Any Squid In Pittwater?

pogo

G'day all

Heading out for a Jewie expedition tomorrow night and was wondering if any one has been getting any squid in Pittwaterover thelast few days.

Did notice that someone posted and said they got pike in the basin?coasters retreat so might try and pick up a couple of them but do like to have fresh or live squid if they are available.

Regards POGO

Yep thats a good spot, near the Palm beach jetty is another.

But sometimes they're around and sometimes you cant find them so I thought I'ld ask if there have been any about before we put time into checking out the spots as we are going to be a bit limited for time before we want to be up in the river.

Regards POGO

Guest Jocool

Search back through the reports...But I think Martin gave some pretty exact spots to try for squid in The Basin!...Maybe have been someone else though...Martin or Big Banana! :1prop:

Guest Target

I had some squid follow some soft plastics in Portugese bay on the weekend, but as soon as I put a squid jig on they were gone :(

If you want squid, and have a boat, west head and the joey are the spots to go.

I have my special spot near west head, but it only fires on higher than a half tide, and no, you will never get that spot from me, a few people know it and thats enough :) Get out there and find the kelp, and you will find the squid. Do alot of searching on calm days and you will soon see if there are squid around, you will see the follows. windy days you get squid, but you dont see the follows.

Adrian

Thanks Target,

We'll get out and try and catch some pike at the basin and maybe have a flick of the squid jigs there and around west head as we go round to the rver.

Thanks for your help, I wasnt actually trying to lift evrybodies favourite squid spot, just wanted to know if there wer any about at the moment before we use up an hour trying to catch some when they arent about.

Regards POGO

I've had some success in the evenings around the ramp at Akuna bay, always worth a try.

Does anyone ever get any squid in the day? mine are always at dawn or dusk but lately i have been fishing the afternoon tides so i havent really had a chance to get any.... any day time tips?

Guest Target

Duke

I still get squid up to 9 or 10 in the morning at some spots, but find they fire better depending upon tides rather than time.

I have had squid attack livies all through the day, so theres no reason why you couldnt get them, just hard to coax them in my spots which are fairly shallow when the sun gets up.

Adrian

I have been successful getting squid in pittwater anytime of the day and usually when others are doing it tough finding them. My tip is have a squid jig on one rod and watermellon bass minnow on 1/32 on another and target wharves and pontoons with weed patches underneath them. when squid are around they will hit the bass minnow continually (although u cant hook them) and u can draw them out. when they are in sight leave the minnow in the water and drop the squid jig and the squid will move on to the jig immediately. This is not so effective around the joey/west head as the swell makes it a bit harder to see the squid. Also in for a good chance of a bream aswell and there are some stonkers in pittwater.

MMMMMMMM Handy tip there,

Thanks guys got one only in the basin, limited time due to fading light and wanted to be out at F &S by just before dark.

Picked up another out at F & S

Regards POGO

Sorry for the delayed response.. I'd posted a bit over a week ago on catching pike/squid in the basin so it was probably my original post u were referring to.. works been a killer and I wish I'd read your post sooner :05:

I've seen and caught squid at the basin a couple of times now. Where they've been before:

- If you go in towards the shark net for the lagoon theres a very distinct dropoff

- Facing the sharknet, at the dropoff point, they've been in the weedbeds to the lefthand side.. they are usually around the dropoff point and have been easy to spot

Like Rick T says they do follow and can be drawn in with other lures so if you dont see them or have success with a jig immediately try throwing some SPs around

In saying that I was there 2 weeks ago and found none - I was talking to a local that day and he had not seen them around for a week or so.

I did however have some fun with the pike in there on SPs... Lost a few tails but had fun sight casting at them. They are at the same spot as I described for the squid. :biggrin2:

Thanks Jaso'

We got ours castin over the weed and rock along the southern shore near the first ferry wharf.

Ivecaught them near the dropoff too but find they disappear from there if there has been rain, tide also important there I think.

i reckon they do move around in PW depending on rain and the prevailing winds as well.

Any others got any theories

Regards POGO