New Botany Ramp

Penguin

Location- Foreshore rd, Botany

Condition/Access-Brand new 4 lane ramp, Good

Parking/Facilities-Lots of parking bays, semi enclosed fish

cleaning room, and two engine flush bays,

Toilet facilities nearing completion at this time.

Temp Port-a-loo on site now.

Fish cleaning facility

post-1664-1257933648_thumb.jpg

Ramp as viewed form carpark.

post-1664-1257933670_thumb.jpg

Ramp as viewed from the water.

post-1664-1257933691_thumb.jpg

Edited by penguin

Is it just me or does that ramp look like its gonna be a problem in summer?

Think about it.. Lots of boats going in and out and theres only very little space between the floating whalfs :wacko:

If your boats over 6 meter forget about that ramp i would think ..

I dont know, Maybe its just me,

Other peoples options ?

Think about it.. Lots of boats going in and out and theres only very little space between the floating whalfs :wacko:

Other peoples options ?

I visted the ramp today and thought the same thing ? I watched a 5.6 metre and a 7 metre boat side by side in the centre ramp and there wasn't much room .... If only they had made it alot wider ... Good luck reversing your boat all the way out when windy and other boats tied along the walkway.... I can see alot of fun days there on a weekend......

Original Pic of Ramp and how it could have Been , Im sure it would not cost that much to change if its labelled a bit of a hazzard... Whats your views ?

post-692-1258029416_thumb.jpg post-692-1258029483_thumb.jpg

Top Pics Penguin... Cleaning table looks Space age..

Cheer Dogtooth.... :1fishing1: John... :beersmile:

Edited by dogtooth

By the look of these narrow lanes and all those other obstacles, and going on the fact that Foreshore Road is not only the closest boat ramp for boaties living in the South Eastern Suburbs, it's also the closest boat ramp for larger trailer boats travelling from practically anywhere wanting to go outside thru Botany Heads, and it is also the closest boat ramp to the bait grounds...

Anyone launching at Foreshore Road regularly or excusively particularly on the weekends, should seriously consider having a couple of those small white ribbed style fenders (they only cost around $12.00 each), permanently attached to their boat rails or cleats on each side of their boat and tied up and wedged under rails etc where they're out of the way - If the wind does happen to come up in Botany Bay, the bay can turn very nasty very quickly and at least the fenders would be ready to be dropped on the pull of a rope while battling to get back in .....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Im not a fan of the new boat ramp, I was looking forward to it but now im having second thoughts about taking my boat there . Its bad enough at kyeemah where people dont give a toss about your boat and ram it, they cant wait 10min to get your trailer. Yeah its gonna be good times ahead, insurance company's are gonna be busy.

gday all,

i too have been watching this ramp. looks beautiful with great facilities, but i think i'll stay well clear of it on weekends. i think that it will be to congested with people wanting to launch and retrieve at the same time. (ramp rage central) being a shift worker tho i cant wait for some mid week time at this ramp.

Went there tonight guys. Ramp and facilitys show alot of potential. There would be more than 100 parking spots specifically for car+trailer, which should hopefully ease up congestion at Kyeemah. Five lanes to get set up. They should have made the lanes wider as other comments passed are true, certainly will be a tight squeeze at time. Could work well if people take their boats down as far as possible down the jetty so it makes it easier for the next person lined up. Washing/flushing facilities would be a bonus.

Other peoples options ?

I understand that Sydney Ports Authority are aware of issues with the ramp & there is to be a meeting , at the ramp , this week , to dicuss what can be changed to improve the facility

Geoff

Was at the new ramp on Saturday - lots of parking and great looking fish cleaning area.

The washing facilities set away from the busy launch / retrieve area. Look at the end of the the row of car/trailer parking bays at the Foreshore Drive end for them.

Must admit that I am not used to this type of ramp and long floating wharf arrangement. I have a tiller steer tinnie that I need to pull down the floating wharf to the ramp to get back onto the trailer. What do I do if there are boats that have been launched at the same ramp, ready to go out but are still tied up at the walkway? There's no issue in the mornings when the direction of flow is predominantly outwards but I see potential for confusion, hold-ups and angry boaters mid-morning onwards when there's two way traffic at the floating wharf.

Perhaps designated launch and retrieve ramps and their associated floating wharves?

Perhaps shorter wharves and a separate jetty to tie your boat off? Other ramps I normally go to have a queueing system based on your trailer in the queue waiting to launch/retrieve. These long wharves imply a linear queueing arrangement based on boats in the queue I feel.

I do think that increasing the spacing between the two floating wharves by putting a kink in the wharf closest to the breakwall to form a sort of Z shape will improve matters, allowing boats more manouvering space overall and maybe breaking the implied 'boat' queue.

The ramp seems to be designed for the perfect world where everyone drives on and of their trailers and where everyone is curteous and has common sense.

(Something that goes missing at boat ramps)

I wonder who designed it or who was consulted.

Maybe some information signs detailing some rules could help everyone to be on the same page because a lot of problems at boat ramps are caused by ignorance.

Well done to council/the port authorities for building the facilities for fishos. The narrow space between the 2 floating wharves can be easily overcomed by designating one ramp a launching ramp and the other a retrieving ramp hence boats need not bump into each other and it would be a more time efficient way of launching and retrieving. Boats launching would tie their boats off at the first vacant space furthest from the ramp so as to allow the next person launching easier and safer passage.Retrieval of boats would be the reverse process of launching and hence a defacto queuing system is then set up and hence less frayed tempers all round.

Just my 2 cents worth on the subject.

regards Kit

Well done to council/the port authorities for building the facilities for fishos. The narrow space between the 2 floating wharves can be easily overcomed by designating one ramp a launching ramp and the other a retrieving ramp hence boats need not bump into each other and it would be a more time efficient way of launching and retrieving. Boats launching would tie their boats off at the first vacant space furthest from the ramp so as to allow the next person launching easier and safer passage.Retrieval of boats would be the reverse process of launching and hence a defacto queuing system is then set up and hence less frayed tempers all round.

Just my 2 cents worth on the subject.

regards Kit

Nice idea Kit, unfortunately we live the real world here and there are some people that think they can do what they like. You know the ones I mean. They run straight through the schools on the surface, they sit in your burly trail, they cut off your $25 popper etc etc. :mad3: I for one am going down to this ramp with a cut lunch and watch the fun :beersmile:

Its the best car park in Sydney. The 4 car ramp is great. The 2 wharfs constructed straight in the middle of the ramps is a worry. Hopefully after a few busy days the builders will work out a solution.

In the mean time I'll be down there filming for a shot of 1st prize on funniest home video's.

Regards Winch

• 2 weeks later...

Wish they would go mad on the northern beaches.... Please please give us a ramp at palm beach

they are looking after us pete, they forgot bout you :074:

I visted the ramp today and thought the same thing ? I watched a 5.6 metre and a 7 metre boat side by side in the centre ramp and there wasn't much room .... If only they had made it alot wider ... Good luck reversing your boat all the way out when windy and other boats tied along the walkway.... I can see alot of fun days there on a weekend......

Original Pic of Ramp and how it could have Been , Im sure it would not cost that much to change if its labelled a bit of a hazzard... Whats your views ?

post-692-1258029416_thumb.jpg post-692-1258029483_thumb.jpg

Top Pics Penguin... Cleaning table looks Space age..

Cheer Dogtooth.... :1fishing1: John... :beersmile:

I reckon leave it as it is and open one more on the right side of it, that would have made it a lot better