Changing From Bait To Lures!

reeseman

Hey guys,

first off im a mad fisherman, every second i get a chance im throwing a line in the water. Alot of my family were professional fisherman, and some of my earliest memories are about me off fishing with my old man. However everytime we fish we use bait, its just how we have always done things since before i can remember. Im really keen on fishing with plastics and HB's, but am finding it hard to really change over to the lures. I try to use plastics and Hard bodies and do have some success now and then, but i tend to always fall back on using bait. I have found that my success with bait is alot higher than with lures but im putting that down to more experience with bait. If anyone would be able to give me some tips on how to improve my chances with lures it would be a massive help. My usual fishing situations are from land, i have fished in wollongong, bundeena, budgewoi, and nelson bay is my all time favourate place.

P.S. advice on tackle and tactics might also help incase im getting it wrong.

Thanks to anyone who responds.

Regards Reese.

hey mate, what type of water are you normally fishing, i dont really know those areas you mentioned but is it estuary or off the rocks etc etc also what are you targetting? If i were you I would target flathead to begin with as they are one of the easiest fish to catch on placcies. Hopefully someone like Hodgey replies here to give you some more tips but I would start with an 8lb flouro leader and either gulp 3 or 4in minnows in pumpkin seed or a squidgy wriggler in bloodworm any size.

You want to use a jig head that is heavy enough to keep the lure on the bottom. Retrieves that i find work on flatties are either 3 quick jerks (but its all in the wrist) lifting the rod from 3 to 12 and then letting the lure sink to the bottom again, pause and repeat. Alternatively slow lifts and pauses also work. Good luck mate, persaverance pays off so stick at it.

You have to think different when it comes to lures vs bait

In a broad sense bait fishing is laying a berley trail and fishing your baits in it bringing the fish to you and lure fishing is about constantly moving and casting your lure into spots where you think a fish may be searching out the fish as opposed to bringing them to you

GDay mate

Tip #1: Leave your bait at home and have a couple of 'lure only' sessions

Tip #2: Initially, use plastics and HBs in the warmer months, when the fish tend to be more active

Tip #3: As suggested by Dicko, start out chasing flathead. They are a good fish to learn your craft on, and a lot of the principles you will learn can be used on other fish such as bream, whiting, jewies etc

All you need is one productive session with the lures and your confidence will soar ;) A typical outfit would be something like a 7' rod, a 2000 sized reel loaded with 4-6lb braid and a flurocarbon leader 6-10lb. There are dozens of successful lure fisho on this site, and many of them include tackle and technique information in their reports. Make yourself comfortable, and have a look through the many Lure and Fly Fishing reports.

Here are some comprehensive articles to get you started:

Soft plastics for bream and flathead

Techniques

Lure fishing can be a little frustrating at times, but can also be VERY rewarding :thumbup: Good luck!

Cheers

Hodgey

Hey guys,

just wanted to thanks for all the helpful hints you have given me. I think leaving the bait at home for a few sessions is a top idea, it will stop me from falling back on bait. As soon as i get a chance i'll get out on the water and let you guys know how it went. Much appreciated guys!

Regards Reese

GDay mate

Tip #1: Leave your bait at home and have a couple of 'lure only' sessions

Tip #2: Initially, use plastics and HBs in the warmer months, when the fish tend to be more active

Tip #3: As suggested by Dicko, start out chasing flathead. They are a good fish to learn your craft on, and a lot of the principles you will learn can be used on other fish such as bream, whiting, jewies etc

All you need is one productive session with the lures and your confidence will soar ;) A typical outfit would be something like a 7' rod, a 2000 sized reel loaded with 4-6lb braid and a flurocarbon leader 6-10lb. There are dozens of successful lure fisho on this site, and many of them include tackle and technique information in their reports. Make yourself comfortable, and have a look through the many Lure and Fly Fishing reports.

Here are some comprehensive articles to get you started:

Soft plastics for bream and flathead

Techniques

Lure fishing can be a little frustrating at times, but can also be VERY rewarding :thumbup: Good luck!

Cheers

Hodgey

SPOT ON!

Especially tip 1.

Hodgeys advice is spot on (as usual)

Flathead are suckers for any lure that bumps along the bottom (realy)

Once they pounce they have in fact given away their hiding spot, and 9 times out of ten they won’t be satisfied until the lure is down their gob

The biggest major difference with lure fishing is that YOU are finding the fish, not the other way around, and maybe that is why it is so satisfying.

