What Is An Eddy?

ritchie

You'll find in the river it's easy to locate as the rubbish will be going around untill the tide turns & it starts to float out of the whirlpool. I've found that while it is swirling the fish stay away,however when it stops fish come in as they must get whatever was swirled up. :1fishing1: Their caused by a stucture in the water that the current hits & comes back on itself. This may not be visable as it may be something under the water.

Regards Jeff

therefore the eddie's fish well after it stops swirling?.. or do they fish well regardless due to the depth?

I think I have seen this effect around the pylons and structure and kinda scared to take my boat there given my lack of exp in boating and being a poor swimmer i am! :biggrin2:

im gonna be looking for eddies next time!

If the eddy is caused by a bridge pylon or similar it will make the water very calm in close to the structure & this is where big fish hold waiting for passing food as they don't waste energy fighting the current. It's a safe spot to fish however beware when the current stops running change to the other side of the structure or you will crash into it very quickly.The opposite is the fishing of swirling eddy's, these you fish when they stop, that is the top & bottom of the tide. These can be a little tricky if caught in one fishing out of a small boat & are useless to fish when working anyway,so only fish when stopped.

Regards Jeff