Flint And Steel

Grantm

GDay Raiders,

Decided to battle the ramp at Parsley Bay on Sunday for fish at about 10.30 am, battle being the opperative word. Anyway we hit Hungry Beach area to see if we could pick up a few Flatties to start the day, and managed to boat a couple of small guys no probs just throwing Hawgs ang Gulps around.

Things quietened off so we thought we would see if Gunyah would fire. What a bastard of a place that is on a run in :ranting2: . Very hard to fish, so we changed tactics. The wind was picking up and we were still after some bigger flatties, so we headed to our ever reliable flattie spot and only managed one but dropped it.

The wind was still blowing where we normally find some cover so we thought we might as well go to Flint and Steel and try some new tricks. Sounded out a good bit of reef and anchored just off it on some gravel patches. Tried some deep jigging with quarter ounce jigs and bass minnows hoping to pick up a Bream and it wasnt too long before my fishing partner 'Oldmate' got wacked by 32cm model, pictured here.

All I could land was a bloody small Cod, a Slimey, and a Yakka on the plastics so I decided to go to my new (for me) unique tactic of a piece of tuna on a quarter ounce jig tossed up in the current and worked along the bottom as I did last week with success at the Rip. After a couple of casts got wacked by a nice 34 cm job, and soon after was smoked by a 40cm powerhouse which engulfed this rig, and is my Pb Bream check this out. :1clap:

Anyway between me and Oldmate we boated nine Bream between 32cm and 40 cm with Oldmate doing very well on watermelon Bass minnows and me continuing my bait jig. I still cant win a trick in the deep on plastics oh well who cares eh :badair: Cant complain thats for sure.

The day went on and we landed all kinds of bloddy things ancluding a massive eel and a 34cm Yakka :1yikes:

Then the fun started - we pulled out a nice fresh bag of Hawkesbury squid and baited up the 'big guns'. Within ten minutes Oldmate's rod went off, he grabbed it and struck hard. Bingo we're on . :1clap: After a five minute struggle upcame a beautiful Hawkesbury Jew and while battling friggen cruise wake he got it to the boat.

Enter problem number 1. How are we going to boat this whale. I pulled out what only can be described as a 'tea strainer' of a net and tried to net the sucker. The next drama was the two hook rig consisting of 8/0 hooks. The fish was only just hooked in the lip and the other hook swinging free. As soon as I netted the fish the loose hook grabbed the net and tangled. Shiiiiiiit. We stood there trying to untangle it and eventually did, but we had no way of boating this guy. We didnt want to keep it so we didnt manhandle it. Didnt matter anyway because one last big shake of the head the hook pulled and off he swam. First Jew for oldmate and we claimed it as landed (as you do). Along side the boat it lied at a conservative 90 to 100 cm's.

Having no intention to keep it, it was probably for the best we didnt boat it although a trophy shot would have been nice. Too busy tring to land it to take a shot but did get one of the fight.

As the sun was getting lower this place came alive with activity and we wished we could have stayed there, but alas we returned home from the best day out we have ever had, celebrating at the ramp with a couple of cold ones. Me with a pb Bream and Oldmate with a nice Jew. Cant wait to go again.

Cheers :thumbup:

Hey great report Grant and fantastic pictures as well. Congrats on the PB bream and I'll give you the points on the jew too. Top stuff. That jewey must have been a good fight and kept the adrenalin running for a few moments. :1clap:

Wombat :thumbup:

Guest Jocool

Good read Grant! :thumbup: Awesome Yakka too! Should have dropped that down as a livie.

By th way...If its alongside the boat...Its boated! :1clap::1clap:

Great report and great session

I've never fished F&S so I might have to give it a shot.

Reading that report is making me inpatient to wet a line, I didn't get out last weekend and not looking like getting a fish this w/e either :1badmood:

Oh well I suppose I'll just enjoy it more when I finally get out.

I gotta get myself a jewie sooner or later