Shimano Stella

The thing main to worry about here is the tension needs to be right or you will find when running high drag the line on the spool will cut into each other which will result with line breakages. Do it righ the first time will save you plenty of trouble later on.

What line rating you plan on using Cantab, for GT's I would go around PE8 this will be safe to a certain extent, but you may still get bricked. But that is all part of the fun!!!

Edited by SZ1

HI Cantab, I am not sure what lb backing i used it was just what ever I had at that moment i think it was 14lb or 20lb it doesn't really matter as the backing is only used for preventing line slippage.

Pe6 80 would be more then ample and won't be over kill for Syd fishing when you get back.

Have fun mate and look forward to you report when you get back.

Cheers,

Sz1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice.

I managed to use a mates downrigger for the job.

First attempt left me spewing, applied heaps of pressure & wound onto reel off downrigger, only to find, close to the end & near exhaustion the line had a bad taper towards the top of spool!

Had to wind all the line off spool, add 2 washers & re do it a few days later.

Anyway, finally got it on evenly and to my surprise 550m PE6 80lb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I personally am not a big fan of paying overs for a reel that offers not much more than a $259 Fin nor, if i had my time again i know what i would be doing and thats not buying one of these reels hence why i tried to give some advice its amazing what advertising does to us,

i 2nd this comment i fitted 600m of 80lb braid on my fin nor easily 28kg drag quality finish havnt heard one bad thing about these reels guys in the states have pulled out 160lb yellow fin on the reels, over and over best bang for your buck.

Edited by mc fishn

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for some advice...

I am going to Fiji for a 10 day fishing trip in March & am thinking of buying a Stella 18000SW & maybe a Shimano GT Special.

I live in Sydney & fish from both rocks & boat both inside & outside harbour, mainly for kingfish.

Now this is a lot of cash to outlay but I think I'm in need of a treat and never really splurged on fishing gear too much before.

I'm sure the combo above would be great for the 10 days in Fiji but overkill for my usual fishing here in Sydney.

So, I thought maybe I could get away with the Stella 10000SW in Fiji, which would also be more usable at home.

The other factor which makes it hard is that there is little difference in price between the 10000 & 18000.

Any thoughts/advice/past experience much appreciated!

Hey mate,

What did you decide on and how was Fiji?

Russ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a Stella 18k and love it. If you haven't tried one - on a decent fish - then it probably does not add any value to comment. The fact they provide a 10 year warranty gives me some peace of mind but once you have used one on a 40kg samson or a15kg king you will know and appreciate the difference. Yes we are most likely being over charged in Australia being a small market, but you still get what you pay for.

I personally am not a big fan of paying overs for a reel that offers not much more than a $259 Fin nor, if i had my time again i know what i would be doing and thats not buying one of these reels hence why i tried to give some advice its amazing what advertising does to us,

i 2nd this comment i fitted 600m of 80lb braid on my fin nor easily 28kg drag quality finish havnt heard one bad thing about these reels guys in the states have pulled out 160lb yellow fin on the reels, over and over best bang for your buck.

I have to agree here. To just open a stella costs $140 I was told by my local store, and have heard bearing replacement is about $300 ($140 inclusive).

You can get yourself 2 Saragossa's fully spooled with qaulity braid for the cost of a stella with no braid.

Have I owned a stella? Yes iv owned 2, and a morethan branzino, and I just can not seem to justify the excessive cost for the reel. If I was fishing hard out 8 hours a day 5 days a week, and of those 8 hours, 3 hours the reel was working solid ie turning or having drag peeling off at 15kg, I would say it's justified.

Now back to the post...

If your going for BIG fish, getting the line spooled by machine is a good idea, otherwise it messes up your line lay. Under heavy drag the line will crimp in.

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

• 4 weeks later...