Bream-fest

Lightweight

I decided on Sunday arvo after working most of the weekend to go for a flick on the run in tide with Lisa up the Hunter river, there was some reports around that there where plenty of Bream bieng caught both in the harbour and the river over the last week, some said that the combination of the fresh and the the big seas we saw last week was a good sign that that there would be plenty of action. I put the boat in on the western side of Stockton bridge this time as there was a fairly gusty NW wind, probably blowing about 15-20knots by the time i got the boat in the water. The high was around 4:30 so i wanted to fish the rise and see if i could break my previous record for Bream. As soon as i arrived at my fav spot, BANG. :yahoo: I knew it was a godd size Bream as it spooled a fair bit of my 6lb line into the distance, after a good fight and about 5 mins i had my first kilo+ bream for the day... The action was hot for the next hour, we bagged 4 very nice fish and threw back around 10, 30cm+ specimens to see another day. In the process i lost a few and we bagged a few good lizards as well as Lisa loosing a good size dusky, prob around the 60cm mark. All in all it was a top session on the water... i know where i will be heading this WE if the weather is kind. All fish where caught on very fresh Stockton Bight prawns and 3inch pearl/blue minnows. I was slow drifting and using a different berley this time, just on the edge of the wind swept water... the bigger fish seemed to be taking cover just on the edge of the rough water!

post-516-1112747174_thumb.jpg

post-516-1112747185_thumb.jpg

I decided on Sunday arvo after working most of the weekend to go for a flick on the run in tide with Lisa up the Hunter river, there was some reports around that there where plenty of Bream bieng caught both in the harbour and the river over the last week, some said that the combination of the fresh and the the big seas we saw last week was a good sign that that there would be plenty of action. I put the boat in on the western side of Stockton bridge this time as there was a fairly gusty NW wind, probably blowing about 15-20knots by the time i got the boat in the water. The high was around 4:30 so i wanted to fish the rise and see if i could break my previous record for Bream. As soon as i arrived at my fav spot, BANG. :yahoo:  I knew it was a godd size Bream as it spooled a fair bit of my 6lb line into the distance, after a good fight and about 5 mins i had my first kilo+ bream for the day... The action was hot for the next hour, we bagged 4 very nice fish and threw back around 10, 30cm+ specimens to see another day. In the process i lost a few and we bagged a few good lizards as well as Lisa loosing a good size dusky, prob around the 60cm mark. All in all it was a top session on the water... i know where i will be heading this WE if the weather is kind. All fish where caught on very fresh Stockton Bight prawns and 3inch pearl/blue minnows. I was slow drifting and using a different berley this time, just on the edge of the wind swept water... the bigger fish seemed to be taking cover just on the edge of the rough water!

40863[/snapback]

Nice catch Lightweight ,nice lizard mate

Tommy Jewie Hunter :thumbup:

Guest fishrunner

5 mins,, that's a great fight for a bream on 6lb! :thumbup: , did you get him on the flats opp ramp, I ussually hit the fingers when I'm up there, :1fishing1: , well done to get him in the boat. cheers

did you get him on the flats opp ramp

Hi runner,

Nah it was on the edge of a hole, just in the turbid water created by the strong NW wind, because of the way the shore is structured there was a good bit of clean water protected, but as soon as I moved into the windy area that is where they seemed to be hiding. I think it was more luck than good planning, but I have learnt a valuable lesson. The bigger fish where in the messy area and the smaller Bream where in the calmer water. Maybe the bigger fish feel safer or they can ambush their prey a bit better when there is more disturbance?

LW