Lake Lyell Trout Fishing

jembro

Hello.

I have recently moved from Canada. I have done lots and lots of rainbow trout fishing from shore float fishing (using a center pin - very common method in canada). Mostly for Steelhead (a lake running rainbow trout) and chinook salmon. I have much river experience catching them using flies and roe (we are allowed to use row in canada).

I would like to learn some trout fishing up around Lake Lyell. I live in the Sydney CBD. I do have a boat with a down rigger. I usually use it around the harbour for kingies but if I put a smaller gear on it, it can be used for trout.

I would like to learn to troll for trout. I would also like to learn when the best time to fly fish the rivers are and where to go.

I went up there once (before I had the boat) and didn't catch anything. I had no clue where to go though.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would like to know the following:

1) What time of year the rivers are the best

2) What time of year is it best to fish the lakes

3) Where are some good public places to fish

Also, if somebody is willing to join me and show me around that would be awesome. We can use my boat with the down rigger. It is a 5 meter 85 hp. Hopefully its not too big for that little lake. Or we can simply hit some good spots on the river from the shore.

Look forward to hearing from somebody for advice.

Also, can anybody reccomend a good guide up in that area?

Thanks.

Like Stewie mentioned, one of the best ways to locate Trout in Lyell is to use your sounder to find the schools of Gudgeon and then drift over it sending down soft plastics underneath the schools. Trolling this way is effective as well, using lures that run just under the gudgeon schools or utilising your downrigger.

I also agree that bait seems to be the most effective but I have had very good success spinning at times, especially in the upper reaches of the lake.

The main basin of the lake is quite deep and is suited to dowrigging, but to be honest its not necessary on Lyell most of the time. I have found it very effective just flat lining minnows along some of the cliff faces.

As for best times, well it gets very hot up there so Spring and Autumn would be my two picks (in fact most Trout fishing in Oz is best around these times).

Can't comment to much on the rivers as I am not a river trouty, better anglers here can tell you more.

Hey Stewie, we still haven't organised that session up at Pejar. Would be firing at the moment I reckon! I am up in the Snowies this week and it's been fishing awesome, will put a report up when I get back :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

Thanks Swordfisherman and Matt. The advice is much appreciated.

I will try Thomson dam and lake lyell over a weekend soon.

Do you guys think an 85 hp suzuki will scare the fish. Even if i'm quiet on the engine?

I don't have a trolling motor.

I don't know about the 85hp scaring the fish as such, I would be more worried about getting it to troll slow enough?

As for Thompsons, no there isn't any flow. There is a small creek but it has next to zero flow, the dam is a holding dam for the power stations up there, the water is pumped from Lyell.

Cheers

Windy

Hey mate

Should also point out no craft/vessel of any kind at Thompsons allowed, bank fishing only though you'd probably work that out after the 10 minute walk from the car park (the gate is shut to the dam except for security).

Cheers

TG

Hello.

I have recently moved from Canada. I have done lots and lots of rainbow trout fishing from shore float fishing (using a center pin - very common method in canada). Mostly for Steelhead (a lake running rainbow trout) and chinook salmon. I have much river experience catching them using flies and roe (we are allowed to use row in canada).

I would like to learn some trout fishing up around Lake Lyell. I live in the Sydney CBD. I do have a boat with a down rigger. I usually use it around the harbour for kingies but if I put a smaller gear on it, it can be used for trout.

I would like to learn to troll for trout. I would also like to learn when the best time to fly fish the rivers are and where to go.

I went up there once (before I had the boat) and didn't catch anything. I had no clue where to go though.

Also, if somebody is willing to join me and show me around that would be awesome. We can use my boat with the down rigger. It is a 5 meter 85 hp. Hopefully its not too big for that little lake. Or we can simply hit some good spots on the river from the shore.

Thanks.

You will need to check out water levels as they do close access at times to Lake Lyle

The power station at Wallerwrang has closed due to lack of water

The water comes via Lake Lyle so it sounds like threr may be no access

You can ring Lake Lyle to find out

You will need to check out water levels as they do close access at times to Lake Lyle

I was up there yesterday and there were plenty of boats on the water

Lyell is at 35% at the moment. It normally closes down around 25% or if the Blue Green Algae is really bad.

I wasn't aware that the Wallerawang Power Station had closed, my understanding is it is being worked on to utilise different water supplies?

You can check the levels here http://www.de.com.a

Cheers

Windy

The power station is still running strong - I was there today.

There is still good access to lake lyell at the moment I had the boat in there yesterday.

I wish I could give you some advice on fishing there but I have had very limited success. I have caught a couple of rainbows using powerbait and Gulp rainbow minnows.

Hello.

Thanks.

Hey there jembro

I too live in Sydney but on the north Shore side and if you ever need someone to go with you to do some fishing be it fly or lure,, just let me know.

Cheers

Adrian

hi,

apparently they are catching some bass there these days as well , you have to pay at the caretakers/kiosk area (10-$15 for a car +boat I think) to use the lake but it is all well sign posted and access easy once you cross dam wall about 8-10 kms from highway turnoff at lithgow

:icon_peace:

Yes, there are Bass in there. I got about 50 of them a year ago, all about 15cm long! I have heard of a better specimen or two but on the whole they don't seem to do that well, I think the Trout out compete them. If they established it would be a top mixed fishery.

Cheers

Windy

• 1 month later...

Well.

I think I may finally give it a try this Saturday morning. The weather isn't looking good for chasing kingies around but with all the rain it may be a good time try some trout fishing at tomsons.

Has anybody been there lately and had any success?

I have never been so I think I may show up with some power bait and some wet flies. I also have some tazzy devils and that sort of thing.

Any more advice on good bait to use?

Thompson Creek is lure and fly only,powerbait is not allowed in this dam.

Best time to hit Thommos is late may or early june.

Pink tassies work a treat there as well.

Cheers Swordfisherman

Good to know. Do you think it is worth a trip up there at this time of year or is it a waste of time?

• 2 weeks later...