jerry can with fuel.

My mates used to ask me why i always take so much junk and my reply is always "one day we might need it" and since then unfortunately we have used every single random item mentioned in my post due to different incidents over the years. So now they let me take whatever i want.

Good luck

rickb,

We have found that in situations at sea, where the BLONDE has begun to misfire you must act quickly. Immediately deploy the emergency stash of Red Bull, beer (Corona most effective), chocolate bicuits or assorted glucose lollies (the brighter the colour the better). If this is done successfully before the whining sound starts, the fishing trip can still be saved. Failure to deploy these essential safety items in the required time can lead to overheating and in more serious cases, end of fishing due to a blown head gasket and a broken rod.

Framed Trash,

I had trouble downloading the maritime pdf file but I believe you are meant to have a hardcopy of the chart of the area where you are as well, GPS doesn't count. I think you can get these charts from most major boating stores and probably some fishing stores and it would probably be a good idea to somehow protect it from water. eg plastic coating or at least a water tight bag.

The stuff i'm about to mention is not necessarily part of any laws but it is stuff i take anyway and somehow fit it in a 15ft halfcab with all my fishing gear. I also take all of the compulsory stuff as mentioned in this thread.

I always take a full spare set of clothes, thermals, jumper, shorts, shirt, towell etc. and no matter what the conditions are i always take full wet weathers because conditions can change and also in case someone gets soaking wet or cold for whatever reason. I keep this stuff in a bag, up in the cabin so it stays dry.

I now also always carry a pair of wetsuit booties for unpleasant situations like pushing the boat off sand bars or oyster covered rocks etc.

Other items include Mask and Snorkel, Gloves and a pair of boardies so i dont need to get my fishing clothes wet. Different sized cable ties, gaffa tape and duct tape, spare torch batteries, cigarette lighters, whistle, rechargeable air horn, mannual bilge pump, spare anchors, extra anchor rope, spare shackles, sea anchor, Inox, Spare Oil and small Jerry can with fuel.

My mates used to ask me why i always take so much junk and my reply is always "one day we might need it" and since then unfortunately we have used every single random item mentioned in my post due to different incidents over the years. So now they let me take whatever i want.

Good luck

Captain Spanner, I see you have had a run in with the hot and cold.

Mate it won't be long,before we have to tow a tarped rubber duckie behind to fit all our gear in. These nights I even take my sleeping bag,must be getting 2 bloody old.

cheers.

a complete spare fuel line imo is a good idea....or at least a spare primer bulb as they perish in the sun quite easily and can get overlooked in a service...a good rip chord for the outboard definitely.... spare battery terminals are handy in tool box as well as wd 40,aero start is good stuff (esp if ur old tech motor)a length of normal electrical wire can save the day.... (my bits and pieces box is quite large as well but comes in handy every now and then)....in the car these days i have spare wheel bearings,winch handle,a jack that will do the trailer and the tools to fix all the above! the list goes on......to state the obvious a well maintained boat and trailer is the key to not ever using most of the above items.....happy boating....

Nothing.... in the pic under the (B1) section is says "a bailer/bucket to be carried where no bilge pump required.Note that a fire bucket can double as a bailer."

Trying to confuse people i guess.... LMAO

Yes , I agree , the list is not as simple as it first apears,

The other point that has been omitted , the check list advises "Water , 2lt" which suggests 2lt in total.

In fact it is 2lt per head.

Geoff

While we're on the subject. Whats the go with the "sound signal"?

Will a little plastic whistle like the ones that come with the lifejackets do?

shaune,

I'm not sure what particular whistle is on your lifejackets but I've heard (not from maritime and have not seen it written anywhere) that it has to be a "pealess" whistle. Which means that it can't have the little rattly ball like the paper boy's whistle. I have a couple of "nautical whistles" in my boat glove box that are just little orange plastic things that cost about 2 bucks each from a boating store.

i wonder if my fingers count as a whistle

alot louder then the ones you buy from shops

but i guess i cant give my fingers to some one else in case of a emergency

ha

Framedtrash,

I'm not speaking from experience but i would imagine if a Maritime or Water Police Officer asked to see your whistle and you held up your finger it may result in a fine. Which is silly because it would hopefully be alot harder to lose or drop your finger overboard wouldn't it.

shaune,

I'm not sure what particular whistle is on your lifejackets but I've heard (not from maritime and have not seen it written anywhere) that it has to be a "pealess" whistle. Which means that it can't have the little rattly ball like the paper boy's whistle. I have a couple of "nautical whistles" in my boat glove box that are just little orange plastic things that cost about 2 bucks each from a boating store.

Thanks Captain

Yes it is the pealess type.

As long as I avoid a fine I'm happy.

That Maritime website leaves a lot to be desired.

You'd think it would give a desciption of something that is manditory.

And while I'm having a winge , the pdf charts on the website are locked in a way that you can't print them.

They force us to have them and we pay our taxes and fees , so why can't we print and laminate them ourselves if we want.

I'm just sick of throwing money at my boat and on things that I won't use and will just clutter it up.

EDIT

I've just noticed they are only $6 each off the website.

But still its the principle of it.

Edited by shaune

Thanks Captain

And while I'm having a winge , the pdf charts on the website are locked in a way that you can't print them.

They force us to have them and we pay our taxes and fees , so why can't we print and laminate them ourselves if we want.

I'm just sick of throwing money at my boat and on things that I won't use and will just clutter it up.

EDIT

Do they qualify as a "chart" in regards to safety equipment??? Especillly if you are just ducking out the heads but staying within 2 miles?

Found this on the Maritime Costal Boating Map (9-10) Broken Bay to Garie Beach.

Seems to apply for the Costal Maps only so its most likely that you can get fined if you venture

outside with one of the Maritime Boating Maps.

I`ll buy the AUS Chart 197 - Approaches to Port Jackson Port Hacking, just to be safe.

Cheers

Glen

post-7314-1255953575_thumb.jpg

Thanks Captain

EDIT

just open the map on your computer and press print screen on your keyboard then just paste it into something like word or paint

then you will be able to print it out

if ya want PM me the link to the map you want and I'll convert it for ya

just open the map on your computer and press print screen on your keyboard then just paste it into something like word or paint

then you will be able to print it out

if ya want PM me the link to the map you want and I'll convert it for ya

Or just your good friend google and search for a 'free pdf unlocker' ;)