Night Fishing Ban Considered In Harbour Wharves

Koalaboi

Hi Raiders,

This is in today's SMH (12/11/09).

As a regular beach user on the Central Coast I have to say that too many fishermen are leaving too much rubbish behind them. A walk along North Entrance beach on a Sunday morning will see much of the rubbish including empty beer bottles and plastic bait bags which are the most common. Nearby, the telltale marks in the sand of a fishing session.

I know Raiders are responsible citizens when it comes to littering but what more can we do? I clean up after them when I'm there (finding some good knives and once a $50 note in the process). I know others do too. But every time I go back new litter has been left.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGH!!!!!

Koalaboi

Council may ban night fishingJOSEPHINE TOVEY URBAN AFFAIRS

November 12, 2009

Troubled waters ... a father and son enjoy a spot of fishing at Bay Street Wharf. Photo: Brendan Esposito

A FULL moon above Sydney Harbour will bring out the meaty jewfish and other big catches worthy of a fisherman's boast.

But the fish will all be ones that got away if a Sydney council goes ahead with its plan to ban night fishing, a move campaigners say will further diminish the ability to enjoy fishing in the harbour.

Lane Cove Council has proposed a ban on fishing from council wharves between 6pm and 8am at weekends and 8pm and 6am on weekdays, ruling out the opportunity to cast a line there in the early morning or at night.

Peter Hawkes, 57, fished from the Lane Cove Council wharves for 20 years but moved to the Central Coast recently. He was appalled at the idea.

''There's nothing like fishing at night-time for relaxation,'' he said. ''The full moon attracts the baitfish and then the big fish chase the schools.''

According to a council report, the idea arose after a local woman slipped on some fish waste, or guts, that had been left on a wharf and fractured her ankle.

Several residents have also complained about raucous noise coming from the wharves at night.

The proposal for the ban is on exhibition until November 20.

The Shooters and Fishers Party MP, Robert Brown, said recreational fishermen already faced a shortage of spots on the harbour.

''Most of Sydney Harbour is private property on which you're not allowed to go. If you don't have a boat or a jetty or pontoon, there aren't all that many locations,'' he said.

''Council wharves tend to be accessible by public transport. Any day of the week you'll see school kids and retired folks there.''

A council spokesman told the Herald that meetings had been held with stakeholders and the council was open to finding another solution.

Mr Hawkes said he hoped the ban would not go ahead.

''If there's someone making noise get the police out and do something about it, but don't ruin everyone's recreation just because of a few people,'' he said.

The wharves, which include Bay Street and Greenwich Ferry, are owned by NSW Maritime but the council is responsible for cleaning them.

Edited by Koalaboi