Rock Hopper Boots

rockfisherman

Hi Raiders.

Over my last few rock fishing sessions I've noticed my boots havnt been gripping as well as they used to, and this morning my thoughts were confirmed when i skiied across a slimey rock, did the splits, landed on my rear and smashed my elbow.

Boy was i glad to get home.

What do people do when the spikes wear out??

Should I just fork out the cash and get a new pair??

Cheers.

Most of the good fishing stores will stock galvanised cleats for about $30- which comes with the nuts/bolts etc. All you need to do is drill 4 holes in your boots, or go to &&*&*& and buy some Volleys or similar and attach them. It is also a good idea to either araldite or mushroom the bolts so they won't come loose.

It only takes about 10 mins to complete the installation.

Try Fish Outta Water in Manly Vale- that's where I got mine.

If you do a lot of rock hopping then these are the first thing you should be buying- it will save your life!

I use those cleats from the tackle shop fitted to a pair of Volleys and they work ok. I pulled theinsole out and punched holes in the soles then bolted through then replaced the insoles. I didn't rinse the bolts after the first use and the corrosion did the arildite's job. I'm sure the bolts wont last forever but they seem fine now after a couple of years and i'll just replace bolts as required when they begin to look/feel a worry.

I was told by a more experienced rock fisho that when you fish rocks that have lots of little cracks or knobs that your cleats can get caught in or catch on and trip you over it is safer to use thick soled sandles or shoes with tech screws or self tappers in the bottom. I dont have a pair of the 2nd ones as i dont do alot of rock fishing on those type of rocks but it made sense to me.

If the teeth wear off the cleat style ones you can file the teeth back in of you're keen.

Take the time to think about where the cleats will be under your foot for comfort/effectiveness before installing. Volleys are good because they are still light when wet and dry quick

If it was up to me I'd get a new pair of proper rock-hopping boots. I used to have a set of those cleats fitted to a pair of shoes to use that on the rocks, but ended up throwing them out and getting a pair of mirage rockhopper boots. The cleats were uncomfortable and didn't grip nearly as well as the proper boots, especially in terms of grip from side to side.

If it was up to me I'd get a new pair of proper rock-hopping boots. I used to have a set of those cleats fitted to a pair of shoes to use that on the rocks, but ended up throwing them out and getting a pair of mirage rockhopper boots. The cleats were uncomfortable and didn't grip nearly as well as the proper boots, especially in terms of grip from side to side.

when you buy a pair you should buy some ice cleats as well ,so you can use the boots in most conditions and when you fish them sillpy rocks slip on the ice cleats ,been fishing the rocks for over 40 years and these are by far the best cleat i have ever used .

dcp03408.jpg

dcp03410.jpg

Hi Raiders.

Over my last few rock fishing sessions I've noticed my boots havnt been gripping as well as they used to, and this morning my thoughts were confirmed when i skiied across a slimey rock, did the splits, landed on my rear and smashed my elbow.

Boy was i glad to get home.

What do people do when the spikes wear out??

Should I just fork out the cash and get a new pair??

Cheers.

I go through quite a few pairs of boots and I don't mind buying new ones cause of the safety aspect and I feel a lot safer with good boots, anyway when my steel sprigs wear down I slice away the chunky rubber right next to the sprig, this gives me an extra 2 mm when this is done and they are good for another few months, it works well for me and gives my boots a double life..

Sorry to hear of your injury - I broke my elbow once & know how it feels! :(

I'm with Jewdreamer on this one - with the self tapping screws (like this one but shorter)

post-2231-1260251228_thumb.jpg

When screwed into the base of the shoe (where the angled ridges are) will renew the life of your rock hoppers for quite a while. When the one side is worn down, just turn the screw around to expose another edge until you need to replace them all.

Luderick59 has been using this system for years on his rockhoppers with no hassles.

I reckon cleats are dangerous, as not many people are used to walking on them & there is a much greater chance of tripping in them than the regular boots with pins or screws in them.

Or be extravagant & buy a new pair - they are only about $60 or less these days!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Ok... I managed to take some pics of my boots to show you.

These boots were used for maybe 1 year about 80 times. They were cleaned in warm soapy water after every use, as well I applied WD-40 to them frequently, however they still rust.

The bolts that come with them are rubbish- get your own stainless ones, and the nuts are self locking with plastic inside thread.

The Mirage Rockhopper boots are great- I think they cost around $80, and as you can see they have spikes on them but they wear down really fast.

Everyone has their favourite set up - either on sneakers/volleys or even sandals, but the neoprene boots are pretty durable.

I really recommend that you find a marine style araldite or similar to lock the nuts on- or in my boots I tried both that and also mushrooming the bolts. You just need to grind the bolts off.

Also, the cleats do wear down, but it is easy to re-cut grooves in them.

Hope this info helps you, and like I said before- if you do loads of rockhopping, then these are the first thing you should buy, and don't skimp, cause how much is your life worth?.

Cheers,

Matt

post-8890-1260252360_thumb.jpg

post-8890-1260252586_thumb.jpg

post-8890-1260252602_thumb.jpg

post-8890-1260252617_thumb.jpg

post-8890-1260252629_thumb.jpg

post-8890-1260252648_thumb.jpg

post-8890-1260252659_thumb.jpg

When screwed into the base of the shoe (where the angled ridges are) will renew the life of your rock hoppers for quite a while. When the one side is worn down, just turn the screw around to expose another edge until you need to replace them all.

Luderick59 has been using this system for years on his rockhoppers with no hassles.

I like this Roberta ! Will come in useful for when I need to replace my spikes run out. Is it just a matter of getting some short self tappers and screwing them straight into the sole of the boot ? I am guessing if you use too long a screw, you're screwed since it will go through the sole ?

I like this Roberta ! Will come in useful for when I need to replace my spikes run out. Is it just a matter of getting some short self tappers and screwing them straight into the sole of the boot ? I am guessing if you use too long a screw, you're screwed since it will go through the sole ?

You wont go through on heel part, as for the rest of the boot I inserted the screws on an angle because the first few I screwed in made a bulge on the inner sole of the boot...

That looks terrific, Rockfisherman!! When the edge of the screws gets worn on the sole, just half or quarter turn them to get a new lip exposed. I am not sure if I would use quite so many on the heel ...... I think that if they aren't too close together, they would actually grip better? Trial & error there, I guess - or just put them on the angle again, like you have on the sole!

Well done - it has given your boots a new lease on life, thanks to Luderick59 showing me that trick some years ago at Mona Vale rocks!!

Cheers

Roberta

I dont know if anyone knows this or if its been posted up before ..

With them boots, Dont put them on as soon as you get out of the car, Wait until you get onto the rocks then put them on, If you put them on earlier your only walking on the grass/road etc with them.. if you put it on at the rocks then they shouldnt wear out as quick !

:)

Cheers,

Hey guys,

I had a pair of mirage boots and wore the spikes down pretty fast. After that I brought a pair of mirage workboots and fitted them with cleats. The cleats I got are not the usual, they are hexagon shaped with every 2nd edge facing down. They are made out of top grade stainless steel and have flat edges, not spiked. I was optimistic at first but now I have used them I will never go back to regular cleats. I won't post here where I brought them but if someone is intrested pm me and I will send you the place to get them.

Regards

Daniel