Couple Of Nice Ones

GregL

G'day Raiders

How good was the weather this arvo!

To good to pass up a late arvo bite we felt.

Punching out into a ENE swell, with trim tabs 3/4 in and sitting on 33kn, it didn't take us long to hit our usual starting point on our Sydney snapper run. With a light breeze blowing it was so nice to fish without the need of the sea anchor. With a perfect 0.5kn drift speed, it was easy fishing the 20m of water with a 3/8th on a 7" Jerk Shad in Curry Chicken.

It looked very fishy out there today, crystal clear water with a bit of north current and floating bits of weed scatted on the surface. With plenty of "stuff" on the sounder on every drift, it just had to happen. We were hooking the usual by-catch but not the snapper we wanted. It took us 7 drifts till we found fish that wanted to bite, it's just so unmistakable, the snapper bite when it finally does happen!

It's just so addictive!

Here's a few pics of two fish I got.

post-3563-1257936318_thumb.jpg

post-3563-1257936351_thumb.jpg

post-3563-1257936381_thumb.jpg

post-3563-1257936408_thumb.jpg

GregL

Edited by GregL

Greg,, i don't know whether i love you or hate you. :074: .... but i do know i would love to fish with you .

you are on the money again !!! nice one , well done.

very jealous, i fished Narrabeen lake last afternoon...just bait stealers. still top evening tho.

offshore on weekend , Longy, may see you out there. 25 bertie alchemy.

Once again, well done.

Dave

Greg, everytime I see a post from you I shed another tear!! I would kill for a snapper like that, we've been hitting longy over the last few months for only 2 baby reds :( it must be awsome to have a boat like yours ready to go when you are, Youve got the reds sorted..top stuff mate :1clap:

Thanks Guys

We really do put in the hours for the few quality fish we do catch. The other day we had my first donut on snapper but conditions were very poor and not really fishable :wacko:

It's really a matter of "lure in the water in the best spot, the most amount of time you can, will get the most amount of bite."

Lure fish is lure fishing and really all the same basics apply to all species. It's really either find the food or find the structure and you will find the fish! Then it's just a matter of being in the right area when the fish are on the chew.

The electronics on NEXT are a major part in our success. They help not only to find the right type of structure but also help mark where all our fish have been caught. Near every spot we have hooked a good fish, we have hooked more on following trips. They might not fire every time but sooner or later it will. It's just a matter of revisiting each spot till you find ones on the chew. ;)

In the month or so I have had the boat back were back into the 50's on fish marks on the GPS, already you can clearly see hot spots on my plotter, a couple of drifts threw an area will quickly tell you if the fish are on the chew there or not. If not, NEXT spot :biggrin2:

If your getting Bakered and catching Pots, at least you know the area is feeding and maybe worth a third drift, if your getting nothing move on.

Now we have around 7-8 spots we visit and always watch the sounder travelling to the NEXT spot for more potential sneaky grounds that might not be shown on the plotter ;) Even when travelling at high speed like 35kn+ my sounder can still read clear bottom and still picks up bait schools which is very handy in hunting new grounds. Driving different paths to the grounds so you get to read the areas bottom and hopefully stubble over a nice patch on the way is always nice.

If you really want to catch a snapper on plastics is just a matter of only taking plastics and only fishing for snapper and nothing else. We could be hooked onto kings near all day long but we make sure we don't wind fast on the retrieve or you will be unhooking kings all day! Stay focused and just keep flogging obvious areas where snapper would live, more make that where any fish would live in water less than 40m. Fish heavy gear with good jig heads that just make it to the bottom. Both of those fish had bent my jig heads and needed to be replaced, these are strong fish! The larger of the 2 we had it called as either a king or a good samson/amber until 2m before the net!

One last thing, they hate boat noise! Don't fish with the crowds, they just scare the fish off and NEVER drive the boat threw the fishing area, if someone else dose, I'd move and let it rest till later and come back. The group out at Longy last night that sheeped over to us must have wondered why we moved after only 4 casts???

G

G'Day Greg,

Awesome fish, if you ever need a deck hand let me know and I will join the que!

What electronics are you running in the contender??

Is the transducer shoot through or transom mounted??

Thanks again for the information on engine choice!

Regards,

Rob

G'Day Greg,

Awesome fish, if you ever need a deck hand let me know and I will join the que!

What electronics are you running in the contender??

Is the transducer shoot through or transom mounted??

Thanks again for the information on engine choice!

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob

Next runs twin Furuno NavNet screens with a 1kw threw hull transducer. Being a centre console I have one mounted in the bow so we can continually monitor our drift on the GPS plotter side and watch the sounder for bait schools and bottom structure. Sometimes it gets a little frustrating being able to see how much "stuff" is on the sounder and zero bites. That area is just not on the chew, well that's what I recon.....

Nice hat as well!

How long does it take you to get from the harbour to longy in NEXT, like 6 minutes??!

In standard 3pm weather, 15kns, our usual fishing time, about 30mins from Hunters Hill, our best is 24mins :biggrin2:

Tonight it took 1 hour from Longy to Hunters, boat washed and then back to Drummoyne and in the shower :thumbup:

Just made it in the car before the rain hit, fewwwwwwwwwwww!