Inflatable Life Jackets

david

Hi all,

i was wondering what is the go with inflatable life jackets. i have been shopping around for a few manual inflatable life jackets and found that a particular marine store is selling marlin brand for $70, the next price up is $110.00 for burke brand. i am a little hesitant about by them as they seem to be cheap yet they (meaning the store) say the jackets are no different to the other brands.

i was wondering are they all the same? does anyone own either of the 2 and have any info on them like, if they are comfy etc or brands that you would recommend?

your advice would be great as i hope to buy a few soon for people on board..

Thanks in advance

Dave

Hi all,

i was wondering what is the go with inflatable life jackets. i have been shopping around for a few manual inflatable life jackets and found that a particular marine store is selling marlin brand for $70, the next price up is $110.00 for burke brand. i am a little hesitant about by them as they seem to be cheap yet they (meaning the store) say the jackets are no different to the other brands.

i was wondering are they all the same? does anyone own either of the 2 and have any info on them like, if they are comfy etc or brands that you would recommend?

your advice would be great as i hope to buy a few soon for people on board..

Thanks in advance

Dave

I have personally seen one of these jackets only inflate on one side when deployed. Although funny at the time, 30 seconds before the start of a tournament, it could have been disastrous had this have occurred in an emergency situation, forcing the wearer to be side on in the water.

On my boat, everyone wears a PFD when we are under power, be it tournament fishing or social. I personally have used this style of jacket. Yes they are comfortable, but I've since reverted back to wearing a full vest type. They are not that bulky, and I have the piece of mind that if I go overboard unconscious. whilst underway, I don't have to remember to deploy the jacket.

You should also know, these inflatable PFD's require regular servicing to manufacturers recommendations. If you don't follow this service regime, the PFD will not comply with maritime safety regulations.

Regarding the difference between the brands, I don't think you'll see much difference between them if they are kept regularly serviced.

Cheers, Greg

Hi, yes alot of different quality out there and I have seen the real cheap ones and I do not like them. We supply the Evinrude branded ones and they are good quality and for Raiders this one only costs $100 and we have sold many of these without issues.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Everyone ,

I would just like to point out that all inflatable PFD 's need to be serviced every 12 months to be waterways friendly as a lifejacket . All inflatable PFD have a manufacturing date and if yours is more than 12 months old it will not be counted as a lifejacket...

Cheers Dogtooth... :1fishing1: John... :beersmile:

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/sbh/bh2008-part2.pdf

Good point Dogtooth, I recently purchased one of the Marlin PFDs and their cheap because their manufactured a year ago and due for service, not a problem if you intend to to do you own maintenance however if your paying someone else you might as well buy a dearer (newer one). If you do decide buy make sure you carry a service log on board as well to stay on the right side of the water police.

Regards Charles

Edited by zook2001

The servicing is a replacment gas cartridge that inflates the device.

If you do go this way, the biggest point I found with the cheap ones is the buckle/clip that does them up.

I had a few that I won at a couple of comps, they had a metal buckle that was a pain to thread threw itself to do up. most of my friends are very simple :tease: and struggled with this type! :074: My others had a normal plastic clip which is way simple and what logically should be on all.

Personally I only put the standard vest type on the boat mainly so I don't have to remember to service the inflatables but I do use an inflatable one when fishing solo but is a automatic Stormy Seas which is clipped to my engine kill switch incase I fall out while under way.

G

hi swordy,

your welcome!! :biggrin2:

i just got back (from a 2hr drive there and back) from a boat store thats services them, for them to tell me i could do it myself :mad3: must admit though he was very helpful and explained to me how to do it and what to look for whilst its inflated etc. so if you guys need a heads up will be willing to help when i get a sec from work.

anyway i must say a big thank you to all you raiders for your help in understanding these new devices and i hope my next post will be about the fish i have caught over my xmas holidays from work which start mid next week.

Dave

You can actually get automatic inflatable PFDs that are as comfortable as the pull cord type but actually inflate once you hit the water. That way if you're knocked out before you can pull the cord then you'll still be ok, in theory. I've never actually used them so don't really know anything much about them except that they are available, but they seem to be the best of both worlds I think...

I Have bought 2 of the pull cord inflatable types over the past couple of years.

Have found on opening them up that the manufactured date puts them at a couple of years old. I struggled to buy a new one last month from a variety of retailers that was actually manufactured in 2008 let alone 2009

Went about questioning the sales guy who claims that the service is only reqd from 12 months from date of purchase.

The accompanying blurb on my Marlin vest (latest purchase) agrees with this and says:

Gas bottle checked or replaced every one year after purchase.

PFD should be serviced every 2 years from date of purchase.

It would appear from this communication that my vest cannot deteriorate whilst sitting on a shop shelf and only requires service after it has been exposed to the ravages of service.

I have plasticised this instruction and the purchase receipt and have in my tackle box as evidence for waterways when they inevitably question me on it.

Still tracking down a service provider for inspecting the older one of my two PFD,s as I dont believe you can do it yourself unless you have some form of certification to do so ?? - happy to stand corrected on this point if anyone knows the answer.

Cheers

John

You can actually get automatic inflatable PFDs that are as comfortable as the pull cord type but actually inflate once you hit the water. That way if you're knocked out before you can pull the cord then you'll still be ok, in theory. I've never actually used them so don't really know anything much about them except that they are available, but they seem to be the best of both worlds I think...

I've read about those and they sound interesting. I guess they don't inflate in super heavy rain, eh!

Baz

I have used Mustang survival vests for years and they are great http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/category.php?t=1

How much is your life worth?.

I say that because all too often people skimp on safety gear- especially for boats, and that one time you need it...

Just the same as buying a quality Sat Phone or EPIRB..

You want to spend that night with your family, not in the company of Davey Jones.