Think of these three steps:

1. Choose correct tackle and lures for the fish you expect to catch (your raider mates will help you here)

2. Find the fish that are actively feeding (drop offs, weedbeds, EDGES with baitfish present)

3. Present you lure is the most realistic manner to get those fish to strike (Slow, hopping with always contact at the bottom)

Confidence is always important, so don’t flog a dead horse, move to a different spot, change lures, pick the best time or tide.

Remember you are lure fishing so cover lots of ground and give your lure every opportunity to be eaten

Good

Luck

bm

Reese,

I can only endorse the other Raiders comments. The articles that Hodgey linked to were the first I ever read on soft plastic fishing and are incredibly informative. I've only been into lures (and fishing in general) for a couple of years and catching a fish on a lure is a great buzz. What I love about using lures is that you're always actively involved - either thinking about how you're retrieving the lure, or deciding what shape or colour to use, rather than just sticking a bait on a hook and throwing it out. If you're looking for some more reading, I found two books really informative - On Soft Plastics and How To Use Them (Steve Starling and Kaj Busch) and The Book of Lures (Ron Calcutt and Tim Simpson).

Cheers

Reese,

I can only endorse the other Raiders comments. The articles that Hodgey linked to were the first I ever read on soft plastic fishing and are incredibly informative. I've only been into lures (and fishing in general) for a couple of years and catching a fish on a lure is a great buzz. What I love about using lures is that you're always actively involved - either thinking about how you're retrieving the lure, or deciding what shape or colour to use, rather than just sticking a bait on a hook and throwing it out. If you're looking for some more reading, I found two books really informative - On Soft Plastics and How To Use Them (Steve Starling and Kaj Busch) and The Book of Lures (Ron Calcutt and Tim Simpson).

Cheers

Thanks for that mate! i always liked reading so i'll definately will give those two a look at, Cheers!

Hi Reese -

Just want to backup what iceman said. You need to take your lures to the fish, so move around, think about structure etc.

Lots of bait converts tend to repeat cast to the same stretch of water. If you are not getting interest move around. If you are getting interest but not hook ups try changing lures / technique/ leader/jig head weight etc.

If landbased as you say put in some short casts infront & to either side of where you are standing then wade in and try longer casts, then move back and along your path and repeat the process - the idea is to cover water or prospect for fish. Also think about using blades to investigate that area a bit further out than than the range of softies and hardbodies

Movement & change are the key to finding & hooking fish (landbased) on lures IMO.

Good luck

Cheers BloodKnot

Hey Reece,

Its amazing what others will share on this site. To add my bit I grew up fishing with Mr Twister double and single tails in the same areas you mention. Plastics have come a long way since then. Try near the mouth at Lake Illawarra ( Southern side used to be best ) , The basin at the back of Bundenna ( Between Bundenna and Mainbar ) is unreal. Fishermans Bay at Mainbar and when the tide drops the channel behind the ballast heap ( Mainbar again. Try the Entrance channel on the Central Coast and at Nelson Bay, Between the signs at Little Beach or just walk Shoal Bay Beach. Good luck with it.

4D On Strike.

Hey Reece,

Its amazing what others will share on this site. To add my bit I grew up fishing with Mr Twister double and single tails in the same areas you mention. Plastics have come a long way since then. Try near the mouth at Lake Illawarra ( Southern side used to be best ) , The basin at the back of Bundenna ( Between Bundenna and Mainbar ) is unreal. Fishermans Bay at Mainbar and when the tide drops the channel behind the ballast heap ( Mainbar again. Try the Entrance channel on the Central Coast and at Nelson Bay, Between the signs at Little Beach or just walk Shoal Bay Beach. Good luck with it.

4D On Strike.

:thumbup: thanks for that, my first ever fish on plastics was a 2kg flattie between the signs at little beach so i know where your talking about, that was 2 years ago though and i havnt caught anything worth talking about since then. I cant believe how helpful everyone is on this site, its given me so much info on how to do things, i cant wait till i can get on the water and throw up a few pics!

Edited by reeseman

Hey guys went to Gerroa yesterday, and took the advice i was given, didnt catch anything but i moved around heaps, i was shocked to see this huge flat head chasing after my plastic. i thought they just sat on the bottom and hit whatever came by, this one was close to the surface as i was realing the line in fast to bring it in. My mate and me tried the area for another 20 mins changing lures and retreive techniques but it wasnt interested. After that we thought we'd give Bellambi a go, so the plastics were swimming again, we thought my mate had something for a bit but realised this good sized calamari was hitting his plastic. We changed over to the squid jigs and ended up with 15 of the things, so i thought it was a pretty top day out. After watching the big flattie go mental for the plastic its kinda gotten me really interested in lure fishing for them, when fishing baits ive never seen a flattie charge at the bait, so it was great watching it happen. Thanks for all the help guys, im counting down the days until i can get back out on the water.