Edited by Nanook
  • Like 1

.... for them to tell me i could do it myself must admit though he was very helpful and explained to me how to do it....

Hi Dave

What did they say about servicing the jackets, other than replace the gas bulb every year? How would the authorities know that you have serviced it? I have 2 for our yaks, as they are much more comfy than the normal ones. I also have an inflatable fly vest too (got it in NZ when fly fishing the big rivers) - i guess I could just wear it on the yak as well as it has pockets for things!! Never thought of that! :wacko:

cheerio

Roberta

Hi Guys

I have just had my 3 manual inflatable PFD1 jackets serviced at the large boat shop / marine chandlery at Blakehurst. Cost of $20 per unit and they advised me that they have to be inflated, checked for 48 hours to ensure no leaks and then have the gas cylinder replaced and repacked. The service record tab on the inside of the jacket is marked with date of service and name of agent.

I carry both inflatable and full PFD type 1 jackets in my boat- normally wear the inflatables when night fishing and the standard fitted jackets when crossing bars or at heightened risk situations. At the least , its cheap insurance and compared to the money I spend on tackle , lures , bait etc its a minor cost.

regards Bill :fisher::fisher:

Edited by Suttons Curse

I seeked clarification from MSB in regards to requirements for servicing of inflatable life jackets. The answer I received was that all need to be serviced every 12 months. If the manufacturer supplies details the user can carry out the service but if the manufacturer does not supply details they must be serviced by an authorised dealer.

Hope this helps.

I seeked clarification from MSB in regards to requirements for servicing of inflatable life jackets. The answer I received was that all need to be serviced every 12 months. If the manufacturer supplies details the user can carry out the service but if the manufacturer does not supply details they must be serviced by an authorised dealer.

Hope this helps.

I woudn't have these inflatable pull cord type life jackets in my boat at all, including the little open 12'6" bay river boat that I have... There are good quality multi fit or one size fits all life jackets around from colourful pd 3's to pd 1's for bays and open waters etc that will fit every member of the family....

They might cost a little bit more than $80 but are well supportive and made comfortable enough to be worn all day.. the particular ones I'll use exclusively in my boat from now are PD1's made in Fiji and I'll be scrapping the rest which I have in all shapes and sizes...

These particular life jackets feel nice and cosy in the winter, tho they tend to be warmer in summer of course, but cool long sleeve clothing worn underneath does actually reduce a good deal of the warmth you'd expect in the summer due to their ventilated type looseness for want of a beter word....

With inflatables, there is always the worry to me that the pull cords or the gas units themselves may not function properly when expected for whatever the reason be, expiry dates, malfunctions or whatever and particularly when worn by the children who you may be responsible for in all situations....

Anyway that's only my opinion and it's the way I feel about any type of pull cord inflatable life jacket particularly when your life jackets need to be soley and completey relied on...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

• 10 months later...

A quick link to self servicing PFD's NSW Maritime

A quick way to check canister is to weigh it, any less than what's stamped on it and get rid of it, also corrosion etc.

Apparently you can self service if.....

Under NSW Marine Safety (General) Regulations 83 (4) an inflatable PFD is not an 'appropriate' item in conformity with the Regulations unless it is serviced in accordance with the manufacture's instructions. In respect of PFDs on which there is no service requirement stated or where a DIY kit is provided, NSW Maritime have advised as follows:-

An inflatable PFD is required to be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions (Clause 83(4) Marine Safety (Gen) Reg 2009). The legislation does not stipulate that all lifejackets be serviced by an authorised service agent, but the question to be answered then is, 'what are the 'manufacturers instructions' ?'

Some PFD manufacturers issue DIY service kits, which makes it clear that the manufacturer's instructions are, that self service is allowed. If the PFD is a brand for which manufacturers issue a self service kit, then the owner can service it themselves by use of the kit.

If it is a brand that the manufacturer does not issue a self service kit, then in the absence of documentation from the manufacturer to say otherwise, the PFD must be serviced by a qualified service agent.

Although the YA SRs do not state a period for self servicing, note under the previous SRs the period was annually or as stated by the manufacturer, the NSW law is clear. Under NSW Regulation 83(4) (servicing must be at not less than 12 month intervals or such longer period as the manufacturer may specify.

• 1 month later...

I have used an Auto Inflate unit for years while yachting and it gets very wet on the outside. Has not accidentally inflated yet. Decided to check/service and once submerged,off it went (Bourke brand). You need to replace not only the cyclinder, but the self inflating valve too (about $35 set from OS supplier). Really comfortable on light wind (dry) hot days where full vest would be too hot.

I love them.

Edited by V-LOCK

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i realise this is a boating section but if you are a rock fisho the auto inflatable jackets could be very dangerous if they inflate while you're still close to the rocks, it would be impossible to try swim away from rocks of it's inflated already or very hard. it could also cause an issue if you are trying to get away from the boat or some other obstacle in the water getting smashed around while you're in the drink

banging your head before you hit the water obviously doesnt help of course but there is that second aspect which no one here mentioned.

im trying to find a deal on one of these manual inflatable ones myself as i mainly rock fish. I usually stay clear of hairy spots but a rogue wave can show up on a super calm day as well and surprise a fisho so its not a bad idea to wear one anyway.

Edited by dinos22

Does anyone know wether a bumbag type inflatable life jacket meets waterways requirement while around your waste in the bag and not inflated around your neck.

Yes it does, the bumbag I perchased was quite old, so carry your recept if you decide to use one.

"Do the “bum bag” style lifejackets meet legislative requirements?

The new bum bag style lifejackets meet the legislative requirements provided the waistband buckle is properly secured and provided they are marked by the manufacturer as meeting the relevant standard acceptable to NSW Maritime."

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/wh/lifejacket_reforms_faqs.html