Well done Reese on the Calamari/squiddies ...... just as well you had some squid jigs with you! :D I have had big ones chase my sp but haven't managed to hook one yet! I keep forgetting to put the squid jigs in my yak tho! :wacko:

I agree with all the previous advice given so freely by the other FR ....... and DEFINITELY don't take bait out with you!

My fav SP for flatties is the 80 - 100mm Squidgy Silver Fox with a Mr Twister jig head on it. I often fish water that is less than 1m deep (especially around the leases) and find the flatties will aggressively attack the sp - sometimes even launching themselves out of the water as I retrieve the lure closer to the yak, trying to grab it! It can really give you a fright!! You are right - when they want to, they can move VERY FAST! The bigger flatties are often 'sunning themselves' in the shallow water, so don't be afraid to chuck your lures there as well!

Think of the water in front of you as a clock - toss a cast at 'every hour' of the clock. Longish casts, retrieved all the way back to you with regular jerks & pauses should get a hit! If you get a hit & miss, chuck it over that area a few more times, or make a mental note where the 'hit' was & go back to it after 20 mins & try it again. They usually 'settle' fairly close to where they 'hit' you the last time!

I often chuck my sps towards any structure as well (eg single poles or along the fences of leases, or better still, between the leases if you can access them!) In the yak, I easily get into the racks :D

Stick with it, you'll end up using nothing else!!! I helped a yakking buddy the other weekend into his first HB Top Water lure fish as well & that was fun, tho frustrating for him at times ......... with the HBs, when you feel the fish 'tapping' the lure, just pause the lure & it will usually get grabbed on the next 'tap'!!

GOod luck - look forward to hearing regular successful reports soon!

Cheerio

Roberta

reeseman - don't be afraid to invest a little of your hard earned into a estuary charter....there are some really ones good around....go out for a day with one and he will teach you technique, appropraite plastics for conditions and fish, spots to look for and best of all you'll catch fish.........

Edited by Poddy Trapper

• 2 months later...

Got a few really small taylor on plastics under mooney mooney a few days ago. This sunday im heading up to budgewoi for a few days to see if i can land anything worth bragging about on plastics and hard boddies. So after i come back i will let everyone know how i did.

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys i finally broke the drought!!!

went down to budegwoi a month ago and picked up 3 nice flathead in about 30 mins. was using a black and red squidgie fish 3 inch. threw in a pic so i could show everyone. Thanks for all the advice guys i appreciate it.

Regards Reeseman

Edited by reeseman

went down to budegwoi a month ago and picked up 3 nice flathead in about 30 mins. was using a black and red squidgie fish 3 inch. threw in a pic so i could show everyone. Thanks for all the advice guys i appreciate it.

Regards Reeseman

Regards Reeseman

Great stuff Reeseman :thumbup:

Keep it up, you will find once you have some confidence in the lures / plastics that your fishing with them will improve.

John

hahaha cheers mate was a great feeling too, i was in shock just 3 one after the other, now i just have to figure out how to put the damn pic up

figured it out pic size was too large or something. Cant wait to go out and get a few more. btw heres a pic of my mate with his bloody jewie. smart ass woke me up at midnight to tell me about it, went 20kg.

post-9542-1265107348_thumb.jpg

post-9542-1265107647_thumb.jpg

Yeah dad was telling my mate and me about you,

said you catch some alright stuff. I need to get out on the water more often i reckon but between uni and work i got no time.

Cheers mate.

Edited by reeseman

Hey Stewy,

Reese told me about the site so decided to join!! Heard everyone puts the jewies in the bath tub haha cause its the only place to put em i suppose. Was definately a great fish on 20lb mono on a tailer setup! Took 250 yards of line out before it tired.

Just an intro to myself; Reese basically explained our fishing obssession. Been fishing since i could hold a rod with dad at lake budgewoi. Since then the knowledge and know how has grown and the addiction is always apparent (Even wrote my uni thesis on it) :1fishing1:

When we get the chance we're off either in the estuaries, beach, rocks or in the runabout. I believe it is the best time spent away from work and the everday life. As reese mentioned we are experimenting with soft plastics and HB's and are definately succeeding. Although i do love the session of bait fishing in target of big predatory fish, like the jewie.

I will definately put up some updates and snap shots of the fish caught along with experiences on the water as i know there are always interesting fishing tales among other fishers. Been reading through some posts and you guys have helpful hints, as you all know you may think you know alot about fishing but there is always something to learn.

Look forward to future posts!

Dom

post-12521-1265187601_thumb.jpgpost-12521-1265187627_thumb.jpg